Today's classical playlist

Beethoven
Bicentennial Collection
Music for Violin and Cello - Vol. X
-DG-

IMG_5389_zpscn72wcpv.jpg

I just pulled out one of those boxes off the shelf to look for a particular Piano Concerto recording (which isn't featured in this set, alas). I have the first 12 volumes; never found the full set.

Format: LP
Composer(s):
Glasunow; Martin; Rivier; Villa-Lobos
Title:
"Virtuouse Saxophonkonzerte"
Artist(s):
Detlef Bensmann et al
Year:
WEST GERMANY
Label:
SCHWANN MUSICA MUNDI
Catalogue:
VMS 2065

Not found on Discogs.

WIN_20171209_21_13_10_Pro.jpg

IMG_4644.JPG IMG_4646.JPG

Going to listen to two versions of Bolero tonight. This one of which I've never heard before and I will post the next one to which is a brand new pressing to me. Both on the Fisher tube integrated X-100.

S.J.

IMG_4649.JPG

I had to play one more version, the first pressing I ever found of Bolero at a thrift. This pressing is superb. The dynamics of the record and the separation of the instruments is stunning. 1963, Andre Cluyten. This is the best interpretation I own of Bolero. Ravel's other work on this one is just as superb. That's all I have to say about that. All who own this pressing know to what I speak.

S.J.

I just pulled out one of those boxes off the shelf to look for a particular Piano Concerto recording (which isn't featured in this set, alas). I have the first 12 volumes; never found the full set.
I wish I could find more but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen. Too bad because it's a great collection of music both in content and sonics.

I think I like this performance better than the one on RCA's Living Stereo. You can get these dirt cheap, forget the RCA copy they are expensive. I own a reissue which is suppose to be real good, done by AP.

R-2076913-1339814868-3763.jpeg.jpg

Richard Strauss - Eugene Ormandy - The Philadelphia Orchestra ‎– Also Sprach Zarathustra, Op. 30
Label:
Columbia Masterworks ‎– MS 6547
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Stereo
US
Released:
Genre:
Classical

View attachment 1062841

Ormandy was a largely underrated conductor during his lifetime, at least by the critics, IMHO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom