Today's JAZZ playlist

Have you read Gioa's book "How to Listen to Jazz"?

Any suggestions on which of these two would be the better book to read first? I'm inclined to check out "How to Listen to Jazz" first, but I'd love any input anyone has.

I have read most of Gioia's books. The man definitely knows Jazz and my personal opinion is all of his books are worth reading for the Jazz Aficionado.

You may wish to visit Poppachubby's thread "Music Related Books". Many of us that love Jazz have posted our current reads there, and done mini-reviews on them.

LINK: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/music-related-books.546878/

EDIT:
I just looked back and think you were talking about the previous post, so "History of Jazz" is the book you are also considering.
Personally, I'd read "History of Jazz" first and foremost. Others may have different opinions.

Last edited:
Have you read Gioa's book "How to Listen to Jazz"?

Any suggestions on which of these two would be the better book to read first? I'm inclined to check out "How to Listen to Jazz" first, but I'd love any input anyone has.

I've read it, and found it pretty interesting as it covers the various jazz genres and their connections. Another favorite read was Nat Hentoff's "At the Jazz Band Ball".

One of my personal goals has been to re-wire (re-cap, re-coil, re-transformer) my grandfather's old AM radios, build a simple AM Transmitter (1/2 watt) and spend ONE night a week (after dark by candlelight) listening to some AM Radio Remote broadcasts form my archives. Or any oldies like early Blues, early Jazz, those marginal Bird recordings, anything like that via AM Radio. I have some simple AM Radio micro transmitter schematics and I've got all the parts. I just need the TIME to build the transmitter and fix one or both of my Grandfather's old AM radios. That would be a KICK! Talk about nostalgia!

I used to have my XM Radio permanently hooked up to a 1/2 watt FM Transmitter so I could listen to it on any of my Tuners or Receivers, but I've given up on XM Radio long ago in favor of streaming. But I'd go back to a transmitter for AM to the old nostalgic radios, for sure.
That would be way cool.

That would be way cool.

Yeah, I really have to put this in motion. Probably only take me a weekend to build the transmitter. Then another three to four days to fix ONE of my grandfather's AM radios. The old capacitors are the biggest issue. That and the transformer. I don't even know if they "Isolated" the circuit back then, so I'd up it to an isolation transformer. Then it's just cleaning, new speaker, and new cord for the dial with new dial lamps.

Those old radios were meant to make AM sound "as good as possible", and my vague memory of a 4 year old sitting on grandpa's lap listening to his AM radio makes me recall a "very good sounding radio". But with 4 year old ears that didn't know any better, anything would have probably sounded good to me back then.

Last edited:
Always have liked and respected, her records are a hard find. Must work on getting more. I do have a third ML Williams recording, but it is with Marian Mc Partland and Piano Jazz, NOT that there is anything wrong about that...I'd just forgotten about it.
I have heard that Piano Jazz with Mary Lou. I also have the Marian McPartland Plays Mary Lou Williams album, and it's good. This is some kickass solo piano if you ever come across it:

Mary-Lou.jpg

51DR0oWV2fL._SX425_.jpg

I've heard it before, but never owned it until today: Ellington at Newport. To call it a classic would be a gross understatement.

I normally go through about three albums during an average night of jazz listening. Tonight, it was just one, this one. Twice through Sonus Faber Electa speakers, then twice more with the cans on. Amazing, amazing stuff.

It's a recording of the last performance at the American Jazz Festival at Newport, July 7, 1956. Without a doubt, the highlight is the last set of the night, a 59-chorus performance of the 1937 medium-tempo blues Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue. And without a doubt, the highlight of the last set was a 27-straight chorus solo by tenor saxophonist Paul Gonsalves, a journeyman who on this one night was a super star.

The Duke's performance began around 8:30 p.m. and concluded past midnight with many of the remaining 7,000 dancing in the aisles and standing on their chairs cheering. 7,001 if you include me, tonight. The liner notes include a small photo of an unnamed blonde in a black dress who launched 7,000 cheers by dancing in one of the boxes, which would be the equivalent of someone today standing on their chair and cheering at Wimbledon.

The cheers from the audience grew more pronounced as Gonsalves started cooking. Reports from that performance indicate that security was concerned that Gonsalves' solo was going to start a riot. As he went on and on and on, security began to worry about a potential riot when Gonsalves finally ran out of gas. An electric evening, that helped put Newport on the map for more than just the jazz enthusiasts.

Duke at Newport.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom