Today's JAZZ playlist

Just wanted to say that I have been stuck on Wayne Shorter's Blue Note period for about 3 weeks now. It's fair to say that those albums represent some of the most progressive sides Blue Note pressed.
I have listened to Speak No Evil countless times and it still amazes me. I think what makes Shorter so amazing as an artist, is the balance he strikes in his music. It's as though the more cerebral the song is, the better the soul and groove.
If you haven't heard some or all of these albums... get on it!!!!!!!

Couldn't agree more, Poppa.

I've recently (past six months) made the same discovery about Wayne Shorter's mid-'60s Blue Notes. His first five albums for the label (JuJu, Night Dreamer, The All Seeing Eye, Adam's Apple, and Speak No Evil) are essential listening IMHO. That said, sometimes it helps to have context to know where he's coming from. In my case, it was another string of landmark albums that pointed the way: the first four Columbia titles from Miles Davis' second great quintet (in which Shorter was a key member/composer): E.S.P., Miles Smiles, Nefertiti, and Sorcerer. Most amazing is the fact that all this music still feels fresh (and risky) half a century after it was recorded.

This one's as good as they get...

Miles Davis Quintet
Miles Smiles

Recorded (New York) 1966
Released (Columbia LP) 1967
Remastered (Columbia CD) 1998

Miles Davis (trumpet)
Wayne Shorter (tenor saxophone)
Herbie Hancock (piano)
Ron Carter (bass)
Tony Williams (drums)

R-2192493-1303633970.jpeg.jpg

Hey Pops, good to see you.

Seaking of see, I see that Wayne Shorter is the ambassador (Artist in Residence) for the Detroit Jazz Fest this year, and that he and his group will be performing at the Fest as well. This may be the very LAST time most of us can see the man. I am going to "try" to get up there and see him, but that's a very hard time of the year for me work-wise, so it's 50/50 as to whether or not I can actually make this happen.

http://www.detroitjazzfest.com/

Well first of all, don't forget I will be in the Deltona/Orlando area April 21 - 25. As for the Jazz Fest, as long as I am not working I will meet you there for sure. I have to be honest, I am a bit uneasy about the border guards at the crossing - but I know most of that has been media hype. The bottom line is, I will come regardless. I will check my schedule today and let you know if I can do it Billy. I just had my passport renewed, so I am good to go.

Hey Pops, good to see you.

Seaking of see, I see that Wayne Shorter is the ambassador (Artist in Residence) for the Detroit Jazz Fest this year, and that he and his group will be performing at the Fest as well. This may be the very LAST time most of us can see the man. I am going to "try" to get up there and see him, but that's a very hard time of the year for me work-wise, so it's 50/50 as to whether or not I can actually make this happen.

http://www.detroitjazzfest.com/

Hey Billy, great news. I am off the entire weekend of Jazz Fest. When I say that, I am talking about Friday through to Monday, all four days off.

Let's do this.

Hey everybody!!! Happy Sunday, that greatest of days for most audiophiles and music heads. I haven't been around much and I hope all of my pals and friends are doing fine.

Just wanted to say that I have been stuck on Wayne Shorter's Blue Note period for about 3 weeks now. It's fair to say that those albums represent some of the most progressive sides Blue Note pressed.

I have listened to Speak No Evil countless times and it still amazes me. I think what makes Shorter so amazing as an artist, is the balance he strikes in his music. It's as though the more cerebral the song is, the better the soul and groove.

I should be getting a package in the mail in a few days with Speak No Evil and Monk's Genius of Modern Music vol 1... can't wait to listen to both of these on vinyl!

One more for the road. Another one I wish I was in the audience for...man, the energy these gigs seemed to have!

This is an original yellow Prestige deep groove I picked up for almost nothing a few weeks ago. It's hammered in a few spots (especially on Aggression), but I'm still amazed at the quality of tone of the pressing, and of course the actual playing...

To me, Dolphy's bass clarinet playing here is other-wordly.

Edit: Does anyone know how RVG got this high quality of sound at a live gig? Seeing his obsession with mic'ing, any ideas how he would've set up mics for a gig like this? What kind of recording equipment would've been used—I'm assuming it would've been all 10.5" reel-to-reel tape, yes?

R-4229856-1437594835-1772.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
I should be getting a package in the mail in a few days with Speak No Evil and Monk's Genius of Modern Music vol 1... can't wait to listen to both of these on vinyl!

Oh that's great my man. Nice to meet you on here. I don't stop in as much these days - how long have you been posting in this thread? In any case, I will still say welcome.

Man, I could talk about Speak No Evil all day right now. Tell you what, once you have spun it a couple times, report back and we can shoot the shit.

One more for the road. Another one I wish I was in the audience for...man, the energy these gigs seemed to have!

This is an original yellow Prestige deep groove I picked up for almost nothing a few weeks ago. It's hammered in a few spots (especially on Aggression), but I'm still amazed at the quality of tone of the pressing, and of course the actual playing...

R-4229856-1437594835-1772.jpeg.jpg

Volume 1 is even better!!! Be on the look out for it. Stellar group. I am a big Booker Little fan, he really was a brilliant and well rounded artist. The complete package.

Getting this in before scrambling off to work. This is early morning music, for sure (both ends of the day, I suspect ;) )

R-3697932-1340791064-3647.jpeg.jpg

I'm not up for music this challenging first thing in the morning lol. I am more of a Lou Donaldson with my coffee type. Between Shorter and Hill, Blue Note got way modern.

I'm not up for music this challenging first thing in the morning lol. I am more of a Lou Donaldson with my coffee type. Between Shorter and Hill, Blue Note got way modern.

Ha ha I hear you, but for some reason it gets my blood pumping and my brain activated. I work in a so-called "creative field" so being challenged by intellectually dense music is actually helpful. Now, I do have a copy of Ornette Coleman Free Jazz, but that's one I can only listen to after a few libations... :beatnik:

Thanks for the welcome!

A buddy of mine here at work was singing "My Favorite Things" & I asked him if he knew Coltrane's version. I was shocked when he said no, as he is a fan of jazz standards and American musicals. So I took it upon myself to burn him a track list that would appeal to his tastes, without getting into some of Trane's more esoteric work. Straight ahead is what the doctor ordered. I will use this in the future as an intro for Coltrane beginners.
AN HOUR OF JOHN COLTRANE:
1.) SAY IT (OVER & OVER)
2.) ALL OR NOTHING AT ALL
3.) WHAT'S NEW
4.) IT'S EASY TO REMEMBER
5.) NANCY (WITH THE LAUGHING FACE)
6.) LIKE SOMEONE IN LOVE
7.) MY ONE AND ONLY LOVE W/ J. HARTMAN
8.) LUSH LIFE W/ J. HARTMAN
9.) YOU ARE TOO BEAUTIFUL W/ J.HARTMAN
10.) IN A SENTIMENTAL MOOD
11.) SOUL EYES
12.) MY FAVORITE THINGS.

Basically just tracks from Ballads, Standards, Gentle Side, etc. Came out pretty good. I made a part 2 for myself which I will post later.

Back
Top Bottom