Today's JAZZ playlist

Erroll Garner - Afternoon of an Elf
Mercury
also an original 1955 mono

This is the sister album to "Solitaire" as both were taken from the same March 14, 1955 session, Solitaire being the "moody selections" (from Ralph Gleason's notes) and this album the "up tempo numbers" from the session.

image.jpeg

LMA9mB4.jpg

I hadn't remembered that this great album (which includes the spectacular "John S") is the product of a piano-less quartet. Whether comping or soloing, Jim Hall's electric guitar feels just right.

Sonny Rollins
The Bridge

Recorded (RCA Studios, New York City) 1962
Released (RCA LP) 1962
Remastered (1991) and reissued (BMG CD) 1992

Sonny Rollins (tenor saxophone)
Jim Hall (guitar)
Bob Cranshaw (bass)
Ben Riley (drums)

R-1436632-1219601165.jpeg.jpg

Erroll Garner - Afternoon of an Elf
Mercury
also an original 1955 mono

This is the sister album to "Solitaire" as both were taken from the same March 14, 1955 session, Solitaire being the "moody selections" (from Ralph Gleason's notes) and this album the "up tempo numbers" from the session.

View attachment 990655

Thanks for the info on these, DC. Over the years, I've never gotten either of these LPs, but your posts remind me that I will have to do something about that!

Thanks for the info on these, DC. Over the years, I've never gotten either of these LPs, but your posts remind me that I will have to do something about that!

I think they're worth seeking out, though I do prefer Solitaire to the latter. The sound quality isn't superb (1955, piano, etc.) but it is what it is.

Also interesting that the notes on both albums disclose that the session was recorded with Mr. Garner's left index finger in a splint due to a sprain, but my ear can't hear the handicap at all. I think part of his genius of spontaneity is also being able to adapt. As an aside, I remember hearing a radio interview some years ago about a famous violinist (I forget who) who also sprained a finger right before a big performance, so he sat in his hotel room for hours/days re-learning the entire concerto with alternate fingerings so the performance could go on. (Amazing!) I also remember hearing/reading about a session that Thelonius Monk recorded on with the piano was out of tune (due to a cheap producer, as I remember) - and one pitch in particular was super bad - so he emphasized that note again and again in his playing to get his point across. :)

I hadn't remembered that this great album (which includes the spectacular "John S") is the product of a piano-less quartet. Whether comping or soloing, Jim Hall's electric guitar feels just right.

Sonny Rollins
The Bridge

Recorded (RCA Studios, New York City) 1962
Released (RCA LP) 1962
Remastered (1991) and reissued (BMG CD) 1992

Sonny Rollins (tenor saxophone)
Jim Hall (guitar)
Bob Cranshaw (bass)
Ben Riley (drums)

R-1436632-1219601165.jpeg.jpg

Yes Max Roach had another great quintet with no piano. Classic album...

Back
Top Bottom