Today's Great American Songbook Playlist

Thanks for Posting this one Chicks!

This Gal can sing! :yes:

8c58e03ae7a0d0ab851d1210.L.png

Make Someone Happy -- CD

Sophie Milman

2007 Koch Records

Review

With her sophomore recording, vocalist Milman trumps her triumphant self-titled debut disc that's already sold almost 100,000 copies. This time on 13 songs, her already confident delivery is even more assured, her new maturity underscored in a well-chosen, eclectic program that finds space for covers of Stevie Wonder's "Rocket Love," the Guess Who's "Undun" and "Matchmaker, Maker" from Fiddler On The Roof. Her delicate title tune work is a delight, as is her cool take on "Fever," and while they hint at youthful innocence there are new reserves of understanding in her fresh interpretations. Top track: It's the unlikely lament of Kermit the Frog, yes, "It's Not Easy Being Green," that's an ever-so-subtle commentary on her life so far. Her future's full of promise she'll prove it again when she guests with barefoot diva Cesaria Evora at Roy Thomson Hall June 28. The record's in stores June 19. --Geoff Chapman - The Toronto Star

1. "People Will Say We're in Love" Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II 3:08
2. "Something In The Air Between Us" Steve McKinnon 4:12
3. "Rocket Love" Stevie Wonder 4:33
4. "So Long, You Fool" Paul Shrofel 3:04
5. "Matchmaker, Matchmaker" Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick 3:17
6. "Like Someone in Love" Jimmy Van Heusen and Johnny Burke 3:30
7. "Make Someone Happy" Jule Styne, Betty Comden, Adolph Green 4:00
8. "(It's Not Easy) Bein' Green" Joe Raposo 4:41
9. "Reste (Stay)" Cameron Wallis 3:31
10. "Fever" Eddie Cooley and John Davenport 5:13
11. "Undun" Randy Bachman 3:38
12. "It Might as Well Be Spring" Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II 3:36
13. "Eli, Eli (A Walk To Caesarea)" Hannah Senesh 3:23
14. "Stay (English version)" (Bonus Track) Cameron Wallis 3:31

I have that album. Love it!!
Do you have this one? I highly recommend it! :yes:

41tCKzwCTvL._SS400_.jpg

Skylark -- CD

Renee Olstead

2007 Reprise Records

Product Description

Nine days after her seventeenth birthday, singing sensation Renee Olstead and her stunning bluesy jazz voice take flight with her second major-label album, Skylark. Backed by esteemed producer/arranger David Foster (Josh Groban, Michael Buble, Celine Dion) on strings, piano, horns and often keyboards, Olstead stamps her mark on standards and modern classics and premieres four originals she co-wrote, including one with Foster. Following her 2004 #1 Jazz self-titled album, Olstead soars on Skylark.

1. "Midnight Man" – 3:02
2. "Lover Man" - 5:02
3. "Stars Fell On Alabama" - 3:15
4. "My Baby Just Cares For Me" - 3:03
5. "When I Fall In Love (ft. Chris Botti)" - 4:43
6. "Thanks For The Boogie Ride" - 3:01
7. "Hold Me Now" - 4:02
8. "Skylark" - 4:12
9. "Midnight In Austin Texas (ft. Robert Randolph)" - 3:25
10. "Hit The Road Jack" - 3:22
11. "You've Changed" - 3:27
12. "Ain't We Got Fun" - 2:45
13. "Nothing But The Blame" - 4:11

4cf0793509a04b2322397110.L.jpg

Blue -- CD

Diana Ross

2006 Motown Records

In late 1971, after Diana Ross completed filming the Billie Holiday bio-pic Lady Sings the Blues, Motown put her in the studio to record an album of jazz standards to coincide with the movie's release. The material was shelved after the producers decided to keep Ross on the pop-star track, which soon produced the #1 hit "Touch Me in the Morning."

This summer Motown is releasing that long-lost album, entitled Blue. A welcome attempt to cash in on the recent standards successes of Rod Stewart , Carly Simon, Queen Latifah and others, it's a tastefully recorded piece of jazz-lite. Produced by Gil Askey, the album burbles with orchestral swells, but never to the point of overwhelming the material. Ross' voice is sugary-sweet throughout, and she favors succinct phrasing over straining melisma—clarity of tone is her touchstone. Thankfully she makes no attempt to imitate Lady Day's delicate growl; she sticks to clear lines and rarely plays with the beat, letting the song do the work for her.

And these songs do plenty, with gems like "What A Difference A Day Makes," "But Beautiful," "Love Is Here To Stay" and "My Man." The formula is flawless, and while it never touches Holiday's emotional depths, it never descends into decorative kitsch, either. Risk-taking should be reserved for those who can pull it off—and the professionalism on display here plays it safe with style and sincerity.

"Let's Do It is a prime example. Anchored by an acoustic guitar strum, murmuring strings and a muted trumpet, Ross' voice lightly bounces as it talks of those "goldfish in the privacy of bowls falling in love. She modulates her voice within a limited range, but each tweak adds wry humor, allowing the graceful turns of phrase an ideal setting to make their impact. These renditions don't bear much of a personal stamp, but they shimmer with life regardless. That's what a beautiful voice can do for you.

1. "What a Diff'rence a Day Makes" (Adams, Grever) - 3:28
2. "No More" (Camarata, Russell) - 3:09
3. "Let's Do It" (Cole Porter) - 3:00
4. "I Loves Ya Porgy" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin, DuBose Heyward) - 5:11
5. "Smile" (Charlie Chaplin, Geoffrey Parsons, John Turner) - 2:58
6. "But Beautiful" (Burke, VanHeusen) - 2:50
7. "Had You Been Around" (Richard Jacques, Ronald Miller, Avery Vandenburg, Bernard Yuffy) - 3:29
8. "Little Girl Blue" (Lorenz Hart, Richard Rodgers) - 4:00
9. "Can't Get Started with You" (Duke, Gershwin) - 3:10
10. "Love Is Here to Stay" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) - 2:13
11. "You've Changed" (Bill Carey, Carl Fischer) - 2:54
12. "My Man" (Charles, Pollack, Willemetz, Yvain) - 3:31
13. "Easy Living" (Ralph Rainger, Leo Robin) - 2:54
14. "Solitude" (Eddie DeLange, Edward Ellington, Irving Mills) - 2:05
15. "He's Funny That Way" (Daniels, Richard Whiting) - 3:02
16. "T'Ain't Nobody's Bizness If I Do" (Peter Grainger, Everett Robbins) - 2:22

Tracks 12-15 were originally recorded for Lady Sings the Blues but some were left out of the movie or, were included in the movie in a different version and in the soundtrack.[2]

"Blue" peaked at #2 on Billboard's Top Jazz Albums chart.

6efa71a88da0a6f661f7d110.L.jpg

Midnight Sun -- CD

Herb Alpert

1992 A&M Records

This is one of my favorite recordings of Herb Alpert., June 8, 1999
By A Customer

This review is from: Midnight Sun (Audio CD)

This album is not for those desirous of loud and heavy rhythms. Instead, Alpert combines mellowness, melancholy, and melody. All his pieces are tasteful and soothing. "Someone to Watch Over Me" and "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" includes Herb's singing.

1. Midnight Sun (Lionel Hampton, Sonny Burke, Johnny Mercer) 6:05
2. All The Things You Are (Oscar Hammerstein II, Jerome Kern) 3:53
3. Someone To Watch Over Me (George & Ira Gershwin) 5:16
4. In The Wee Small Hours (Bob Hilliard, David Mann) 5:53
5. Friends (Eddie Del Barrio, Herb Alpert) 4:21
6. A Taste Of Honey (Bobby Scott, Rick Marlow) 6:52
7. Mona Lisa (Jay Livingston, Ray Evans) 5:46
8. I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face (Alan Jay Lerner, Frederick Loewe) 5:07
9. Silent Tears And Roses (Eddie Del Barrio) 3:50
10. Smile (Charlie Chaplin, John Terner, Geoffrey Parsons) 4:13

45ea224128a0203898dda010.L.jpg

Renee Olstead -- CD

Renee Olstead

2004 Reprise Records

Outstanding new vocalist, May 25, 2004
By Wilfred555 (Nowhere Special)

This review is from: Renee Olstead (Audio CD)

Renee Olstead could turn out to be the discovery of the decade. With a voice as nuanced, versatile and downright charming as they come she's about to set the musical world on fire with the release of her first major-label album.

The fact that Renee's still in high school (!) may give her extra credit, but she doesn't need it. This jazzy-bluesy torch singer can easily hold her own with the big gals like Norah Jones and Diana Krall while evoking the young Doris Day and even Roberta Flack.

"Renee Olstead" has several break-out tunes which stay in your head for hours, including her spellbinding and swirly "Summertime," her impeccably voiced "Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby" and her deliriously beautiful remake of Maria Muldaur's signature song, "Midnight at the Oasis."

Unlike other famous musical wunderkinds whose precocity (and notoriety) is much more apparent than their artistry, Renee Olstead doesn't overachieve in the slightest. Rather, she is utterly convincing as an assured and adept stylist with an affinity for music given to few.

After hearing this extraordinary album I can fully understand the raves it's been getting from professional critics as well as their collective disbelief that this is "just a kid" singing.

1. "Summertime" (Gershwin, Gershwin, Heyward) ? 4:12
2. "Taking a Chance on Love" (Duke, Fetter, Latouche) ? 3:31
3. "Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby" (Austin, Jordan) ? 3:20
4. "Someone to Watch Over Me" (Gershwin, Gershwin) ? 4:26
5. "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do" (Greenfield, Sedaka) ? 4:11
6. "A Love That Will Last" (Foster, Thompson) ? 3:32
7. "Meet Me, Midnight" (Manilow, Sussman) ? 2:56
8. "Sunday Kind of Love" (Belle, Nye, Prima, Rhodes) ? 4:34
9. "On a Slow Boat to China" (Loesser) ? 3:16
10. "What a Diff'rence a Day Makes" (Adams, Grever) ? 3:27
11. "Midnight at the Oasis" (Nichtern) ? 3:21
12. "Sentimental Journey" (Brown, Green, Homer)

0073145204292_500X500.jpg

The Great Ladies Sing Gershwin -- CD

Various Artists

1997 Polygram Records

The Ladies Sing with Class, August 12, 2005
By A. B. King - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Great Ladies Sing Gershwin (Audio CD)

These are classic renditions of classic Gershwin from Verve Records. The only disappointment is The Dinah Washington rendition of Summertime is an instrumental, no Dinah singing, unless she's humming in the background. The trumpet solo is marvelous. She does sing "I've got a crush on you." No liner notes are provided. All you get is the singer, the title and the original album.

Track listing

1. Fascinatin' Rhythm - Ella Fitzgerald
2. Let's Call the Whole Thing Off - Sarah Vaughan
3. I Loves You, Porgy - Nina Simone
4. Summertime - Dinah Washington
5. Nice Work If You Can Get It - Ella Fitzgerald
6. Our Love Is Here to Stay - Shirley Horn
7. 'S Wonderful - Sarah Vaughan
8. I've Got a Crush on You - Dinah Washington
9. They Can't Take That Away From Me - Ella Fitzgerald
10. Someone to Watch Over Me - Sarah Vaughan
11. Embraceable You - Sarah Vaughan
12. Man I Love, The - Betty Carter (bonus track)

9f27225b9da089d0c1ce4110.L.jpg

The Gershwin Connection -- CD

Dave Grusin

1991 GRP Records

Great Interpretations!, June 10, 2000
By JK (Albuquerque, NM USA) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Gershwin Connection (Audio CD)
If you want classical interpretations of Gershwin tunes, then this CD is not for you. If you want to hear really great, fresh jazz interpretations of some of the best music ever written, then grab this right away.

Dave Grusin does a super job with this one. The arrangements as well as the recording quality are A#1! Best CD I have bought in a while.

Track listing

1. That Certain Feeling
2. Soon
3. Fascinating Rhythm
4. Prelude II
5. How Long Has This Been Going On?
6. There's a Boat Dat's Leavin' Soon For New York
7. My Man's Gone Now
8. Maybe
9. Our Love Is Here to Stay
10. 'S Wonderful
11. I've Got Plenty O' Nuthin'
12. Nice Work If You Can Get It
13. Bess You Is My Woman / I Loves You Porgy

I am really enjoying this one....

51NXsWG-5-L._SS500_.jpg

85 Candles - Live In New York -- 2 CD Set

Marian McPartland & Friends

2005 Concord Music

On the day after Marian McPartland turned 85, this large group of her jazz friends got together at Birdland in New York to celebrate with her. She played piano with them in an endearing program of love songs that belie their affection for each other. Everybody loves Marian McPartland and respects her for her many accomplishments.

Concord's 2-CD set captures this event in detail. It has aired on NPR several times. McPartland enjoyed the get-together. Of the evening's effect on her, she remarked, "It was wonderful having all these people at a party and then getting to play with so many of my friends."

On 85 Candles she performs piano duets with Dr. Billy Taylor, Jason Moran and George Wein. Norah Jones sings "The Nearness of You" with McPartland's trio. Karrin Allyson sings the pianist's "Twilight World." Nnenna Freelon sings "What Am I Here For?" and Jackie Cain sings "While We're Young" with McPartland's piano accompaniment. Clark Terry and Phil Woods are on hand to participate. Roy Hargrove performs "My Foolish Heart" with McPartland at the piano, and Barbara Carroll sings "Old Friend" from the heart.

Regina Carter interprets "I Can't Believe that You're in Love With Me" with reflections of Swing. Jim Hall and McPartland create a "Free Piece" that plunges into the inner depths of musical partnership. They communicate openly and freely.

"But Not For Me" features Curtis Stigers with McPartland, Gary Mazzaroppi, and Glenn Davis. His enthusiastic swing and lively scat chorus represent a whole generation of great straight-ahead jazz. "I've Told Every Little Star" features Jackie King with the same trio. As with everyone else on the program, the guitarist tugs at our heartstrings in the spirit of the evening. His warm, fluid delivery proves memorable.

McPartland's trio interpretation of "Yesterdays" brings Bill Crow on board with drummer Davis. Together, they sashay gracefully through reflections of more than a half century in jazz. She's been performing like this since 1938, and plans to continue forever. We're fortunate to have her in our corner of the planet.:yes:

Track listing

DISC 1:

1. I Love You
2. Nearness of You, The
3. Tangerine
4. Last Night When We Were Young
5. Twilight World
6. I Can't Believe That You're in Love With Me
7. Free Piece
8. Old Friend
9. Have You Met Miss Jones
10. Take the 'A' Train