Today's GW Score-"Angelica's"-Audio/Planner speakers-WOW! One-off Prototypes?

It is clear, GD, that someone really knew their stuff, and put a TON of work into those speakers. I say clean them up (if you haven't already, been awhile since I thumbed thru this thread) and let them blast. Enjoy a one-of-a-kind set of beautiful speakers.

The yarn thing had me laughing, but I'm not laughing anymore after giving it some thought.

It is clear, GD, that someone really knew their stuff, and put a TON of work into those speakers. I say clean them up (if you haven't already, been awhile since I thumbed thru this thread) and let them blast. Enjoy a one-of-a-kind set of beautiful speakers.

The yarn thing had me laughing, but I'm not laughing anymore after giving it some thought.
Hey onward!

I haven't given these cosmetic attention yet.
I spotted the woofer on fleabay, and pulled one of mine to make sure it was the same model. I'd been wanting to get inside the bass box but there was no real urgency, just curiosity to see what's in there. It was a beotch getting that woofer out of there. Black silicon besides the 6 large hex bolts holding it in. Being ported, the baskets don't need to be sealed to the cabs. One more over the top aspects of these.
They have been on the side for a while since I finished the AR12's. I'll hook these back up soon.

Glenn

Those are fabulous speakers - again - Glenn. Nice find. I think, when I've time, I'm going to go back through this thread and get the dimensions, pictures of the crossovers and what not and fabricate a pair. They look so darn cool... Please let me know when you get to the cosmetics... a very interesting find...
Hey Mar!
Thanks for checking in! They are very cool. You have skills and tools to fabricate the pyramid cabs?
I haven't decided yet if I'll sand these down completely, and do the usual veneer splice repairs, or possibly re-veneer them, putting the new veneer right over the original.
My feelings are mixed on this, I want to keep them original, pay homage to the original builder, but new veneer could be so much better and each cab pair grain matched. Of course I'd keep and reuse all the original badging.
Glenn

If I had the veneer skills as you and tools to do it properly, I'd probably go the second route and re-veneer them, bring them back to A-1 condition. Don't know if they came with grills or not but you could fabricate those and keep the same (even make new) labeling for them and chuff them up.... Love the look of them... Cheers from the North...
Hey Mar,
There were never grills for these, which doesn't bother me. I like to see the drivers, my kids are grown and out of the house, so no worries about pushed in dust caps and so on.
I would keep the badges as they are. My goal would be to restore without altering much.
Glenn

Nothing new regarding the builder, but I have been cranking them this evening. Haven't listened to them in a while being so wrapped up with the 910's.
These speakers are so 3-D, I can't get over it. I've been listening to a lot of live stuff lately, and these speakers are so well suited for this type of recording it's really amazing, just immersed in the crowd, the spaceiousness of the music just continues to blow me away.
I plan to bring these to the NY Metro gathering later this month to demo. Others should get the chance to hear these too.

Such a mystery, obvious great quality.

Have you taken any recent pics, or got them shiny now?? Gonna go back thru the thread and look.

Such a mystery, obvious great quality.

Have you taken any recent pics, or got them shiny now?? Gonna go back thru the thread and look.
Hey onward,
No cosmetic work on them yet. Been focusing on the cabs for my JVC amp & pre amp this summer.
I did pull one of the woofers to see what's going on in the bass boxes and posted some pics of the crossovers. I found a woofer on fleabay and wanted to make sure it was a match, so now I have a back up just in case. These drivers are not commonly found any more, only once in a while showing up on line.
Glenn

Another great AK thread. Glenn, I can't recall but did you ever weigh these? They remind me of my own Sony, both in size and shape so I'm curious about their weight. The Sony's despite only being about 30 in tall weigh an impressive 53 lbs. It wouldn't surprise me if your's weigh even more.

Another great AK thread. Glenn, I can't recall but did you ever weigh these? They remind me of my own Sony, both in size and shape so I'm curious about their weight. The Sony's despite only being about 30 in tall weigh an impressive 53 lbs. It wouldn't surprise me if your's weigh even more.
Hey cub dog,
I have not weighed them, and now I'm curious. We don't have a scale so I may have to borrow a neighbor's. They are pretty heavy though, I'd guess in the 75 lb range combined upper and lower enclosures. They're 36 1/4 inches tall.
Glenn

I have to wonder if the mystery designer is still building and if he is, what his current builds sound like. (Alright, PC Police...maybe she.)

I have to wonder if the mystery designer is still building and if he is, what his current builds sound like. (Alright, PC Police...maybe she.)
Hey Jeff!
You never know. As the thread, observations, and info collected, it became more clear these are most likely a DIY build, not prototypes, though the serial number still has me thinking about this. I started a thread on these over on the PE forum which has a huge number if DIYers, hoping someone would recognize them, but no dice. I occasionally bump the thread hoping someone that hasn't seen the thread may have seen these or knew the builder.
Anyway, they are my best thrift store find along with my AR3's.
Glenn

Nothing new on the search front unfortunately.
I haven't listened to these for a while being all smitten with the ADS 910's, and recently restored AR3's. I've been working on a freelance project each night in my studio/cave and been in pure bliss listening to my tunes. Switched to the Angelica's and again I am shocked at how great these speakers are! The dimensionality is uncanny! Bass is amazing, and this is at lower volumes as the wife is asleep early. It's too bad the builder of these may never be known.

Back
Top Bottom