Today's Blues Playlist

Johnny Winter-"Early Heat" Kind of a BS compilation CD but there are some great Blues cuts mixed with some early Pop and R&B that it seems Johnny is doing the James Brown thing. Amoung all the great stuff out there by Johnny this would not be my recommendation to anyone beginning to have interest in him. Actually I would not recommend a compilation of ANY artist for someone to begin with. Not my favorite format at all. Sometimes you find something like Early Heat in some bargain bin for a buck or three. Then I go for it for riding disc's......

In my current rotation:

Chris Duarte Group - Blue Velocity
Joe Bonamassa - Sloe Gin
Johnny Winter - Nothin' But The Blues and White, Hot & Blue
Albert Castiglia - A Stone's Throw

In my current rotation:

Chris Duarte Group - Blue Velocity
Joe Bonamassa - Sloe Gin
Johnny Winters - Nothin' But The Blues and White, Hot & Blue
Albert Castiglia - A Stone's Throw

Now THAT'S some guitar, baby.
I don't have Joe's "Sloe Gin" yet. Have all his other stuff. How do you like it?

Now THAT'S some guitar, baby.
I don't have Joe's "Sloe Gin" yet. Have all his other stuff. How do you like it?

As usual, it's great stuff! I also have his Blues Deluxe, Had To Cry Today and A New Day Yesterday Live. Can't get enough!

And speaking of Johnny Winter, I just dug out my copy of Muddy Waters' Hard Again. Waters, Winter and James Cotton - all on the same album. Damn, it doesn't get any better than that!

Picked up a neat one on our trip to Encore Records out in Ann Arbor after the SMAC meet Saturday.

"Gonna Be a Live One in Here Tonight" by Luther Allison on Rumble Records. Good music with that great blues bar sound

Jimi Hendrix, ":blues", 200g vinyl, 2-LP, Classic Records. Excellent sound and clear, blue vinyl.

Attachments

• jimi_hendrix_blues.jpg
    jimi_hendrix_blues.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 9
Big Mama Thornton: with the Muddy Waters Blues Band—1966
Big Mama was one of the greatest (if not the greatest) women blues singers (she also played harmonica very well) of the postwar era. Little known today because of the misfortune of having her greatest hit "Hound Dog" (the #1 song on the R&B charts for seven weeks in 1953 which sold over 2 million copies) covered by Elvis. Needless to say Big Mama's version is mostly forgotten, even though it's a better, grittier version than Presley's (Big Mama definitely ain't talkin' bout no dog).
This CD finds her backed by a nonpareil band. Muddy Water's mid 60's unit featuring Muddy on guitar, James Cotton-harmonica, Otis Spann-piano, Sam Lawhorn-guitar, Luther Johnson-bass, and Francis Clay-drums. But even with such stellar backing its still Big Mama's show. If your blues collection contains very few blueswomen, this is a great place to start. Big Mama's still at the top of her game, and there was no greater blues band at the time than Muddy's. Great sound and great music.
Also pick up a greatest hits collection (one that features her 50's material) and decide for yourself which version of "Hound Dog" is best.

Last edited:
Time for some esoterica. I'll list a few people who are relatively unknown, but worth finding and listening to.
Doctor Ross—The Harmonica Boss: I'd Rather Be An Old Woman's Baby Than A Young Woman's Slave
Supposedly given the "Doctor" nickname, while in the Army during WWII, because of his interest in medical books. What he really was was a doctor of boogiology. This CD of material mostly from the 50's, features the Doctor on guitar and harmonica (which he played simutaneously ala Bob Dylan) and band. If you think it was mainly John Lee Hooker doing the boogie groove at the time, give this a listen. Some truly spectacular boogie material, in addition to straight ahead blues.
In the 60's the Doctor started a one-man band gimmick (you can see him doing this on Vol 3 of "The American Folk Blues Festival" DVDs). Never commercially successful (like far too many black blues artists), he held down a day job at General Motors in Michigan for some 30+ years.
Some sound not up to real hifi standards for the time, but the music is first rate. The boggie stuff will get you shakin' your booty (even sitting down). If you like harmonica blues find this CD and give it a listen. It quickly went from wondering who he was to my frequent play list.

Back
Top Bottom