Today's Gospel Playlist

4cedbba3a1650_26865n.jpg

Mildred Clark and the Melody Aires, self titled
ABC Records 59228 1976

MI0000348684.jpg

Rev. James Cleveland Sings with the World's Greatest Choirs by James Cleveland (Savoy Gospel)​

41VVo2JoIeL.jpg

Believe -- DVD-Audio

Aaron Neville

2002 Silverline/EMI Gospel

BELIEVE was nominated for the 2004 Grammy Award for Best Traditional Soul Gospel Album.Aaron Neville's is an angel's voice contained within the body of a dockworker (which he once was), and it turns out to be perfect for gospel. BELIEVE is the New Orleans native's second full-length release of religious material. Teaming with noted Muscle Shoals session cat Barry Beckett, Neville delivers an interesting slate of material that finds him rejoicing in his faith without becoming preachy. Original material is sprinkled throughout, including the smooth, acoustic-guitar-driven "Let Go," and "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus" with its robust brass arrangements. Otherwise, Neville is priming the pump for other people's material. Among the notable songs included are a casual reading of Pete Seeger's "If I Had a Hammer," a vibrant remake of the Edwin Hawkins Singers 1969 gospel-pop crossover smash "Oh Happy Day," and a punchy cover of Hank Williams's "I Saw The Light" featuring The Dirty Dozen Brass Band. Other highlights include a reading of Dylan's "Gotta Serve Somebody," (whose original version also featured Beckett.), a goosebump-inducing "Ava Maria," and a picture-perfect "A Change Is Gonna Come.

Track Listings
1. Steer Me Right
2. Jesus, Jesus, Jesus
3. I Believe
4. If I Had A Hammer
5. Gotta Serve Somebody
6. Oh Happy Day
7. Ave Maria
8. Let Go
9. What A Friend We Have In Jesus
10. A Change Is Gonna Come
11. I Saw The Light (featuring The Dirty Dozen Brass Band)
12. Going Home
13. Amazing Grace
14. With God On Our Side (Bonus Track)

Personnel: Aaron Neville (vocals); Wardell Quezengue (conductor); Blue Miller (acoustic guitar); Dean Parks, Shane Theriot (electric guitar); Judith Armistead, Burton Callahan (violin); Lauren Lemmier, Richard Woehrle (viola); Jonathan Gerhardt (cello); Jim Horn (alto saxophone, baritone saxophone); Sam Levine (tenor saxophone); Steve patrick (trumpet, flugelhorn); Chris Dunn (trombone); The Dirty Dozen Brass Band (horns); John Jarvis (piano, keyboards); Jim Cox (Wurlitzer piano, Hammond B-3 organ); Michael Rhodes (bass); Eddie Bayers (drums); Mark Beckett (percussion); Alvin Chea, Jim Gilstrap, Phil Perry, Darryl Phinnessee, Maxi Anderson, Alex Brown, Jacquelyn Gouche, Sandtown Childrens Choir (background vocals).

51n2PbHgPPL.jpg

The Gospel Collection -- 2 CD Set

George Jones Sings The Greatest Stories Ever Told

2003 Bandit/BMG Records

Although country icon George Jones had made gospel albums before this 2003 recording, both solo and with duet partner Tammy Wynette, this one bears a special significance. The two-disc set of spirituals marks the first time he'd tackled such material since an almost-fatal 1999 car accident. The mishap is said to have put him on spiritual notice, so to speak, and inspired this album (though he'd done some secular work in between). The arrangements, quite appropriately, steer clear of the customary gospel trappings and are squarely in the Billy Sherrill/classic Nashvile mold that suits Jones so well. The man's voice remains a marvel of tone and emotion, and hearing him lay into the likes of "Just a Closer Walk With Thee," "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms," and even the ubiquitous "Amazing Grace" is nothing short of heart-stopping. No other country singer can emotionally inhabit a song as fully as Jones, and hearing a lifelong hell-raiser try to mend his ways is doubly affecting.

Track Listing
DISC 1:
1. Amazing Grace
2. It Is No Secret
3. Just a Little Talk With Jesus
4. Where We'll Never Grow Old
5. Sweet Chariot Swing Low
6. Why Me Lord?
7. I'll Fly Away
8. Precious Memories - (featuring Patti Page)
9. Just a Closer Walk With Thee
10. In the Garden
11. Lonesome Valley
12. When Mama Sang (The Angels Stopped to Listen)

DISC 2:
1. Peace in the Valley
2. What a Friend We Have in Jesus
3. Softly and Tenderly
4. Lily of the Valley
5. The Old Rugged Cross
6. Leaning on the Everlasting Arms
7. Family Bible
8. Mansion Over the Hilltop - (featuring Vestal Goodman)
9. If I Could Hear My Mother Pray Again
10. How Beautiful Heaven Must Be
11. Jesus Hold My Hand
12. I Know a Man Who Can - (featuring Sheri Copeland/Barry "Frosty" Smith)

Personnel: George Jones (vocals, guitar); Bruce Atkins (acoustic guitar); Brent Mason, Reggie Young, J.T. Corenflos, John Willis (electric guitar); Paul Franklin, John Hughy (steel guitar); Glen Duncan (fiddle); Gary Prim (keyboards); Michael Rhodes (bass); Eddie Bayers (drums); Louis Nunley, Bergen White, Curtis Young, Mark Ivey, Ray Walker, Michael Black, Gordon Stoker, Millie Kirkum, Sheri Copeland, The Smith Family (background vocals).

1105501_zpsd737189a.jpg

Hymns We Love -- CD

The Mills Brothers

1999 MCA Records

Album Notes
The spiritual and inspirational melodies in this fine compilation gain from the beautiful harmonizing of the Mills brothers. The Brothers' deep and husky richness of tone is as warm-sounding as a church organ. On "Brighten the Corner Where You Are," "Holy, Holy, Holy," and "In the Sweet Bye and Bye," an otherworldly sound seems to descend upon the ears, in an almost divine experience. The group's light touch and moderately fast tempo gives "Bringing in the Sheaves" a joyous swing.The contemplative calm and sober faith of "Sweet Hour of Prayer" resonates with the Brothers' sonorous and dulcet vocal unity. They employ their varying vocal ranges to give an extra dimension and strength to the hymn's potent yet simple richness.

Track Listing
1. Brighten the Corner Where You Are
2. Old Rugged Cross, The
3. Holy, Holy, Holy
4. Sweet Hour of Prayer
5. In the Sweet By and By
6. Bringing in the Sheaves
7. In the Garden
8. Just a Closer Walk With Thee
9. Rock of Ages
10. Where You There When They Crucified My Lord?

41YsMq28NxL.jpg

Angel Band -- CD

Emmylou Harris

1987 Warner Bros. Records

On this 1987 recording, Emmylou Harris focuses on country ballads with a Christian bent. Many traditional songs arranged by Harris are heard here, including "If I Be Lifted Up," "Bright Morning Stars," "We Shall Rise," "Drifting Too Far," and the title track, "Angel Band." Songs by Paul Kennerly and Ralph and Carter Stanley are also featured.Lyrically, the songs on ANGEL BAND revolve around the pursuit of redemption, forgiveness, and joy in a world of heartbreak and loss. Musically, the group, consisting of country greats Vince Gill, Jerry Douglas, and Mark O'Connor among others, is sensitive, subtle and melodically compelling. The highlight of the album is the uplifting "When They Ring Those Golden Bells," which features fine instrumental work in addition to Harris's beautiful vocal performance.

Track Listing
1. Where Could I Go But to the Lord
2. Angel Band
3. If I Be Lifted Up
4. Precious Memories
5. Bright Morning Stars
6. When He Calls
7. We Shall Rise
8. Drifting Too Far
9. Who Will Sing For Me
10. Someday My Ship Will Sail
11. The Other Side of Life
12. When They Ring Those Golden Bells

Personnel: Emmylou Harris (vocals, guitar); Vince Gill (vocals, guitar, mandolin); Emory Gordy (vocals, guitar, bass); Carl Jackson (vocals, guitar);Mike Aldridge, Jerry Douglas (dobro); Mark O'Connor (fiddle, viola, mandola).Engineers include: Donivan Cowart, Joe Scaif, Paul Goldberg.Recorded at The Barn, Brentwood, Tennessee and The Music Mill, Nashville, Tennessee.

JohnnyCashMyMothersHymnBook_zps8040d91d.jpg

My Mother's Hymn Book -- CD

Johnny Cash

2004 Lost Highway Records

Previously released as the fourth disc in the UNEARTHED box set, MY MOTHER'S HYMN BOOK, like the lauded AMERICAN RECORDINGS album, features only two instruments--Johnny Cash's acoustic guitar and his unmistakable baritone voice. Recorded at Cash's cabin in rural Tennessee, this spare, unadorned set consists of classic country gospel standards handpicked by Cash from the hymnal of the title. The contents run from the heavenly ode "Where We'll Never Grow Old" to the sauntering "I Am a Pilgrim," and the redemptive "I'll Fly Away." Despite the Man in Black's failing health at the time of this recording, he sounds amazingly vital and notably moved on each and every song. Cash writes in the liner notes, "On that album, I nailed it. That was me....I'm so glad that I got that done." The overwhelming sense of completion and closure is especially fitting, since HYMN BOOK is the final set of songs recorded by Cash with the specific intention of an album. As a testament to a remarkable man and his unshakable faith, nothing could be more fitting.

Track Listing
1. Where We'll Never Grow Old
2. I Shall Not Be Moved
3. I Am a Pilgrim
4. Do Lord
5. When the Roll Is Called up Yonder
6. If We Never Meet Again This Side of Heaven
7. I'll Fly Away
8. Where the Soul of Man Never Dies
9. Let the Lower Lights Be Burning
10. When He Reached Down
11. In the Sweet by and By
12. I'm Bound For the Promised Land
13. In the Garden
14. Softly and Tenderly
15. Just as I Am

Personnel: Johnny Cash (Vocals & Guitar).

comomamas_getanunde_101b_zps6cf979ba.jpg

Get An Understanding -- CD

The Como Mamas

2005/2013 Daptone Records

The Como Mamas are a trio of gospel singers from Como, a tiny town in Panola County in northwestern Mississippi. Ester Mae Smith, Angela Taylor, and her sister Della Daniels have been singing together since they were children. The trio appeared on Daptone's excellent compilation Como Now, a collection of a cappella gospel tunes recorded and produced by Michael Reilly using Mount Mariah Church as a studio. The Como Mamas performed three selections on that set. Like its predecessor, Get an Understanding is recorded a cappella and was cut front-to-back in a single morning at the church. This trio of voices provides more than enough sound for any listener; musical instruments would have been an intrusion. The throaty, raspy vocals of Smith lead the group's; her voice is earthshaking in its intensity; its expression one of coming right through the heart of worldly hardship -- aka the blues -- and plowing right on through it to the glory of the heavens. Taylor and Daniels voices provide pronounced rhythms, soulful harmonies, affirmative cadences, proclamations, and exhortations that push Smith's own conviction ever forward, through the lyrics and into the world of sound itself. Well-known spirituals "Peace of Mind," "Meet Me at the River Jordan," "I Know It Was the Blood," and "Soon I Will Be Done" are rendered with grainy rawness and stylistic panache, and embody not merely the history of Black gospel, but also the blues and rhythm & blues. No matter one's spiritual beliefs -- or lack of them -- she would have to have sawdust in her veins in place of blood not to be deeply moved by what is on display here. The term "soul stirring" doesn't begin to touch it. For those who seek the sounds of traditional gospel, à la Dorothy Love Coates and Clara Ward, or have been curious about gospel at its best, Get an Understanding is for you. ~ Thom Jurek

Track Listing
1. Old Landmark
2. God Is Able
3. God Is Good to Me
4. Thank Him Enough
5. Peace of Mind
6. I Know It Was the Blood
7. Meet Me at the River Jordan
8. Ninety Nine and a Half Won't Do
9. Soon I Will Be Done
10. One More River to Cross
11. I'm Going Home to Jesus
12. Hold Me Jesus
13. Nobody's Fault But Mine

41S7ajLvv6L._SS400_.jpg

In His hands -- CD

Gene Harris

1997 Concord Records

The Devil's Music and the Lord's, September 28, 2000
By Tim Smith "Tim Smith" (Bonney Lake, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In His Hands (Audio CD)

Is this a jazz or gospel CD? The answer is: yes. Nothing challenging here, just some praiseworthy good times. If you have been fortunate enough to attend church meetings with keyboardists like the late (and greatly-missed) Gene Harris or Jack McDuff, then you know what much of the shouting is about at those big revival meetings. I'm a big Gene Harris fan and he was in fine form here, swinging particularly hard on "Battle Hymn of the Republic", "This Little Light of Mine" and "Will the Circle Be Unbroken." It's obvious that Gene loved and was comfortable with this music and these songs. The two biggest surprises for me (both pleasant) were "Amazing Grace" and "(Jesus Keeps Me) Near the Cross". When I first heard "Amazing Grace", I was sure it was Ray Charles. Vocalist Curtis Stigers does a beautifully soulful job on this timeless classic while Gene plays some very bluesy piano. "(Jesus Keeps Me) Near the Cross" is a duet between McDuff and Harris that brought back memories of my childhood. I was taken back to the days when I would be home from school and my mother would listen to Gospel radio all morning while she did her chores. How I would have liked to have heard Gene play "The Old Rugged Cross"!

When I first listened to this CD, I was slightly disappointed and nearly gave it only three stars. After a few more listens I realized, however, that the disappointment was due to my preconceived notions of what I thought the CD would be like. Once I accepted it for what Gene wanted it to be and not what I thought it would be, I grew to like it. Now, I listen to it quite often.

If you are under the impression that Gospel music is boring or that jazz can't be done reverently, give this a listen and see if maybe your opinion doesn't change.

Track listing

1. Lean On Me
2. Battle Hymn Of The Republic
3. Will The Circle Be Unbroken
4. Everyhting Must Change
5. Amazing Grace
6. Lord I've Tried
7. Jesus Keep Me Near The Cross
8. This Little Light Of Mine
9. Operator
10. His Eye Is On The Sparrow
11. He's Got The Whole World In His Hands
12. Granpa's Hands

et3a.jpg

THE LADY KILLERS
Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Various Artists
T Bone Burnett, curator

DMZ - Sony

Last edited:
The Statesmen Quartet / Encores

This group, along with the Blackwood Brothers, defined Gospel music on the radio during the 50's, and were hugely influential on Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis, among many others. Sweet, close harmony, simple arrangements, flamboyant entertainers.

I was stuck in a barber shop earlier today listening to a radio station playing some dreck called "Christian Rock". Gawd, how far we have fallen! ;)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Statesmen_Quartet
IMG_20140907_155305.jpg

JohnnyCashMyMothersHymnBook_zps8040d91d.jpg

My Mother's Hymn Book -- CD

Johnny Cash

2004 Lost Highway Records

Previously released as the fourth disc in the UNEARTHED box set, MY MOTHER'S HYMN BOOK, like the lauded AMERICAN RECORDINGS album, features only two instruments--Johnny Cash's acoustic guitar and his unmistakable baritone voice. Recorded at Cash's cabin in rural Tennessee, this spare, unadorned set consists of classic country gospel standards handpicked by Cash from the hymnal of the title. The contents run from the heavenly ode "Where We'll Never Grow Old" to the sauntering "I Am a Pilgrim," and the redemptive "I'll Fly Away." Despite the Man in Black's failing health at the time of this recording, he sounds amazingly vital and notably moved on each and every song. Cash writes in the liner notes, "On that album, I nailed it. That was me....I'm so glad that I got that done." The overwhelming sense of completion and closure is especially fitting, since HYMN BOOK is the final set of songs recorded by Cash with the specific intention of an album. As a testament to a remarkable man and his unshakable faith, nothing could be more fitting.

Track Listing
1. Where We'll Never Grow Old
2. I Shall Not Be Moved
3. I Am a Pilgrim
4. Do Lord
5. When the Roll Is Called up Yonder
6. If We Never Meet Again This Side of Heaven
7. I'll Fly Away
8. Where the Soul of Man Never Dies
9. Let the Lower Lights Be Burning
10. When He Reached Down
11. In the Sweet by and By
12. I'm Bound For the Promised Land
13. In the Garden
14. Softly and Tenderly
15. Just as I Am

Personnel: Johnny Cash (Vocals & Guitar).

8930900_zpsad948bd9.jpg

Gospel -- CD

The Weavers

1987 Vanguard Records

Given their reputation for being, well, godless Communists, the concept of a gospel album by the Weavers is curious on its face. In fact, however, much of the group's repertoire derived from folk and spiritual sources, sometimes with specifically religious subject matter, sometimes just with church-based origins. In these tracks, compiled from their 1955-1963 recordings, the Weavers address such familiar inspirational material as "When the Saints Go Marching In," "Sinner Man," and "True Religion," as well as gospel-influenced folk songs like "Follow the Drinking Gourd," which concerns the Underground Railroad that helped slaves to freedom, and their own politically charged "If I Had a Hammer (The Hammer Song)," which bridged religious fervor and social activism. Combining the Pete Seeger and Erik Darling eras of the group, this is an excellent thematic arrangement of Weavers music, the only serious criticism of it being that, at under 38 minutes, it could have been longer. ~ William Ruhlmann

Track Listing
1. Michael Row the Boat Ashore
2. Follow the Drinking Gourd
3. On My Journey
4. I've Got a Home In That Rock
5. In That New Jerusalem
6. When the Stars Begin To Fall
7. Come, See, Jerusalem Run
8. If I Had a Hammer (the Hammer Song)
9. Sinner Man
10. You Made Me
11. True Religion
12. Twelve Gates To the City
13. Go Where I Send Thee (One For the Little Bitty Baby)
14. When the Saints Go Marching In

919gAKT9J2BL_zpsfa1b1f75.jpg

Downtown Church -- CD

Patty Griffin

2010 Credential Records

In many respects, art is about the process that goes into the creation of the work as much as the work itself; the path that leads to a final creative vision can often mean as much to the art as the physical technique or the initial inspiration. It's a process not unlike faith, in which the road to spiritual understanding plays a powerful role in informing one's beliefs, and both art and faith play a crucial role in Patty Griffin's seventh album, Downtown Church. While Griffin has described herself as a "lapsed Catholic," she's also spoken of herself as a seeker who believes in the spiritual dimensions of music, and she's a passionate devotee of classic gospel music, with the influences showing clearly on her 2007 album, Children Running Through. On Downtown Church, Griffin has given her gospel influences free reign; while it features two fine new songs from her, most of the album is devoted to vintage gospel of all stripes, from Hank Williams' "House of Gold" and Dorothy Love Coates' "The Strange Man" to traditional numbers such as "Wade in the Water," "If I Had My Way," and "Never Grow Old." Downtown Church was recorded in Nashville's Downtown Presbyterian Church, and while it's hard to say how much that informed the mood of the sessions, Griffin's vocals here possess a fierce passion bordered by a touching emotional fragility, as if she's fully aware of the gravity of the themes at hand, and means to give them the consideration they deserve. Griffin is also accompanied by a number of gifted friends and colleagues; Buddy Miller produced the album, and his spectral guitar lines weave their way through many of the songs, while the guest vocalists include Emmylou Harris, Raul Malo, Jim Lauderdale, and gospel stars Ann McCrary and Regina McCrary, all of whom add to the richness of this music while never leaving any question that this is truly Griffin's album. Griffin has certainly learned a lot from vital gospel artists of the past, but rather than emulate their style, she's absorbed them and used their influences to create something of her own, and along the way, one can hear her digging deep into the meanings of these songs as well as appreciating the beauty on the surface. Griffin sounds bold on "I Smell a Rat," fervent on "The Strange Man," and almost in awe of the simple faith and complex mysteries of "All Creatures of Our God and King," and just as she's not afraid to step into the musical unknown, she's sincere and assured as she considers the depth of faith expressed in these songs. It's no surprise that Downtown Church is a beautiful album, as Patty Griffin has been making beautiful albums since 1996, but here she's reaching for something deeper than she has on much her previous work, and the search that informed these 14 songs is compelling and joyous to hear, regardless of your religious convictions. ~ Mark Deming

Track Listing
1. House of Gold
2. Move Up - (featuring Jim Lauderdale/Ann McCrary/Regina McCrary/Buddy Miller)
3. Little Fire - (featuring Emmylou Harris)
4. Death's Got a Warrant - (featuring Ann McCrary/Regina McCrary)
5. If I Had My Way - (featuring Ann McCrary/Regina McCrary)
6. Coming Home to Me - (featuring Julie Miller)
7. Wade in the Water - (featuring Regina McCrary/Mike Farris)
8. Never Grow Old - (featuring Buddy Miller)
9. Virgen de Guadalupe - (featuring Raul Malo)
10. I Smell a Rat
11. Waiting for My Child
12. The - (featuring Regina McCrary/Mike Farris) Strange Man
13. We Shall Be Reunited
14. All Creatures of Our God and King

Personnel: Doug Lancio, Buddy Miller (guitar); Russ Pahl (pedal steel guitar); Stuart Duncan (fiddle); John Catchings (cello); John Deaderick (keyboards); Jay Bellerose (drums); Bryan Owings (percussion).Audio Mixer: Buddy Miller.Recording information: Buddy's Home Studio; Downtown Presbyterian Church; Studio G!.Photographer: Traci Goudie

Back
Top Bottom