Today's JAZZ playlist

Brilliant. My copy is pretty hammered, unfortunately, but I'm pretending that the ticks and pops are actually part of Mingus's eccentric plan for the rhythm section...

R-858414-1174928380.jpeg.jpg

It's strange, right? Wikipedia and All Music write that the applause was added later, but the liner notes state that "This is a "live" recording, and the first such Powell has made in a nightclub, The atmosphere of an in-person performance is well captured" (Note the quotes around the word "live", however ...).

Either way, Bud is still shining here, and Clarke and Michelot are likewise great.

I just did a little reading and it seems that yes, the applause was added! But there seems to be a discrepancy on the date. My reissue says that the session was recorded on September 15th, 1961, whereas I also just read that was recorded in December of 1961. I gotta look into it more. But what a great date. Bud is so amazing on this record. I particularly love his versions of "Ruby My Dear" and "Monk's Mood". I love the whole album!! All this caused me to take my copy out and play it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Man, I just love that opening to Cherokee on this session! Anyone know if this is done by anyone else, or just by Clifford and Max here? (I've heard Cherokee by a few other artists, and it didn't include the minor key drone-like "American-Indian"-inspired opening...)

R-1146247-1474962046-6757.jpeg.jpg

Man, I just love that opening to Cherokee on this session! Anyone know if this is done by anyone else, or just by Clifford and Max here? (I've heard Cherokee by a few other artists, and it didn't include the minor key drone-like "American-Indian"-inspired opening...)

R-1146247-1474962046-6757.jpeg.jpg

Check out Bud. This precedes the Roach/Brown recording...

Back
Top Bottom