Today's Experimental/Avant-garde/Noise Playlist

Not really a separate thread for this. I'm envisioning a far-reaching scope here, encompassing various forms of "experimental" music...whether it flirts with while simultaneously subverting traditional forms, is free-form, is atonal, or is noise.

I'll start with a few that I've been listening to lately, across various genres.

Merzbow
Pulse Demon
(Release)

Merzbow-pulsedemon.jpg

Applaud the thread but just wondering, what exactly can you be doing while listening to Merzbow? Lots of the catalog on Tidal, including "Pulse Demon", which I streamed. I don't know much about the Noise genre (assuming it falls there), so I'm not arguing its musical merits; just baffled by the inherent difficulty experiencing the tracks on even the most basic level. Is there a secret?

Applaud the thread but just wondering, what exactly can you be doing while listening to Merzbow? Lots of the catalog on Tidal, including "Pulse Demon", which I streamed. I don't know much about the Noise genre (assuming it falls there), so I'm not arguing its musical merits; just baffled by the inherent difficulty experiencing the tracks on even the most basic level. Is there a secret?

I often wonder the same thing (about myself) . What is it about noise music that I find so appealing? As far as Merzbow goes, He is such a prolific artist with a wide range of music while still sounding very "Merzbow", it's hard not to be impressed by that. His work certainly takes a strong constitution to appreciate. I've bought 2 Merzbow records in the last few months and their good, not something I listen to a lot of but each is interesting in their own right. I wonder if there is a Merzbow completeist out there? I think more that anything, He's been around so long (mid 70's?) that his presence has influenced SO many others in the Japanese avant-garde noise scene, that He is considered the Godfather of the genre.
It sounds like you might be slightly interested. Hats off to you for trying something new!

I often wonder the same thing (about myself) . What is it about noise music that I find so appealing? As far as Merzbow goes, He is such a prolific artist with a wide range of music while still sounding very "Merzbow", it's hard not to be impressed by that. His work certainly takes a strong constitution to appreciate. I've bought 2 Merzbow records in the last few months and their good, not something I listen to a lot of but each is interesting in their own right. I wonder if there is a Merzbow completeist out there? I think more that anything, He's been around so long (mid 70's?) that his presence has influenced SO many others in the Japanese avant-garde noise scene, that He is considered the Godfather of the genre.
It sounds like you might be slightly interested. Hats off to you for trying something new!

He certainly exerted an influence on the sound(s) of Japanese band Boris, which I am listening to @ present.

IMG_20160420_143116.jpg Forgot to include:
FAT--Citron (very weird story behind this one)
Video Adventures--In Camera (French musique concrete & synth weirdness)
Spacemen 3--Take Me To The Other Side (meh...my least favorite of this batch)
Flying Basket ( improvisational minimalist jams by Merzbow, Akira Sakata, Jim O'Rourke, and Chris Corsano!)

Much excitement has revolved around the recent reissue of the This Heat catalogue. I filled a hole in my collection with the acquisition of the excellent "Health and Efficiency" EP. I already owned the late 80's reissues of their two equally great LP's. The newly reissued LP's are essential listening. Heavy quality pressings and heavyduty gatefold jackets. Anyone whose interest lie with post-punk, art-damaged, stream of consciousness recordings should consider owning these albums.
But as much as I cherish This Heat (and related output such as Camberwell Now) the recent reissue of the This Heat guitarist/vocalist Charles Bulllen's solo album from '83 is a stunner. Under the moniker "Lifetones" the album titled "For a Reason" was a revelation. Always a huge Charles Hayward fan, I didn't consider the impact of Bullen's contributions to This Heat, until after hearing "For A Reason". Lifetones has a decidedly reggae flavor due to the percussion of Dub Judah, but under the reggae surface lies the calculated tension that makes This Heat so engaging. When this came out originally it was lumped in with all the other dub reggae music that was brought to you by On-U Sound and the like. Pasted over by the lack of promotion and forgotten until now, some 33 years later. But this sounds as fresh today as any other This Heat related release. Highly recommended!

Picked up the first vinyl issue of Red Square's "Rare and Lost 70's Recordings" and it's a hoot. If Derek Bailey, Peter Brotzman, Sunny Murray or any other mid 70's free jazzers trip your trigger, this is worth seeking out. Red Square came from a place in and around the Canterbury scene, running with the likes of Henry Cow, National Health, Lol Coxhill... but Red Square certainly does not sound like any of those luminaries. In fact, Red Square was so abrasive and caterwauling that no one felt the need to release any of there music at the time. Fast forward 40 years and this fits right in place with some of the quieter moments of The Dead C, Chris Corsono's Chikamorachi, Mats Gustafsson's The Thing or even Last Exit. Heady stuff! Side one is a "studio recording" from '78 which quickly puts things into perspective. Excellent bass clarinet and growling guitar workouts over top frenetic drumming. But side two is where the real magic happens. A live recording of a '76 opener for Henry Cow, things take on a more emotional and slower pace that really showcases the band's interplay and dynamics. Deep shifting psych noise improv. Red Square dissipated in the late 70's but reformed in 2008 and released a couple of CD's I have not yet heard. I will seek those out to compare but from what I've gathered "Rare and Lost 70's Recordings" is the best from that time period. And it's on vinyl, what more could you want?

Last edited:
Much excitement has revolved around the recent reissue of the This Heat catalogue.

Ah crap looks like I'm late to the party and they've already sold out. Wouldn't be the first time, somehow my older college friends completely missed this band back in college (83-88) so I didn't find them until 20 years later. Love their stuff but then again I really like droney, noisey music so it's a natural.

Somewhere, packed away, I have a copy of the box set Out Of Cold Storage 1977-1981. Released in 2006. I should dig out that one a give some/all (6 or 7 discs IIRC) a (re)listen.

This Heat
Out Of Cold Storage (1977-1981)
{This Is, 2006}

*let's see how much of this I can endure*

The new LP reissues (2nd pressing?) are still available at Forced Exposure and Fusetronsound.
Can't recommend one over the other... they're both excellent. Good luck Scuzzer!

This Heat
Out Of Cold Storage (1977-1981)
{This Is, 2006}

*Picking up @ -- alpha order -- Made Available (1977). Really enjoying this material.*

*let's see how much of this I can endure*

How'd it go? When I'm in a This Heat mood it's awesome, when I'm not it doesn't stay on for long. I almost always opt for the Peel Sessions so I'll have to give their proper albums a listen.

The new LP reissues (2nd pressing?) are still available at Forced Exposure

Thanks! I think I need to have at least a couple of their albums on vinyl.

How'd it go? When I'm in a This Heat mood it's awesome, when I'm not it doesn't stay on for long. I almost always opt for the Peel Sessions so I'll have to give their proper albums a listen.

Thanks! I think I need to have at least a couple of their albums on vinyl.

First, I am grateful that this thread brought This Heat back to my awareness. It's a lotta fun, though might be drivin' away my family! Anyway, I am enjoying the lot.

First, I am grateful that this thread brought This Heat back to my awareness. It's a lotta fun, though might be drivin' away my family! Anyway, I am enjoying the lot.
Would Fripp and Eno's No Pussyfooting fit in here? Possibly too refined..

Funny.. Was just tracking my LP.. And came across this thread..

My wife just stopped by the music room to tell me to turn it down. I have a hard time finding friends to listen to this stuff as well.

Would Fripp and Eno's No Pussyfooting fit in here? Possibly too refined..

Never. Anything with Fripp and/or Eno is always welcome. Sometimes it fits into other threads but it's all good. Heck Hayward from This Heat played with Eno in Quiet Sun.

While looking up my digital copies of This Heat's studio albums I found this, Massacre - Killing Time:

homepage_large.282aedb0.jpg

I think it fits here. I had a huge Frith and Laswell period there for awhile a few years ago.

I'm a stupidly ridiculous John Cale fan so as far as experimental/noise/drone goes I'm a huge fan of "NY in the 1960's". Never meant for distribution this is what guys were playing with in their lofts or basements in the mid 60s.

41rvQLrd%2BdL._SY300_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom