Today's JAZZ playlist

DKHL0qL.jpg

One of my favorites...the first Sergio Mendes album (1961, Dance Moderno, on Philips), featuring a tight Bossa-jazz combo configuration. If I recall the story, the label had wanted him to do a dance-themed album, but he ended up doing it in a jazz style, against their wishes. :D

upload_2017-3-30_10-51-35.png

I prefer the vinyl (naturally) over the CD, but it does sound good either way. This album, and especially the side-long "Wuayacañanga Suite," was inspired by Perez Prado's "Voodoo Suite," which Shorty Rogers collaborated on, with many of the same west coast jazz musicians on both.

upload_2017-3-30_12-4-58.png

This one is mono-only; lucky to have a clean LP of this one (along with two digital versions):

upload_2017-3-30_12-6-21.png

One of my favorites...the first Sergio Mendes album (1961, Dance Moderno, on Philips), featuring a tight Bossa-jazz combo configuration. If I recall the story, the label had wanted him to do a dance-themed album, but he ended up doing it in a jazz style, against their wishes. :D

View attachment 899387

Definitely putting that one on my "Want" list! :thumbsup: Thought I had all of the Sergio Mendes stuff from the '60's, I guess not! ;)

Definitely putting that one on my "Want" list! :thumbsup: Thought I had all of the Sergio Mendes stuff from the '60's, I guess not! ;)
His early recordings are a mess--a couple were released under different titles in Brazil and the US, with different track running orders. And the US albums had English song titles too, if I'm not mistaken.

Dance Moderno unfortunately is one of those suffering from the flood of unofficial releases. It was on CD in Japan a while back. But anything recent...there's no telling what sources were used to master them with. Some of those unofficial products are copies of existing CDs or worse, bad needle drops. I've heard of both. :sigh:

I scored Quiet Nights last year. I just wish it were in better condition.

upload_2017-3-30_18-59-9.png

CTI All-Stars ‎– CTI Summer Jazz At The Hollywood Bowl, Live One. LP 1977

Members:
Airto Moreira, Billy Cobham, Bob James, Esther Phillips, Eumir Deodato, Freddie Hubbard, George Benson, Grover Washington, Jr., Hank Crawford, Hubert Laws, Jack DeJohnette, Joe Farrell, Johnny Hammond, Milt Jackson, Ron Carter, Stanley Turpentine

CTI_SummerJazz_HollywoodBowl.jpg

Dankworth-Strayhorn.JPG

Roulette RE-121- a reissue 2fer
Johnny Dankworth and Billy Strayhorn
I've posted this previously and was just revisiting it. Strays is leading the Ellington Ork in a Chicago 1958, live recording. It is true, telling Ellington on the keys and Strays apart on the keys is more difficult than you'd think. It sounds like a small club date. They're playing this sweet little ditty, Mr. Gentle and Mr. Cool, and Ray Nance busts out a violin and the thing takes on a different shade of hip.

Back
Top Bottom