Today's INDIE Playlist

I tend to find post-rock a little tedious. Most songs, although unstructured, tend to follow a fairly predictable arc. In the end, songs and bands are fairly interchangeable(to me). Not so with GY!BE. This is great. It's far more orchestral and experimental than most post-rock, with multiple movements in the same same. I suppose lumping it in with post-rock would be unfair.

edit: what a useless post. sorry for yammering on.

Of all the times I've heard about GY!BE or flipped past them at the record store, I've never taken the time to listen to them. Because of your post, I'm finally giving it a go. I started with Lift your skinny fists..., and now I'm about 15 minutes into F#A#infinity. It's good. Really, really good. Right in my wheelhouse.

Thanks for the prompting!

I'm glad my recommendation worked out! F#A# Infinity occupies the CD storage space that gets played often at this place. When I heard "Dead Flag Blues" on radio, it was an album I HAD to have. I've slowly been backfilling their catalogue since then.

And on that note, here's this wonderful piece of Canadian art.

Last edited:
I tend to find post-rock a little tedious. Most songs, although unstructured, tend to follow a fairly predictable arc. In the end, songs and bands are fairly interchangeable(to me). Not so with GY!BE. This is great. It's far more orchestral and experimental than most post-rock, with multiple movements in the same same. I suppose lumping it in with post-rock would be unfair.

edit: what a useless post. sorry for yammering on.

No that's OK. I like Tool in the Heavy Metal genre for much the same reasons. I like the bands that everyone tries to pin a label on and come up with about 5 or 6. Radiohead is another.

Back
Top Bottom