Today's Great American Songbook Playlist

Bob Dylan - Greatest Hits
UK pressing
index.php

I posted this in the Jazz thread, but it also deserves a place here.

Many of you probably know this lady, but I never listened to one of her albums until tonight. Wow. She simply has a beautiful voice for Standards. About half this album is "American" standards and half of it is Jazz and European/French "Standards". She also has a Peggy Lee Tribute album that I am going to hunt down, because I would bet it is marvelous. Her voice is so articulate and yet a bit smokey, with ultra-smooth quality. So easy on the ears, no acoustical fatigue at all for me. Her French is very pretty with just a hint of a Canadian accent even though she's American. I studied French in Upstate NY when I was a teen and picked up a bit of a Montreal accent when I speak French. I would bet that something similar happened to this Minnesotan born and raised singer when she learned French. If you have not heard this one, it may be worth your time to listen. The variety of songs is very good, the accompanying musicians are tight and the singing is superb.

Connie Evingson - Gypsy in my Soul

51WTGM6H03L.jpg

I posted this in the Jazz thread, but it also deserves a place here.

Many of you probably know this lady, but I never listened to one of her albums until tonight. Wow. She simply has a beautiful voice for Standards. About half this album is "American" standards and half of it is Jazz and European/French "Standards". She also has a Peggy Lee Tribute album that I am going to hunt down, because I would bet it is marvelous. Her voice is so articulate and yet a bit smokey, with ultra-smooth quality. So easy on the ears, no acoustical fatigue at all for me. Her French is very pretty with just a hint of a Canadian accent even though she's American. I studied French in Upstate NY when I was a teen and picked up a bit of a Montreal accent when I speak French. I would bet that something similar happened to this Minnesotan born and raised singer when she learned French. If you have not heard this one, it may be worth your time to listen. The variety of songs is very good, the accompanying musicians are tight and the singing is superb.

Connie Evingson - Gypsy in my Soul

51WTGM6H03L.jpg

Will spin it next, never heard of her prior to this post.

Back
Top Bottom