Today's JAZZ playlist

5187HrP6%2B7L.jpg

Eliane Elias - Plays Live

Do you remember your first jazz album that made everything click? Mine I think was Miles Davis Kind Of Blue when I was 18/19 years old

Ok, for me, the song that kind of got it all started, was something I heard while I was watching the movie, "A Separate Peace". (BTW, I know how to spell the word "separate", because I'll never forget I got that wrong on a spelling test, and Mrs. Sammis let me know forever forth, that the spelling is not "seperate"!) Anyway, we had also just read the book "A Separate Peace", and coincidentally, there was a new movie of it out that year, which came out in 1972 or '73. Well the movie starts, and not too long into it, it goes into flashback mode, with Phineas and the rest of his school mates playing lacrosse, in the sunny, colorful '40's. And the song that is playing during this scene, which I did not know at the time, is Sy Oliver's "Opus No. 1". The thing is, is that the sound wasn't of an old record or anything, but it was a modern recording of the song, completely fresh and new. Sounded like the band was right there. The song, and the concept of hearing it played that way, hit me full force.

So if you're still with me...I go home and I tell my parents about this, and I start humming the tune. They recognized it, and my mother said, "I think we have that". They had a pretty big collection of 78s and we start going through them. We found the song, put it on the record player, and there it was - "Opus No. 1" by Tommy Dorsey's orchestra - and Buddy Rich was the drummer, who takes a nice break at the end. That was the song that got me started. ("I Dream of You (More Than You Dream I Do))" was the song on the flip side, which I got to know too, because it was there.)

Last edited:
I'm still building that good system, but today arrived a cornerstone in the foundation: my Marc Morin modded AR XA :) I'm looking forward to hearing these recordings on a system that can do them justice...

Wow, let us know how you like the table! Marc is one of AK's renowned members, whose mods on the XA/XB line are supposed to be amazing. What cart are you going to put on it?

Got to hang out all-too-briefly with AK'er @davelarz this evening and pick up an embarrassment of vinyl riches: seven great Jazz records, with an eighth offered as a freebie. (Thanks Dave!)

I'm listening through them now—here's the first. My appreciation for early Art Farmer grows, and this whole lineup is pretty amazing...

R-7864277-1450447622-6419.jpeg.jpg

I noticed the drummer, Herb Lovelle, is on some of the cuts. Nice drummer...

I picked up a (fairly hammered, but still listenable) original Prestige pressing of Three Trumpets a few weeks ago—I think that's when I started to really appreciate Art Farmer.
That's what I love about getting into this music; I feel like I'm on an aesthetic—and intellectual—journey discovering these classic gems :music:

Agreed. Check out his quartet work from the 70's with the "Magic Triangle", mostly released on Asian labels. The tribute album he did for Duke is one of the best out there.

MI0000502541.jpg

Back
Top Bottom