Today's JAZZ playlist

Created a Charlie Parker station on Pandora after seeing a special about him on CPTV. Now that sax man had some serious skills...

And Babe Ruth was pretty good with a bat! ;) Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

Welcome aboard! And nice, on the radio station!

Nothing like coming home to a record mailer package with 5 new Jazz albums! Listening to this one now:

R-3697932-1340791064-3647.jpeg.jpg

View attachment 893960

Jimmy Hamilton
Accent on the Clarinet (Internet photo)
Jazztone J-1238 mono
Jimmy Hamilton and his Quintet: Barry Gailbraith, Clark Terry, Oscar Pettifor, Ossie Johson and Sidney Gross.

I've beaten the drum about these Jazztone releases. They are reissues of earlier recordings (in this case this LP was release a year earlier on Urania records) and sold through a "club". They are usually found in the cheapo section. A tight and tasty eight tracks with Hamilton leading a group of season pros on self penned tunes and some covers, (of course there is an Ellington connection in the band and in choice of songs). For those on the skint or just those of us looking to expand the music without paying BUCKS, these Jazztone releases can yield solid results.

That's a great record...

Created a Charlie Parker station on Pandora after seeing a special about him on CPTV. Now that sax man had some serious skills...

Hi Walle. Agreed. My only issue that I have with Bird's discography in "general" is the discography's fidelity quality overall. So many of his recordings are so low on the high fidelity threshold that it sometimes breaks my heart. As I've said here many times before, it's like somebody on a whim threw a random solo mic in the middle of the audience or a room and pressed RECORD on a home recorder. Certainly not all of them are this way, but many are.

On the flip-side, we are lucky that we have these recordings at all. Some of them may be low fidelity and poorly recorded, but at least they ARE recorded for us to enjoy.

Last edited:
Sounds like a wonderful combination to me!
It is. And in about an hour it might being happening again.
If Drew Remend-"head" is doing colour tonight I may go with some tunes while I watch.

What would be great is if somebody invented an app that let the play-by-play guy do his thing, but the second it goes to the colour guy some tunes kicked in, sort of what happens during a stoppage in play at the rink. I would honestly be happier if I had to hear all the crap music they play at the rink instead of this guy bumble his way around.

Hi Walle. Agreed. My only issue that I have with Bird's discography in "general" is the discography's fidelity quality overall. So many of his recordings are so low on the high fidelity threshold that it sometimes breaks my heart. As I've said here many times before, it's like somebody on a whim threw a random solo mic in the middle of the audience or a room and plessed play on a home recorder. Certainly not all of them are this way, but many are.

On the flip-side, we are lucky that we have these recordings at all. Some of them may be low fidelity and poorly recorded, but at least hey ARE recarded for us to enjoy.

Yes, for God's sake, we are very lucky to even have those recordings!

Man, listen to the way Tatum ends "My One and Only Love" on that. So beautiful. It always blows me away...

Yeah, his playing is absolutely bright and beautiful on this—it works really well as a foil to Ben Webster's lush and relaxed tenor playing.

Back
Top Bottom