Today's Heino Playlist

My mother (born and raised in Germany) is a huge Heino fan. My sisters and I always got a kick out of making fun of her Heino collection. But I have to admit, the guy has a great voice. I wish mine was as deep. In the 70s I always thought he was a stoner with the dark glasses.

One New Years Eve in Prague my friend and I were left with the task of preparing the meal while the ladies, my wife, his German wife and her friend from Berlin went out for the afternoon. When they got home the meal was one hour behind schedule and my friend and I were a bit drunk singing along to Heino blasting on the stereo. It was then that I first discovered the deep, deep hatred that younger Germans have for Heino. :D

I searched for a Heino thread but I did not assume to find ACTUALLY one...

AudioKarma is an eternal treasure box.

Well - Does humour belong in music? (Godfather Frank Zappa)

Did you folks overseas realize the earthquake 74 years old Heinz Georg Kramm triggered recently in Germany?

This is the story:

Heino was parodied for decades by many musicians and comedians. Now it is my turn, he thought and covered songs of german punk rock bands like "Die Ärzte" "Rammstein" etc., by the way, all covered bands are cr.p in my ears, but Heino did a very good job and released a sensational album called "Mit freundlichen Grüssen" ("Kind regards").

The album received some 700 reviews on german amazon in two weeks, most of them five stars reviews. :banana:

Facebook, twitter, music forums, the media...Heino everywhere...:yes:

The most intresting fact is the reaction of some bands: they attacked Heino in a harsh disgusting manner, for example Farin Urlaub, the "Ärzte" singer: "I must vomit".

Heino was in many talk shows now and what he said was very impressive. "Was stört es eine alte Eiche wenn eine Sau sich an ihr schubbert?" ( "What cares an old oak when a pig chafes on it?") "All those young musicians are praying tolerance and respect - and what are they doing in my case?" "They talk about music, but they cannot sing. I sung their songs. It is ridiculous, most of them got just one octave, some of my songs got three octaves." "We all love music for fun. Music is fun. Why such a behaviour, why such a hate?" :sigh:

Heino Superstar, I bow to him, to his sublime attitudes. :thmbsp:

Yes, humour belongs in music, but some do not understand, Zappa and Heino do!!!

:tresbon:

Thanks for this. I only have a couple of Heino albums, and mainly as a novelty, but watching some videos I was struck (and touched) by how much joyful affection he shared with his audiences. Undoubtedly a man of his post-war times.

If the punks hate him so much, I can only imagine what they must think of Nina Hagen now.

If somebody does not like Heino - okay, very okay. But if somebody hates him, something goes wrong.

"I encountered evil things. Evil. I do not understand this. Somebody who really loves music cannot be that evil."

(Heino)

Some etymology pleasing?

70 years ago little Heinz Georg got a little sister. When she was about two years old she tried to pronounce the name of her brother, but failed. Heinz Georg was too complicated. She called him Heino. This is a true story.

Andy_Warhol.jpg

Auntie Andy adopted the look, too.

And here's George Jones looking very Heino, too!

Attachments

• georgejones.jpg
    georgejones.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 2
He certainly DOESN'T sound like what I imagined a somewhat odd-looking almost-albino chap would sound like...Figgered he'd have a high-pitched, squeaky, breathy voice, not the booming baritone he is. Bet he really didn't need amplifiers...Not really a big fan of "Oom-Pah" beer drinking type music, but he does it EXCEPTIONALLY well.. And he's made quite a career out of it all-The glasses, the Uber-blondeness, the booming voice...Good for him !

My dad listened to Heino and also Heintje. Do you have any Heintje?

I was flipping through a box of my records the other day and thought I saw two copies of the same Heintje album. If memory serves I initially had gotten the idea in my head that he was Heino's son [he is not] and I probably bought them because of that. I don't think I ever played them again after the first spin. If anybody wants one [maybe even both] I'd be happy to send it to you for the cost of shipping.

He certainly DOESN'T sound like what I imagined a somewhat odd-looking almost-albino chap would sound like...Figgered he'd have a high-pitched, squeaky, breathy voice, not the booming baritone he is. Bet he really didn't need amplifiers...Not really a big fan of "Oom-Pah" beer drinking type music, but he does it EXCEPTIONALLY well.. And he's made quite a career out of it all-The glasses, the Uber-blondeness, the booming voice...Good for him !

"Oom-Pah" beer drinking type music, yes. For example "Ja ja so blau blau blau blüht der Ennziiiiaaaaan..." :sigh: :D

But Wally Swift opened my eyes, and I realized that I was pretty arrogant and misjudged Heino in the last decades, because I had overseen that he also cultivated the traditional "Volkslieder" which are something completely different than the "Oom-Pah" Schlager.

Those Volkslieder are Lieder that were sung for centuries especially by the rural population. "Wenn die bunten Fahnen wehen", "Im Frühtau zu Berge" are such songs.

The borders to what we call "Kunstlied" (Schubert, Schumann, Mahler, Wolff) are sometimes fluent. Some songs you can call Volkslied and also Kunstlied. Example: "Am Brunnen vor dem Tore" This Lied is German Liedkultur at it´s very best and wunderschön!!! Especially when Heino sings that Lied. :yes:

But in my opinion the most beautiful Lied (and also sung by Heino) is this one:

Kein schöner Land in dieser Zeit,
Als hier das unsre weit und breit,
Wo wir uns finden unter den Linden,
Zur Abendzeit,
Wo wir uns finden unter den Linden,
Zur Abendzeit.

I am sitting here on my desk and I am singing it, pity that you cannot hear me.

This Lied is really moving, touching.

A carpenter, a farmer, a lumber jack had worked hard all day long. The evening comes. He is tired but contended and he sits down on the bench under the big old linden tree. And now he sings that song, not loud, just for himself, you can hardly hear him singing. This mood is captured in that song.

Last edited:
Isen´t that gorgeous? I knew that Heino sung once "Kein schöner Land.." but I did not know that he had released a LP titled with this song.

Just purchased via Ebay...

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom