Today's eBay Packing Tip

F

foetusized

Before packing a CD changer using styrofoam peanuts, close the door on the front. Bonus points for some plastic wrapping around the whole thing.

Actually, I can't complain too much. Once I got the foam (whole peanuts and little crumbs) vacuumed out of the innards, the changer (a 101-CD Pioneer PD-F907 for $50ish with shipping) is working just fine, and is in pristine condition. The extra clean-up job wasn't too hard a diversion on a cold day frozen in at home. It was a shock when I opened the box, though -- Foe

I don't use peanuts. Don't put them in packages, don't shove the real ones up my nose for a sophomoric prank even. They shift. You can't convince the godless communist masses they're evil either. Get used to being a repairman as a prerequisite for auction buying. :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn:

Have a matching CT-810 and CA-810 that the seller packed with nothing but peanuts. Both pieces made it to and through the cardboard and now have matching smashed lower front corners (its never the back corners - why not?). Seller said, "tough shit - take it up with UPS". Needless to say, he got negative feedback.

The front end is usually heavier or has greater mass and therefore gravity and likewise inertia act on it in disproportion. Same theory behind toast and pancakes falling on the buttered side.

They put foam blocks in the corners (reused from the packaging of some other machine), so the peanuts really didn't serve any purpose other than getting inside the CD player. One of the blocks was crushed into those little discrete crumbs of styrofoam, and those were everywere inside and outside of the player. Even without the peanuts, there was no reason to leave the bloody door open -- Foe

Back
Top Bottom