Todays ECM Recordings Playlist

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by olson_jr, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

:thumbsup:

I've been enjoying Holon quite a bit lately. "Modul 42" was featured on the ECM documentary Sounds and Silence, and that was just enough to get me to check out an album's worth. I have Continuum here but haven't listened to it much yet, although there is a lot of similarity between that and his other recordings I've heard so far. I don't mean that in a repetitive way (as in, the albums all sounding the same), but in that stylistically, there is no mistaking any of them for anything but Bartsch's style. And if you you like this one, you'll likely enjoy the others.

Bartsch's music often reminds me of programmed synthesizer loops (and even electronica/trance), yet it's all done live, performed together as a group, with acoustic instruments. Maybe that's why it clicks with me? I like hearing when existing styles are "mashed" together to create something new. I also pick up on the subtle changes and little things going on in the background. I'll also admit it's not for everyone--at worst, it can all seem like endless repetitive patterns, and the improvisation (what little there is of it) does not stray far from the main theme.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. olson_jr

olson_jr AK Subscriber Subscriber

This looks like one of those "What is different in these pictures" puzzles.

1. The white van is now there
    2. The garbage can is on other side of the lamp post
    3. Painted lines on the street are a different color.

Wildcat likes this.
  3. olson_jr

At the 2014 Detroit Jazz Festival Prism, (featuring Dave Holland, Kevin Eubanks, Eric Harland and Craig Taborn) played on the main stage. Some of my buddies went over to see it while I stayed at another stage to watch Gary Burton with Julian Lage. So glad I stayed for Gary as Prism was described to me as a Kevin Eubanks wank fest!

Have not been able to listen to them since.

4. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

I have to admit I listened to the Prism album recently and wasn't too impressed, certainly not enough to ever play it again. IMHO it felt to me like the album was going in a way different direction than the others and was a bit "guitar heavy" for my taste, way outside Kevin's usual style. I guess that's the sound Holland was going for with this lineup--that's all I can figure. I figure everyone has a "clunker" of an album they've recorded in their lifetimes (and apparently, festival gigs to go with it).

I prefer Kevin on his own, or on the earlier Dave Holland Extensions album, to be honest.

olson_jr likes this.
  5. olson_jr

Big fan of Dave's big band recording, What Goes Around.

Wildcat likes this.
  6. olson_jr

[​IMG]

Wildcat likes this.

7. olson_jr

[​IMG]

Wildcat likes this.
  8. pmsummer

pmsummer simul justus et peccator

[​IMG]

CEREMONY
    and other works
    Barry Guy
    Praeludium of Mystery Sonata No. 1
    ANNUNCIATION
    Heinrich Ignaz Frans Biber
    Maya Homburger - baroque violin
    Barry Guy - double-bass

ECM New Series

Wildcat likes this.
  9. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

I am surprised few (if any) of the rooms at AXPONA used ECM, or ECM-like, recordings as demo discs. In one of the rooms, I requested "Alar" from Ralph Towner's Open Letter CD on ECM and had it played. It was nice to hear that on a system that is a few dollars above my pay grade. :D (It was also one of the only systems I heard with truly deep bass, so it was a good workout for the system.)

olson_jr likes this.
  10. olson_jr

11. olson_jr

Just added that Towner recording to my list, although the review does mention one of the tunes almost sounds like a new age parody, Magic Pouch?

@Wildcat

12. olson_jr

13. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

That was "Alar" they were complaining about, if we're reading the same review. I'm not hearing that myself. The New Age I'm thinking of has a lot less meat on its bones, and is a little too "precious" for its own good. (Think some of the more mainstream Windham Hill artists--beautifully played and recorded, but little if any improvisation or much of a melody to sink the teeth into.) If anything, New Age was probably more inspired by Oregon (and other similar artists) than much of anything else out there. ECM certainly predated New Age by a number of years.

"Nightfall" is one of my favorite Towner/Oregon tunes, so this was nice to hear a different version of it. I am familiar with it from the Oregon album Northwest Passage.

BlindBoyGrnt and olson_jr like this.
  14. flyz51

flyz51 dipolar since 1990

[​IMG]

Another LP from last Friday's purchase that I didn't get to spin before heading out of town Saturday. Another title for my ECM collection a surprisingly airy/ethereal effort from this group based on side 1 and the opening of side 2. I'm going to enjoy getting to know this one.

Wildcat likes this.
  15. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

If you're at all familiar with "Quiet Departures" from Eberhard Weber's Fluid Rustle album, check out the sample backing on this cut by The Cinematic Orchestra:

pmsummer likes this.
  16. olson_jr

17. modalmood

modalmood New Member

18. olson_jr

David Torn ~ Only Sky

Loopy looping guitar.

[​IMG]

19. pmsummer

pmsummer simul justus et peccator

[​IMG]

DIMINUITO
    16th century madrigals, chansons, and instrumentals re-imagined
    Rolf Lislevand - lutes, vihela da mano, and direction
    Anna Maria Friman - voice
    Linn Andrea Fuglseth - voice
    Giovanna Pessi - triple harp
    Michael Behringer - clavichord, organ
    Bjørn Kjellemyr - colascione, double-bass
    Marco Ambrosini - nyckelharpa
    Thor Harald Johnsen - chitarra battente, vihela da mano, lutes
    David Mayoral - percussion

ECM New Series

20. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

I am going to seek this one out. :thumbsup:

One of the earliest loops was used on the hit "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees. They used a piece of the drum track from "Night Fever." Interesting story if I can find a link to it again...