Today's Irish/Scottish/English folk playlist

P8079083.jpg

ANTHOLOGY
The Definitive Collection (1980-1992)
June Tabor

Music Club

Including the worst cover of Richard Thompson's 'Night Comes In' that I've ever heard. It is so bad, it could only have been done out of spite. Other than that, a great collection of a decade's output.

I am the thread starter, but I have not been receiving notifications for some reason, and kind of forgot about it.

I see 12 new pages have been added in my absence - keep it up, fellow listeners!

June Tabor
Live On The BBC: 1983-1988
(FM-sourced ROIO)

That is a very obscure ROIO indeed - internet search reveals nothing. It is surprising that someone would produce a boot of an artist who sold so few legit records in the grand scheme of things.

That is a very obscure ROIO indeed - internet search reveals nothing. It is surprising that someone would produce a boot of an artist who sold so few legit records in the grand scheme of things.
She’s done a lot of radio concerts for the BBC so it shouldn’t come as a huge surprise that someone taped some of them.

She’s done a lot of radio concerts for the BBC so it shouldn’t come as a huge surprise that someone taped some of them.

That's it exactly, and ober a 10-year period, approximately, in various configurations where accompanying artists are concerned, the most persistent being one Martin Simpson, the one BritFolk geetarist who IMO rivals Rebourn, Martyn, McTell, Graham, and even Thompson for his picking ability and possesses an added dimension that the other lack: Martin can slide and he slides very well indeed. I'd say his slidin' outranks that of Drake, who was a bit of a dabbler in the craft, and Jimmy Page, who while very good, sorta stuck to the American Delta Blues style, while Simpson sorta invented a slide technique that uniquely fit traditional British Folk ballads, etc. Recall in the playing of his BritFolk "traditoinals", i.e., "White Summer" and "Black Mountain Side", Pagey did not use slide technique, @least not on the 100+ concerts I have of him playing one or both on stage. @ Pagey the slide was usually reserved for "In My Time Of Dying", a number derived directly from the Black Delta Blues experience.

Last edited:
ANTHOLOGY
The Definitive Collection (1980-1992)
June Tabor

Music Club

Including the worst cover of Richard Thompson's 'Night Comes In' that I've ever heard. It is so bad, it could only have been done out of spite. Other than that, a great collection of a decade's output.

It's the same track as on her Oysterband album, Freedom and Rain, but with a somewhat better, less murky EQ. I kinda like it.

A few dreary Sunday morning cds...

Davy Spillane - 'Pipe Dreams'

61wHIkSNkcL._SX425_.jpg

William Jackson - 'Inchcolm'

518qkkSCamL._SX425_.jpg

The Old Blind Dogs - 'Gab 'O Mey'... Which contains one of my favorite Jim Malcolm songs - 'The Wisest Fool'

51l2ztm6orL._SX425_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom