Today's JAZZ playlist

Spent 10 days away on assignment at Monument Park Colorado. No cellphone, laptop, or instant-cyber gratification, other than my iPod, filled with great music. Respect on Memorial Day for those who gave the ultimate sacrifice...

Nice. I used to do quite a bit of Motorcycle Camping. Just me, the bike and minimal camping equipment. iPod, BlackBerry and BlueTooth Speaker were the only electronics. iPod because it can be powered and charged via 5 volt USB rather than 110 AC. I traveled with a solar battery that could charge a cell, iPod and even lanterns. I had the process nailed for packing a bike for camping. I was actually quite comfortable, and even took a cot and air matress in a 4 person tent for room. Camped all over the US for a while. I actually rode through all 49 states (minus Alaska) and moto-camped in about 40 of them. I always thought it must have been what the old pioneers did on horseback. I'm glad I did it, but these days, I more prefer a nice comfy hotel room with room service and HBO. I also enjoy 4 wheels, air conditioning and tunes in the car on the way there. :)

Regarding Memorial Day, my father (RIP) was a WWII Purple Heart so I respect the day and honor those that served. Brave men and women that have my thanks.

Sarah Morrow - Standards and Other Stories

51MV4uuyyCL._SX425_.jpg

I have to do what I can since I didn't have that personal Gene Harris connection ;).... Saw it at a record store when we were traveling this weekend and decided I had to have it. Good stuff. I will need to pick up some more Three Sounds to balance out my Gene Harris Best of the Concord Years, which I love.

I have to do what I can since I didn't have that personal Gene Harris connection ;).... Saw it at a record store when we were traveling this weekend and decided I had to have it. Good stuff. I will need to pick up some more Three Sounds to balance out my Gene Harris Best of the Concord Years, which I love.

I like the whole traveling and seeking our new music. It just enhances the experience and makes the trip memorable through music.

Nice. I used to do quite a bit of Motorcycle Camping. Just me, the bike and minimal camping equipment. iPod, BlackBerry and BlueTooth Speaker were the only electronics. iPod because it can be powered and charged via 5 volt USB rather than 110 AC. I traveled with a solar battery that could charge a cell, iPod and even lanterns. I had the process nailed for packing a bike for camping. I was actually quite comfortable, and even took a cot and air matress in a 4 person tent for room. Camped all over the US for a while. I actually rode through all 49 states (minus Alaska) and moto-camped in about 40 of them. I always thought it must have been what the old pioneers did on horseback. I'm glad I did it, but these days, I more prefer a nice comfy hotel room with room service and HBO. I also enjoy 4 wheels, air conditioning and tunes in the car on the way there. :)

Regarding Memorial Day, my father (RIP) was a WWII Purple Heart so I respect the day and honor those that served. Brave men and women that have my thanks.
I didn't know that about your dad.
Those people have my thanks, as well.

I have my great grandfather's Memorial Cross(or 'Silver' Cross) from WW1.
Almost didn't happen actually. Years ago my grandparents were moving out of their last apartment, and my parents decided to do one last look around. My grandmother was slipping into Alzheimers and confused, and my grandfather had passed away. The guy had the cross hanging on a piece of string on a hook at the back of his closet.
I put in a claim for my grandfather's WWII medals before he died, he made sure I got them, and I ended up with my great grandfather's as well. Nobody even knew they were around. He certainly never talked about them or had them out to see.

I didn't know that about your dad.
Those people have my thanks, as well.

I have my great grandfather's Memorial Cross(or 'Silver' Cross) from WW1.
Almost didn't happen actually. Years ago my grandparents were moving out of their last apartment, and my parents decided to do one last look around. My grandmother was slipping into Alzheimers and confused, and my grandfather had passed away. The guy had the cross hanging on a piece of string on a hook at the back of his closet.
I put in a claim for my grandfather's WWII medals before he died, he made sure I got them, and I ended up with my great grandfather's as well. Nobody even knew they were around. He certainly never talked about them or had them out to see.

Brave men all around, Kris. My dad was a kid (17 I think) when he got wounded. At 17, I was just getting into Jazz and buying albums, not fighting for my life in Europe. My Grandfather fought in WWI, but no medals. He did see action, but luckily was not wounded. He was under a gas attack in the trenches, but his gas mask and clothing saved him from injury - at least that's what I was told. I know my Great Grandfather also served, but not sure where and when.

Brave men all around, Kris. My dad was a kid (17 I think) when he got wounded. At 17, I was just getting into Jazz and buying albums, not fighting for my life in Europe. My Grandfather fought in WWI, but no medals. He did see action, but luckily was not wounded. He was under a gas attack in the trenches, but his gas mask and clothing saved him from injury - at least that's what I was told. I know my Great Grandfather also served, but not sure where and when.
My great grandfather was in a gas attack, but survived, at least for awhile. I think that's what eventually killed him.
Your dad was 17 during WW1, my GGF volunteered as a 40 year old! Complete ends of the spectrum.
I can't imagine signing up for that stuff as a 40-something. I guess I know where I get my nutbar gene from, lol.

My great grandfather was in a gas attack, but survived, at least for awhile. I think that's what eventually killed him.
Your dad was 17 during WW1, my GGF volunteered as a 40 year old! Complete ends of the spectrum.
I can't imagine signing up for that stuff as a 40-something. I guess I know where I get my nutbar gene from, lol.

I don't know the whole story about my Grandfather. Perhaps he did sustain some sort of long-term injury or ailment from the gas attack. I know he got a check for his service in the military (a whopping $27 a month if I recall correctly) and I can't imagine that this was for his service. Certainly my father never received anything for his service of 2 years nor his purple heart, but perhaps WWI vets were treated differently. I think my grandfather served about 2 years as well. Perhaps his small pay was for a partial disability that I was unaware of. Anyone who knows the answer to this question is unfortunately long gone. All we can do is honor them for their service at this point.

We are growing ultra-lean for WWII veterans now, Kris. There are only a handful left.

I don't know the whole story about my Grandfather. Perhaps he did sustain some sort of long-term injury or ailment from the gas attack. I know he got a check for his service in the military (a whopping $27 a month if I recall correctly) and I can't imagine that this was for his service. Certainly my father never received anything for his service of 2 years nor his purple heart, but perhaps WWI vets were treated differently. I think my grandfather served about 2 years as well. Perhaps his small pay was for a partial disability that I was unaware of. Anyone who knows the answer to this question is unfortunately long gone. All we can do is honor them for their service at this point.

We are growing ultra-lean for WWII veterans now, Kris. There are only a handful left.
This is true.

I know my grandfather got a decent cheque every month.
I also did a lot of yard work-type stuff for him over the years that the Canadian vet association(?) paid for.
Part of that was because of a lost an eye due to shrapnel in France, the other part was because he broke his leg while riding a bike in camp. That may have been his doing though, lol.

Back
Top Bottom