Today's Irish/Scottish/English folk playlist

Traffic's cover of "John Barleycorn Must Die" is your obvious UK folk tie-in, having been covered by every UK folkie from Bert Jansch to Steeleye Span to Fairport.
Agreed. Even Chris Wood has a version (the non-Traffic folkie)

Last edited:
R-3864885-1347365994-9100.jpeg.jpg

Have you or anyone else here on AK checked out the two albums Mr. Jones has released with his old playing partner Ralph McTell? Apparently they would play together back in the old folkie days and have recently recorded again.

I have not heard(but want to) the McTell/Jones album. I do have the Renbourn/Jones album, and that is very, very good.

A lot of the music of Robert Burns today, on his birthday...

Rod Paterson - 'Songs From the Bottom Drawer'

510kvEegCtL._SY355_.jpg

Jim Malcolm - 'Acquaintance'

41%2BeLgozaoL._SX425_.jpg

And more to come...

Last edited:
Reorganizing my cassettes I ran across, and had to play, "The Clancy Brothers, with Robbie O'Connell--LIVE!" Vanguard CV79445 Recorded in 1982.

Continuing my tour of Burn's Scotland, in honor of his birthday, with...

Eddi Reader - 'The Songs of Robert Burns'

412JutqJHoL._SY355_.jpg

And Dougie Maclean -'Tribute'...

419uylJ9NeL.jpg

Enjoyed with a bit 'o haggis, tattees and peas (no neeps) for dinner and later, a dram... :)

upload_2018-1-29_10-5-24.jpegupload_2018-1-29_10-5-38.jpeg Ralph's 25th anniversary cd, a nice overview of this stalwart English folk singer songwriter & if possible under rated guitar player. The disc displays all of his talents here, guitar playing, fine voice, brilliant song writing, "The Setting" an immigration song written from the rare perspective of those left behind & one of his best. A all star cast of folk rock musicians appear on the various songs including Gerry Conway, Maartin Allcock, Jerry Donhue, Dave Mattacks, Richard Thompson, etc. Worth it for "Bridge Of Sighs" alone, the super group that never was, Ralph, Maart, Richard & DM, featuring some of RT's finest session work with a ripping and as always under stated solo. Jerry Donahue's playing on "Throw Out A line & Dream", it also exemplary. Buy it.

Back
Top Bottom