Today's INDIE Playlist

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by AB88, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Johnno_Oz

Johnno_Oz AK Subscriber Subscriber

70's inspired, released this year.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Johnno_Oz

3. Johnno_Oz

i'll throw this one on the jangle thread too!

loopstick likes this.
  4. loopstick

loopstick AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey - it works for me now too. Right now I'm listening to your FBI Radio 94.5 FM Sydney NSW. I was listening earlier today and texted a request for "Good Advice" by the Growlers - but the text may have dropped into the Pacific along the way. Or the girl was into this smooth RnB groove and didn't want to break the spell.

I know the internet has been around for a while but I've always listened old school with an FM tuner and antenna. So I'm just getting into this radio stuff on the internet. Right now my default station is XS Manchester in the UK. Not "indie" by definition - but it's Manchester (tons of 1990's flashbacks) and the commercials are fun. And they do play the cool modern bands. But the real fun is in the hunt for the magic college stations. Toronto has a commercial indie station but it's kind of a buzzkill cuz they have all the annoying trappings of typical commercial FM.

souljay3 likes this.
  5. loopstick

One "trick" I've learned to find cool radio stations is to Google "name of band I like" + "interview" + "radio". It turns out that our friends The Growlers visited the studios of Sydney's FBi 94.5 FM. She even mentions the song I requested !

Listen :: The Growlers interview + ‘Black Memories’ live on Lunch

[​IMG]

At the end of the interview she plays a tune by the Growlers' opening act -

Johnno_Oz and souljay3 like this.
  6. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

Not college but you can take it out for a spin, crash helmet recommended for daytime propaganda.
    https://www.kcrw.com/playlists

7. Johnno_Oz

FBI is my local station, my dial is pretty well GLUED to it in the car.

Anyhoo I'm off to see The Brian Jonestown Massacre at the Metro in Sydney in a few hours. I'll give y'all a report. Hope they aren't too stoned or in bad moods.

souljay3 and loopstick like this.
  8. loopstick

Radio Student - 100.5 FM - University of Zagreb - Croatia

9. Johnno_Oz

10. loopstick

It looks like a college (Santa Monica College) "hosts" the station - but it's top heavy with NPR content. I hear you about the propaganda. Yesterday I was listening to a station in Washington State (perhaps KUGS - Western Washington U) and this old coot shuffles into the studio and practically screeches the news. Whew! I use this cool linux app called "Gradio" so it's easy to jump to another stored station.

I've been listening to this feed for several hours and it's been all decent tunes with no propaganda:

KCRW-HD2 - "Eclectic 24" - Santa Monica College - California

I'm gonna have to update the links list.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    souljay3 likes this.
  11. loopstick

Real XS 106.1 Manchester

Johnno_Oz and souljay3 like this.

12. Johnno_Oz

BJMMetro.jpg

BJM Sydney Metro Saturday 9th of June.

It was a good gig. Not a great gig but a good gig. Anton can be a bit prickly when things don't go his way, so there were a couple of song restarts when the band didn't get in his groove. He hates hecklers and had one booted out. One of the roadies got a bollocking. He also had the whole crowd offside at one stage with some comments about Sydney. Anyway all was forgiven when he started playing again. He was pretty chuffed with two sellout gigs in Sydney. The best way I can put it......there was tension and I suppose from tension sometimes come good things.

I wasn't the eldest in the crowd by a long shot. There were a lot of us grey hairs in there. So the crowd was aged 18- their 70's.

The music was great and the band have their chops right, ranging from lovely jangly pop to full aural psychedelic feedback assault. The drummer suits the band well.

There were some newer songs I hadn't heard but had that BJM feel about it. And there were a couple of their favourites. Servo, Anenome, That Girl Suicide, Who?, If Love is the Drug, Nevertheless, Nailing Honey to the Bee and Wisdom. Wisdom (I think) finished up the gig with screaming swirling feedback, then each guitarist exiting and leaving their guitar with feedback on stage. Anton remained on stage fiddling with them getting all sorts of choppy effects. That was amazing.

So, a good gig where everyone left happy. I saw Anton's tweet after the gig and he returned to an empty hotel room expecting a party with a bathtub full of beer and no-one turned up.

souljay3 likes this.
  13. souljay3

souljay3 Super Member

what did he say about sydney?

14. Johnno_Oz

Anthony Bourdain was one of his friends and either had filmed Anton cooking or was going to film him cooking at his home in Berlin. Anton found out that Bourdain had died while off stage the day before. Anyway while he was relating the story some people were woo-ing and he said that was the wrong response. More "woos" from asshole hecklers. Then a response no wonder you have the lockout (early closing nightclubs) laws in here in Sydney you Sydney people can't handle your alcohol. Followed by a big "ohh" from the audience and some embarrassed silence, which was strange in a sold out gig.

"I think i'll just play same music and not share anything with you from now on."

Like I said tension

souljay3 likes this.
  15. loopstick

KUGS 89.3 - Western Washington University - Bellingham WA

Attached Files:

16. loopstick

My former favorite bands - The Growlers, Vundabar - kinda clinked with their last albums. So I was worried about the new La Luz album. Not to worry. The chick in the center is from Michigan.

mchriste, 7.62, tubed and 1 other person like this.

17. Johnno_Oz

18. loopstick

This is cool. Another way to locate college stations. Spinitron. Quote: "Spinitron caters to college, community and educational stations where the DJs spin the tunes according to independent aesthetic policies. Thousands of these stations across the country provide the alternative to the narrowly-defined music repertoire that commercial stations are forced to present."

This is kinda fascinating:

https://spinitron.com/

The charts are cool too, and so is the free 24 hour search:

https://spinitron.com/m/search

Two bands I like that broke up years ago are Seapony and Vivian Girls. No hits for Seapony, but some hits for Vivian Girls:

KUOI - University of Idaho in Moscow
    WDBM - Michigan State University in East Lansing
    KSYM - San Antonio College
    WEFT - A "community" (?) station in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois

19. loopstick

KUGS 89.3 FM - Western Washington University - Bellingham

Johnno_Oz likes this.
  20. loopstick

KUGS 89.3 FM - Western Washington University - Bellingham

tubed likes this.