Today's Great American Songbook Playlist

First, you have my envy, only slightly offset by the fact that I got the big band set on pristine vinyl for a like amount.

Second, how's the standards book? I have the npr jazz book and think it's only so-so.

I picked up the Big Band Jazz set for a buck, too, at the same place (SPCA thrift). Looks like it was never played. :smoke:

The book is OK, lots of great info, but not nearly as fun reading as Will Friedwald's book.

Rosemary Clooney / Duke Ellington
Blue Rose

Columbia CL-872 (1956)

Today's thrift score. Found this gem in the middle of a group of pristine LP's, obviously from the same collection, all the rest utter schmaltz (Larry Welch, Joe Schmoe and his Orchestra, etc.).

Rosemary Clooney may have seemed to be a surprising choice to be featured with Duke Ellington & His Orchestra, but this collaboration is extremely successful in spite of the fact that Clooney was unable to join the band in the studio due to complications of a very difficult pregnancy. The solution was for the band to record the music (after Billy Strayhorn made the first of several trips to Los Angeles to consult with her). The results are stunning and not in the least bit canned, due to the professionalism of all parties involved and a stellar engineering of the separately recorded tracks. Clooney swings throughout "Me and You" and "It Don't Mean a Thing" without excess, her wordless vocal on "Blue Rose," and a captivating "Mood Indigo" are among the many highlights.
-- Ken Dryden (allmusic.com)

100_3497.JPG

Ella Fitzgerald
Ella Sings Gershwin
Ella Fitzgerald Sings The George and Ira Gershwin Songbook

Verve / Classics Records Library (1959/1978)

Fifty-three songs on eight sides of the incomparable Ella showing how it's done. Nelson Riddle's arrangements ensure that the orchestra never gets in the way of that voice. Ella's Songbooks pretty much define the genre. She treats these songs with great respect.

100_3507.JPG

Cleo Laine "That Old Feeling"

My favorite Cleo Laine album, she sings these standards in her natural Contralto, softly with feeling and no scat. Think Julie London with Cleo's voice.

DSC00727.jpg

DSC00726.jpg

Songs of the Great American Songbook, that greatest archive of American music. Disparaged and neglected during the dark years of the '60's - '90's, currently enjoying something of a revival thanks to several films and the work of the inexhaustible Tony Bennett, among many others.

Much of the Songbook became Jazz standards, and provided the raw material for the best Popular music of the '50's.

I find myself listening to and savoring the Great American Songbook more and more, primarily through its Jazz interpreters, but have also been discovering and enjoying its more pop-oriented singers.

Great Idea for a thread Chicks.
Probably 75 percent of what I listen to falls into this category. Have to say it wasn't neglected by me in those "lean" years. This music has always been on top of my HIT list.
Cheers

Last edited:
310119.jpg

Music Is My Life CD

Diane Schuur

1999 Atlantic Records (Promo/NFS printed on back cover)
Amazon.com

After her long association with GRP Records, this is Diane Schuur's first recording for Atlantic. With label founder Ahmet Ertegun serving as one of the album's three producers, Schuur applies her powerful, free-ranging voice to a mostly quiet collection of familiar standards and a few lesser-known selections ("Good Morning Heartache") well suited to Schuur's emotive interpretations. In a romantic, late-night state of mind on most of the disc's 11 tracks, Schuur sounds as though she's enjoying herself from start to finish. She opens with playful vocalise on "Invitation" and concludes with a dramatic a cappella version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," where one moment her voice rattles windows, then seconds later shifts to a whisper. Her languid, nine-minute take on "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered" is a sultry, beguiling confessional, and her sophisticated swing on Cole Porter's "You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To" sets the piece aglow. The title track is a pleasant, pop-structured affair, likely designed with radio airplay in mind, and the blues, gospel, and R&B influences found in earlier works are not as evident in this, a more subdued, seductive, and consistently charming collection. --Terry Wood

1 Invitation 8:01
2 You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To Porter 3:13
3 That Old Devil Called Love Fisher, Roberts 4:36
4 Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered Rodgers 9:06
5 Keepin' Out of Mischief Now Waller 3:14
6 Good Morning Heartache 5:17
7 I Only Have Eyes For You Warren 3:58
8 Nardis Davis 5:43
9 Music Is My Life 4:12
10 If You Could See Me Now Dameron 6:17
11 Somewhere Over the Rainbow Arlen 3:20

b_59906_Susannah_Mccorkle-From_Bessie_To_Brazil-1993.jpg

From Bessie To Brazil -- CD

Susannah McCorkle

1993 Concord Jazz

Elegy, May 26, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: From Bessie to Brazil (Audio CD)

I was in my car, listening to a program that plays "standards" on a local NPR affiliate on Saturday, 5/19/01, about noon-ish, east coast time. The host came on the air to say that he had just gotten word that cabaret singer, Suzannah McCorkle had died earlier that morning after having leapt out of her apartment window in NYC. (Until that point, I had never heard of her -- a NY Times article a few days later provided greater detail about Ms. McCorcle's life). The host played "Waters of March" as a sort of tribute -- a song (I later learned) which she used to use as an encore piece in her cabaret act...and sometimes left her crying. It is a song that, on the surface, sounds lilting and pleasant enough, but whose words seem to vascillate from cozy to ambivalent to somber. In a way, the song itself was rather like someone who fights their demons in private -- apparently cheerful on the outside, but quite troubled on the inside. Indeed, it is a song that haunts.

1. “Love” (Hugh Martin, Ralph Blane)
2. “The People That You Never Get To Love” (Rupert Holmes)
3. “Thief in The Night” (Arthur Schwartz, Howard Dietz)
4. “The Waters of March” (Antonio Carlos Jobim)
5. “Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive” (Harold Arlen, Johnny Mercer)
6. “How Deep Is the Ocean?” (Irving Berlin)
7. “The Lady Is a Tramp” (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart)
8. “Quality Time” (Dave Frishberg)
9. “My Sweetie Went Away” (Lou Handman, Roy Turk)
10. “Still Crazy After All These Years” (Paul Simon)
11. “Adeus America” (Geraldo Jacques, Haroldo Barbosa, Susannah McCorkle)
12. “That Ole Devil Called Love” (Allan Roberts, Doris Fisher)
13. “Hit the Road to Dreamland” (Harold Arlen, Johnny Mercer)
14. “You Go to My Head” (J. Fred Coots, Haven Gillespie)

fea0124128a06bef93828010.L.jpg

What's New -- CD

Linda Ronstadt & The Nelson Riddle Orchestra

1983 Elektra Records

Ronstadt & Riddle: How Can You Go Wrong?, December 3, 2003
By Rebecca*rhapsodyinblue* (CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

This review is from: What's New (Audio CD)

I was never a fan of Linda Ronstadt until she recorded "What's New," "Lush Life" and "For Sentimental Reasons." Nelson Riddle did an excellent job in bringing out the very best of Linda Ronstadt with a new repertoire of ageless and romantic standards. She did very outstanding performances and I believe that she's worthy to be called a versatile singer.

Her heartfelt renditions of George and Ira Gershwin's classics," I've Got A Crush On You" and "Someone To Watch Over Me," are my very favorites. I also like her superb interpretation of Irving Berlin's "What'll I Do?" She delivers these songs with intensity and full of emotions. Very impressive! Her voice is a perfect match for these romantic classics.

This CD is a keeper and you will enjoy listening to it now and forever!

1. "What's New?" (Johnny Burke, Bob Haggart) - 3:55
2. "I've Got a Crush on You" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) - 3:28
3. "Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Dry" (Sammy Cahn, Jule Styne) - 4:13
4. "Crazy He Calls Me" (Carl Sigman, Sidney Keith Russell) - 3:33
5. "Someone to Watch Over Me" (G. Gershwin, I. Gershwin) - 4:09
6. "I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance with You" (Bing Crosby, Ned Washington, Victor Young) - 4:06
7. "What'll I Do" (Irving Berlin) - 4:06
8. "Lover Man (Oh Where Can You Be?)" (Jimmy Davis, Jimmy Sherman, Roger "Ram" Ramirez) - 4:18
9. "Goodbye" (Gordon Jenkins) - 4:47

Rosemary Clooney / Duke Ellington
Blue Rose

Columbia CL-872 (1956)

Today's thrift score. Found this gem in the middle of a group of pristine LP's, obviously from the same collection, all the rest utter schmaltz (Larry Welch, Joe Schmoe and his Orchestra, etc.).

-- Ken Dryden (allmusic.com)

100_3497.JPG
Nice Score Chicks! :thmbsp:

I have the 180g reissue and really enjoy it!
RosemaryClooneyBlueRose.jpg

Dennie

Sara Lazarus with Bireli Lagrene
It's All Right With Me

Dreyfus (2006)

It's All Right With Me marries the Great American Songbook with the incomparable gypsy swing of Bireli Lagrene's Gipsy Project for one of the most exciting and original vocal jazz records in recent memory.
-- amazon.com

51DriSYGkeL._SS500_.jpg

418JCKFTVPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Come Rain or Come Shine - The Harold Arlen Songbook -- CD

Sylvia McNair - Vocals
Andre Previn - Piano
David Finck - Double-Bass

1996 Philips Classics

Wonderful songs in superb performance, December 14, 1999
By bossa_nova (Kent) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Come Rain Or Come Shine: The Harold Arlen Songbook (Audio CD)

Harold Arlen's songs are wonderful and far too little known. Sylvia McNair sings beautifully and shows real understanding of Arlen's jazzy idiom, Andre Previn is superb in support and the whole session is a magical experience. Both are at their best in 'This time the dream's on me', a performance unlikely to be surpassed. Highly recommended to all lovers of quality music.

1. The Wizard Of Oz: Over The Rainbow
2. Cotton Club Parade - 22nd Edition: Stormy Weather
3. Rhythmania: Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea
4. Casbah: It Was Written In The Stars
5. Cotton Club Parade - 24th Edition: As Long As I Live
6. Star Spangled Rhythm: That Old Black Magic
7. The Morning After
8. House Of Flowers: A Sleepin' Bee
9. Here Come The Waves: Ac-cent-tchu-ate The Positive
10. Saratoga: Goose, Never Be A Peacock
11. St. Louis Woman: I Wonder What Became Of Me?
12. The Great Magoo: It's Only A Paper Moon
13. House Of Flowers: Two Ladies In The Shade Of The Banana Tree
14. Jamaica: Cocoanut Sweet
15. Bloomer Girl: Right As The Rain
16. Nine-Fifteen Revue: I've Got The World On A String, Get Happy
17. St Louis Woman: Come Rain Or Come Shine
18. Blues In The Night: This Time The Dream's On Me
19. Here Come The Waves: Let's Take A Walk Around The Block, Let's Take The Long Way Home
20. Last Night When We Were Young

Last edited:
51mx5hrDsaL._SS400_.jpg

Haunted Heart -- CD

Hilary Kole

2009 Justin Time Records

Product Description

After years performing in the world's top venues with such jazz legends as Hank Jones and Oscar Peterson, here is Hilary Kole's debut, produced by John Pizzarelli, a jazz star in his own right, and who also serves as the album's guitarist. Together, Hilary and John have assembled 13 songs with roots in the great American songbook, but largely unknown, including Tom Waits Old Boyfriends and You For Me, best known from the late Blossom Dearie's interpretation. Here is a jazz vocalist for today!

Hilary Kole co- created and originated the lead female roles in the critically acclaimed, award winning Off-Broadway musicals, Our Sinatra (2000 MAC Award) and Singing Astaire.

Ms. Kole has been hailed by critics as a 'a musical marvel!' (Rex Reed, New York Observer.) Robert Daniels from Daily Variety said 'Kole is quite the prettiest young thrush on the club circuit...it's torch singing at its apex.'

1. It's Love
2. There's A Small Hotel
3. 'Deed I Do
4. I Didn't Know About You
5. Better Than Anything
6. Like A Lover
7. Blackberry Winter
8. The Snake
9. Old Boyfriends
10. How Am I To Know
11. What'll I Do
12. You For Me