Today's Gospel Playlist

51YU0pjMkiL._SS500_.jpg

Lifeline -- CD

Iris DeMent

2004 Flariella Records

Amazon.com

Although there's only one new original on Iris DeMent's first release in eight years, the music throughout ranks with the most personal she has made. DeMent's quavering vocals invest this collection of traditional spirituals with an unwavering conviction. "This is my story," she sings on "Blessed Assurance," written more than 130 years ago. "This is my song." In her liner notes, the Arkansas-raised artist explains how these were the first songs she remembers hearing, and that this music has always provided comfort during hard times, a comfort that isn't necessarily (or at least not narrowly) religious. On "Sweet Hour of Prayer" and "God Walks the Dark Hills," DeMent accompanies herself on stately solo piano, and the emotion is as pure as the arrangement is unadorned. On other tracks, DeMent and co-producer Jim Rooney enlist homespun support from kindred spirits such as guitarists Mark Howard and Bo Ramsey and a call-and-response chorus of harmonizers including Stuart Duncan. The self-penned composition, "He Reached Down," is a folkish recasting of the Biblical "Good Samaritan" parable. Even listeners who don't share the faith expressed in these songs will have trouble resisting the unflinching intimacy of the performances. --Don McLeese

"I've Got That Old Time Religion in My Heart" (Milsap) – 3:04
"Blessed Assurance" (Fanny Crosby) – 6:26
"Fill My Way with Love" (Sebren) – 3:02
"Hide Thou Me" (Fanny Crosby) – 5:09
"The Old Gospel Ship" (Traditional) – 3:10
"Sweet Hour of Prayer" (Walford) – 5:09
"That Glad Reunion Day" (Pace) – 2:10
"Leaning on the Everlasting Arms" (Hoffman, Showalter) – 2:53
"He Reached Down" (Iris DeMent) – 4:12
"Near the Cross" (Fanny Crosby) – 5:03
"I Never Shall Forget the Day" (Speer) – 2:42
"I Don't Want to Get Adjusted" (Massengale) – 3:38
"God Walks the Dark Hills" (Czarnikow) – 5:23

51BPPN8F3NL._SS500_.jpg

Go Tell It On The Mountain -- CD

The Blind Boys Of Alabama with Guests

2004 Realworld Records

On the surface, one might fear the taint of market-research exploitation on an album where this classic gospel group backs a variety of famous guests on well known Christmas songs, but that fear is aesthetically unfounded. The Blind Boys of Alabama, for all their soulful gravitas, function extremely well in a support role (though their "solo" track, "Last Month of the Year," is one of the most memorable moments here). Tom Waits comes off like a half-crazed preacher, throwing down the spiritual gauntlet on "Go Tell It on the Mountain." Chrissie Hynde demonstrates why she's one of the more underrated singers in rock, as she heats up "In the Bleak Midwinter." And, of course, the Aaron Neville and Mavis Staples cuts are no-brainers; how could they possibly not work? Some less expected guests include Spearhead frontman Michael Franti and the funkmaster himself, George Clinton, who brings the blues, if not the funk, to "Away in a Manger."

Track Listing
1. Last Month of the Year
2. I Pray on Christmas - (featuring Solomon Burke)
3. Go Tell It on the Mountain - (featuring Tom Waits)
4. Little Drummer Boy, The - (featuring Michael Franti)
5. In the Bleak Midwinter - (featuring Chrissie Hynde/Richard Thompson)
6. Joy to the World - (featuring Aaron Neville)
7. Born in Bethlehem - (featuring Mavis Staples)
8. Christmas Song, The - (featuring Shelby Lynne)
9. Away in a Manger - (featuring George Clinton/Robert Randolph)
10. Oh Come All Ye Faithful
11. White Christmas - (featuring Les McCann)
12. Silent Night

d3c9640bb5e1fe31ec9c8d1a1facc98a6e042ca1

Gospel Christmas 2012 (feat. Chris Murrell, Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Linda Fields & Mahalia Jackson)

66k0BU.jpg

HID N X 2
Lost and Found
Various Popular Artists

Personal Digital Mix-Tape

Gospel themes, intentional or inadvertent, in secular popular music from 1928 to 2004. Blind Willie Johnson to Bob Dylan to The Who to Jefferson Airplane to the Thirteenth Floor Elevators... and lots more. A project of mine.

soXI3I.jpg

GOSPEL NIGHTS - YES JESUS LOVES ME
McCabe's Guitar Shop
Maria Muldaur
John Fahey

Takoma 2-fer

41S7ajLvv6L._SS400_.jpg

In His hands -- CD

Gene Harris

1997 Concord Records

The Devil's Music and the Lord's, September 28, 2000
By Tim Smith "Tim Smith" (Bonney Lake, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In His Hands (Audio CD)

Is this a jazz or gospel CD? The answer is: yes. Nothing challenging here, just some praiseworthy good times. If you have been fortunate enough to attend church meetings with keyboardists like the late (and greatly-missed) Gene Harris or Jack McDuff, then you know what much of the shouting is about at those big revival meetings. I'm a big Gene Harris fan and he was in fine form here, swinging particularly hard on "Battle Hymn of the Republic", "This Little Light of Mine" and "Will the Circle Be Unbroken." It's obvious that Gene loved and was comfortable with this music and these songs. The two biggest surprises for me (both pleasant) were "Amazing Grace" and "(Jesus Keeps Me) Near the Cross". When I first heard "Amazing Grace", I was sure it was Ray Charles. Vocalist Curtis Stigers does a beautifully soulful job on this timeless classic while Gene plays some very bluesy piano. "(Jesus Keeps Me) Near the Cross" is a duet between McDuff and Harris that brought back memories of my childhood. I was taken back to the days when I would be home from school and my mother would listen to Gospel radio all morning while she did her chores. How I would have liked to have heard Gene play "The Old Rugged Cross"!

When I first listened to this CD, I was slightly disappointed and nearly gave it only three stars. After a few more listens I realized, however, that the disappointment was due to my preconceived notions of what I thought the CD would be like. Once I accepted it for what Gene wanted it to be and not what I thought it would be, I grew to like it. Now, I listen to it quite often.

If you are under the impression that Gospel music is boring or that jazz can't be done reverently, give this a listen and see if maybe your opinion doesn't change.

Track listing

1. Lean On Me
2. Battle Hymn Of The Republic
3. Will The Circle Be Unbroken
4. Everyhting Must Change
5. Amazing Grace
6. Lord I've Tried
7. Jesus Keep Me Near The Cross
8. This Little Light Of Mine
9. Operator
10. His Eye Is On The Sparrow
11. He's Got The Whole World In His Hands
12. Granpa's Hands

548541.jpg

He Touched Me - The Gospel Music of: -- 2 CD Set

Elvis Presley

1999/2005 Sony-Coming Home Music

Essential Elvis Gospel, May 12, 2005
By Thomas A. Penny (Ellicott City, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

This review is from: He Touched Me: The Gospel Music of Elvis Presley (Audio CD)
This is truly a superior Elvis Gospel Anthology. Everything you could want is here on two discs. But what sets it apart is on Disc 2. Tracks 5-9 are recordings of Elvis around the piano with, probably, the Stamps, casually singing gospel as he was so fond of doing after shows late into the wee hours of the morning. It is breathtaking. For true Elvis fans, or fans of great Southern Gospel, this is a must have for your collection.

Track Listings

Disc: 1

1. Crying In The Chapel
2. His Hand In Mine
3. Joshua Fit The Battle
4. So High
5. If We Never Meet Again
6. Milky White Way
7. Stand By Me
8. Somebody Bigger Than You And I
9. I Believe In The Man
10. In The Garden
11. Mansion Over The Hilltop
12. Farther Along
13. Where No One Stands Alone
14. I'm Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs
15. Without Him
16. Working On The Building
17. You'll Never Walk Alone
18. Swing Down Sweet Chariot
19. Where Could I Go But The Lord
20. In The Ghetto

Disc: 2

1. (There'll Be) Peace In The Valley (For Me)
2. I Believe
3. Take My Hand, Precious Lord
4. It Is No Secret (What God Can Do)
5. I, John
6. Bosom If Abraham
7. You Better Run
8. Lead Me, Guide Me/Turn Your Eyes Upon jesus/Nearer My God To Thee
9. He Touched Me
10. I've Got Confidence
11. Amazing Grace
12. A Thing Called Love
13. A Thing Called Love
14. Put Your Hand In The Hand
15. Reach Out To Jesus
16. If That Isn't Love
17. Bridge Over Troubled Water
18. An American Trilogy
19. Why Me Lord
20. How Great Thou Art

51DXblxkdnL._SS500_.jpg

Black, Brown and Beige -- Remastered CD

Duke Ellington and his Orchestra Featuring Mahalia Jackson

1958/1999 Columbia/Legacy

Amazon.com

As a composer and bandleader associated indelibly with the nightclub scenes of pre-Swing Era jazz, Duke Ellington would have a difficult time getting respect in the button-down world of concert music. And when Ellington premiered his first long-form piece, Black, Brown and Beige, in 1943 (available on the stunning Carnegie Hall Concerts, January 1943), he was considered a dilettante. He laid the work aside until this recording, which came in early 1958--with the added oomph of gospel vocalist Mahalia Jackson on board for all the suite's vocal parts. On this expanded reissue, Columbia has added an alternate take of the entire piece as well as two unrelated tracks recorded during the Black, Brown sessions but never before released. The suite is an expansive look, from Ellington's vantage, of course, at the evolution of African American history and culture. So there are ripples of spirited tone poetry, soaring gospel vocals from Jackson (with spare, aching piano from Ellington in spots), thundering horn-fronted swing from the band, and a consistency and unity on par with any symphonic work of the modern era. Ellington was always sensitive about this piece. After all, it showed a lot of what he held in high esteem: history, musical meditations on culture, and a full, colorful use of a band that Ellington held together for an amazingly long time. If only for Mahalia Jackson's takes on "Come Sunday," by now an acknowledged standard, this set is awesome. --Andrew Bartlett

All tracks by Duke Ellington

"Part I" – 8:17
"Part II" – 6:14
"Part III" (aka Light) – 6:26
"Part IV" (aka Come Sunday) – 7:58
"Part V" (aka Come Sunday) – 3:46
"Part VI" (23rd Psalm) – 3:01 Bonus tracks on re-releases
"Track 360" (aka Trains) (alternative take) - 2:02
"Blues in Orbit" (aka Tender) (alternative take) - 2:36
"Part I" (alternative take) – 6:49
"Part II" (alternative take) – 6:38
"Part III" (alternative take) – 3:08
"Part IV" (alternative take) – 2:23
"Part V" (alternative take) – 5:51
"Part VI" (alternative take) – 1:59
"Studio conversation" (Mahalia Swears) – 0:07
"Come Sunday" (a cappella) – 5:47
"(Pause track)" – 0:06

-------

Duke Ellington — piano
William "Cat" Anderson — trumpet
Harold Shorty Baker — trumpet
Clark Terry — trumpet
Ray Nance — trumpet, violin
John Sanders — valve trombone
Quentin Jackson — trombone
Britt Woodman — trombone
Paul Gonsalves — tenor saxophone
Bill Graham — alto saxophone
Harry Carney — baritone saxophone
Jimmy Woode — bass
Sam Woodyard — drums
Mahalia Jackson — vocals

dranes.jpg

ARIZONA DRANES Complete Recorded Works In Chronological Order 1926-1929 Bonus Tracks: Southern Sanctified Singers
Document Records; Austria DOCD-5186​

Power_and_the_Glory_The_1998_Columbia.jpg

The Power and the Glory

Mahalia Jackson
with Orchestra and Choir conducted by Percy Faith

1960/1998 Columbia/Legacy

Festival_of_Faith_1987_Readers_Digest_RCA_Music_Service_Disc_1.jpg

Festival of Faith (Disc 1)

Pat Boone, Ed Ames, Perry Como, Kate Smith, Ray Stevens, The Johnny Mann Singers,
The McGuire Sisters, The Hillside Singers, The Mills Brothers, Don Cornell

1987 Reader's Digest/RCA Music Service

Back
Top Bottom