Today's JAZZ playlist

More Clifford this evening (plus Mobley, Silver, Clarke, and of course Jay Jay Johnson...) This is a Van Gelder/Liberty mono pressing and it sounds fantastic at 1/20th the price of an original Lexington :D

R-6666909-1424259918-1641.jpeg.jpg

Edit: I forgot to post the pic, lol

Last edited:
Thanks, jgannon! Makes sense that Bud would come up with an interesting opening...

Oh yeah, that's for sure. The sound that you are referring is the effect of playing fifths - in Bud Powell's case, B flat and F together, down to A flat and E flat together, back to B flat and F together, then to D flat and A flat together.

Louis Bellson Journey into Love.jpg

Louis Bellson- Journey Into Love
MGN-1007 a 1954 release, with Willie Smith(alto), George Poole(flute), and Juan Tizol(valve trombone!)
Sounds Great?!?! HUH?! I found this gem in the clearance bin and thought, ' "Hot Stuff", Bellson and Company! on a Norgran in Hi-Fi! ' Ummmm, yeah, I've cleaned the grooves and there is still schmaltz ooooozing from the speakers. This is heavy duty make out music for the pre-Playboy playboy. Lesson learned, at least it wasn't a high ticket buy.
PC. Discogs pic cause my cover is shite and I'm too lazy after the day to clean things up.

Dinah Washington Dinah Jams.jpg

Dinah Washington - Dinah Jams
Trip TLP 5500 a 1974 reissue of Emarcy MG-36000 Dinah Jams
I have this in the Clifford Brown CD box set, but saw it in the same clearance bin and WOW, cleaned up really nice and it is just BLOWING THE DOORS OFF! I've read on how DW surprised everyone at this session by not only holding her own, be excelling. This is a "gotta" have recording, not only for DW, but because Clifford Brown, Maynard Ferguson, AND Clark Terry mix it up on the horns. This is peak mid-50s Hard Bop (at least by my puny standards). Love this album.
PS. Another Discogs cover, same excuse as above.

Harry Sweets Edison Gee Baby.jpg

Harry "Sweets" Edison
Gee Baby Ain't I good to You MGV-8211 Hi-Fi a 1957 release
This one lived up to the early Norgran release hype, another remnant bin find. I cleaned this one and sure there are some pops and clicks, but the cats helping Sweets are Ben Webster, Oscar Peterson, Ray Brown, Alvin Stoller and Barney Kessel. They are making up for all everything else, 'Nuff Said
PS. Same story about the cover pic.

Oh yeah, that's for sure. The sound that you are referring is the effect of playing fifths - in Bud Powell's case, B flat and F together, down to A flat and E flat together, back to B flat and F together, then to D flat and A flat together.

Thanks jgannon—I'm trying to understand the circle of fifths now, and been playing around with the keyboard to get a feel for the theory behind it. My daughter takes piano lessons, and I've been thinking I should take lessons as well...we'll see!

Thanks jgannon—I'm trying to understand the circle of fifths now, and been playing around with the keyboard to get a feel for the theory behind it. My daughter takes piano lessons, and I've been thinking I should take lessons as well...we'll see!

Hey, that's great Bass. If you ever really want to understand music theory, get down to Barry Harris' workshops. You're a NYC cat, so you can check those out. Whatever lessons you're taking, you'll learn how to truly understand theory. He'll tell you that in the beginning, there are chromatic scales which encompass every note. Then you divide that in two and you get your two whole tone scales. Divide the chromatic up into three, and you will get your three diminished scales. A major concept to understand is that chords come from scales. He'll show you his own scales based on 6th chords and diminished chords (sixth-diminished scales). And that's just the beginning! BTW, the fifths that Powell is playing is not the circle of fifths, but intervals of fifths. In each scale, you can create intervals. All major and minor scales have eight notes. If you take a C major scale (C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C), the root note (C) is called "perfect unison". From C to D, is a "major second". From C to E is a "major third". From C to F is a "perfect fourth". From C to G, which is what Bud Powell was playing, is a "perfect fifth". Then from C to A is a "major sixth", C to B is a "major 7th", and then C to the C above it is a "perfect octave". Bud Powell was playing perfect fifths in different keys. In this case, B flat and F, A flat and E flat, D flat and A flat.

Last edited:
Hey, that's great Bass. If you ever really want to understand music theory, get down to Barry Harris' workshops. You're a NYC cat, so you can check those out. Whatever lessons you're taking, you'll learn how to truly understand theory. He'll tell you that in the beginning, there are chromatic scales which encompass every note. Then you divide that in two and you get your two whole tone scales. Divide the chromatic up into three, and you will get your three whole tone scales.

Ok, I've got to ask, how can there be three whole tone scales? Twelve half steps, two whole tone scales of six tones each, right? C D E F# G# A#, C# D# F G A B. You meant diminished, right? ;)

Ok, I've got to ask, how can there be three whole tone scales? Twelve half steps, two whole tone scales of six tones each, right? C D E F# G# A#, C# D# F G A B. You meant diminished, right? ;)

Yes! That's what I meant! I said whole tone scales twice! I meant diminished scales! Thanks, John. I'll go back and edit that!

Back
Top Bottom