Today's JAZZ playlist

9srK2Kj.jpg

WOW!!! I'd would love to hear that once in my life...how does it sound on tape? (I'm a R2R newb even though I have a Revox G36 that needs restoration...)
It sounds quite good. This release is 7.5IPS. I had another copy that was stored improperly and played OK, but this is clean and plays better. The "Something Else" tape is in excellent condition..I got it many years ago new in original shrink! That G36 (736) of yours is a lovely deck, especially when recapped and loaded with Telefunken tubes. Well worth restoring, so get on it! :rockon:

R-5315679-1404320538-3457.jpeg.jpg

Bobby Hutcherson / Dialogue
1965 Blue Note
2013 Blue Note (180 gram reissue)

Bought this yesterday at the Half Price Books sale with my 40% off coupon! Decided that it would be too busy today for the 50% off sale, too many people today! Going to stick with the 40% off sale from now on, seemed like a normal Saturday crowd.

It sounds quite good. This release is 7.5IPS. I had another copy that was stored improperly and played OK, but this is clean and plays better. The "Something Else" tape is in excellent condition..I got it many years ago new in original shrink! That G36 (736) of yours is a lovely deck, especially when recapped and loaded with Telefunken tubes. Well worth restoring, so get on it! :rockon:

I wish! Unfortunately, it'll be a little while before I get to the Revox—I'm (very) slowly working through my vintage system and getting everything updated/restored. Man, this audio/vinyl obsession is expensive :D

Last edited:
I had an interesting and enlightening conversation with Fred Cohen at the Jazz Record Center on Friday. He quizzed me on whether I was familiar with Contemporary Records recording engineer Roy DuNann (I wasn't), and then asked whether I knew of other recording engineers such as Tom Dowd at Atlantic (I did). He said it was really a shame that Roy wasn't more well-known, because he felt that the sound quality of Contemporary Records were of an even higher quality (for the period) than Blue Note recordings.

This one is a 70s repress, but the sound is definitely crisp and balanced—almost modern in its presentation. And I really like Hampton Hawes here—

R-2329769-1277327840.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
I had an interesting and enlightening conversation with Fred Cohen at the Jazz Record Center on Friday. He quizzed me on whether I was familiar with Contemporary Records recording engineer Roy DuNann (I wasn't), and then asked whether I knew of other recording engineers such as Tom Dowd at Atlantic (I was). He said it was really a shame that Roy wasn't more well-known, because he felt that the sound quality of Contemporary Records were of an even higher quality (for the period) than Blue Note recordings.
Roy was the sound engineer on the fore-mentioned Coleman "Something Else" album. A very unique sound, rather pure and clear, which I like...you can tell he was particular about his microphones, their placement, and the capturing directly to tape. You have to be careful with re-issue LPs (and especially CDs) as this crispness is sometimes lost. Seek out the original releases (or tapes!) for sure!

Back
Top Bottom