Today's Funk playlist

cicero2

don't remember seeing a funk playlist (though i guess it could be a part of the soul playlist. ?)

Mary Love - 'born to live with heartache'

Awesome modern funk/r&b/new jack swing:

Bad Rabbits
Stick Up Kids EP
(self-released)

1196151793-1.jpg

Wild Cherry - s/t - 1976

'Play That Funky Music' - Quite possibly the most funky black funk tune ever played by five white boys from Pennsylvania!

wildcherry.jpg

Oh heck, let's have some fun with it for a little while...

Tower Of Power - Bump City, 1971

My favorite T.O.P. album. I want that one on vinyl so-bad it hurts. The CD is nice though (I know some of their anthologies/best-of's had a little compression, but I think the studio albums are still the same old CD-pressings from the early '90's. Maybe someone can clarify that. Anybody got a post-millennium-remastered "Bump City" CD (or any of their OTHER studio/live albums in newly-remastered form)?

One interesting footnote about that album: Former T.O.P. lead-singer Rick Stevens, who sang lead-vocals on "Bump City" (and also backup-vocals on "East Bay Grease"), sat in with the band (at a show in Oakland) for the first time in more than 35 years (of which he had spent in prison due to a drug-related shooting incident that occurred in 1975, two years after he left T.O.P.). Stevens was always my favorite T.O.P. singer, and I must admit I've dreamed of seeing him step onstage with those guys again, but I had my doubts about it ever happening. Must have been quite a show.

Here's a video of Stevens' performance...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOP7dV_FdOw

Last edited:
Tower Of Power live at Montreux 2006 - "Knock Yourself Out" (COMPLETE)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILGNR8kuu4Y

This particular Montreux performance has Chester Thompson sitting in on Hammond B3 AND Bruce Conte sitting in on guitar (Conte played guitar with them for most of the '70's and was an essential part of that classic T.O.P. sound... He played on "Tower Of Power" as well as "Live And In Living Color, which also featured Thompson). Also sitting in on this is Carlos Santana on guitar.

If you want to see the other 6 songs from this performance, go to EyeOfEdge's YouTube page and you'll find them on his list of uploads.

Last edited:
That's the best we can do? Only 12 posts in almost five years?

Cmon, there's gotta' be more AK'er funk fans out there than this...

On another thread, somebody who I forgot to thank turned me on to Electric Funk by Jimmy Mcgriff. Great funk organ.

James Brown and the Famous Flames - Live at the Apollo Volume II
Let Yourself Go - There Was a Time - I Feel Alright

The term "wall of sound" never applied so much. This little "groove maker" never fails to get me going.

Oh heck, let's have some fun with it for a little while...

Tower Of Power - Bump City, 1971

TOP usually sounds too syruppy/schmaltzy/smooth for me when they change down tempo but this early album is still rough and varied enough to be interesting. This one with the original singer reflects an earlier RnB influence.

Tower of Power In Living Color side 2 I commend to everyone. 23 minutes of 'Knock Yourself Out'. Non stop live Funk Jazz break stomp monster.

Was just listening to my newly arrived and new:
Parliment - Funkentelechy vs. the Placebo Syndrom.

Alway been one of my favorites. Kinda bummed that they cut Flashlight short. It is suppose to be like seven minutes long, but for some reason this one has it edited way down.

Where is Flashlight supposed to be 7 minutes long ?

Allmusic and Discogs have it at 5:45.

Back
Top Bottom