Today's JAZZ playlist

I find the Mosaic sets pretty high priced spread. They are done well with great notes, but they carry a price tag. Proper boxes are skint on notes, don't carry the alternate or obscure recordings that are for obsessive collectors,but at a great price. Something in the middle would be great. With all those labels under one house, what a dream job it would be listening to and choosing the tracks and records to release.

I've seen the little catalog for the Proper boxed sets and they look really good; I have one, Sidney Bechet, and it did not disappoint. As you say, though, the notes are skimpy to nonexistent.

MI0000055800.jpg

Jaki Byard - Out Front!

That reminds me that I've been meaning to listen to this again . . .

byard experience.png

4 Lessons in Jazz
AAMCO Records

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

If you happen to come across this album in your local record haunt, you can probably leave it behind with no remorse. :D

I picked it up due to the lineup on the cover (the musicians, perverts), including the Austrailian Jazz Quintet (who knew they worked right here in Detroit??). It's an interesting compilation, but nothing to lose sleep finding.

EDIT: OK, I withdraw my harsh criticism. It's not that bad, though the sound isn't great, the music is appropriately representative (I think). Once my brain was able to sort out that what I was hearing wasn't what I was expecting, I figured out the labels are on the wrong sides of the record. So side A (ALP-35) has ALP-36 in the deadwax, and vice-versa. Now that THAT is sorted, the order of the tunes on the jacket doesn't match the labels, either. Aye yi yi

So much for a lesson in Jazz...

Last edited:
4 Lessons in Jazz
AAMCO Records

View attachment 1010521

View attachment 1010522

If you happen to come across this album in your local record haunt, you can probably leave it behind with no remorse. :D

I picked it up due to the lineup on the cover (the musicians, perverts), including the Austrailian Jazz Quintet (who knew they worked right here in Detroit??). It's an interesting compilation, but nothing to lose sleep finding.

I think I would probably buy that one just for the cover.

415loE1YG1L._SY355_.jpg

Disc 2

Joe Farrell (ts-1, ss-2, fl-3), Jimmy Garrison (b), Elvin Jones (d). September 6, 1968

Lee Morgan (trumpet), Joe Farrell (ts-1,ss-2, fl-3,alto fl-4), George Coleman (ts), Wilbur Little (b), Elvin Jones (d), Candido Camero (cga), Miovelito Valles (perc). March 14, 1969

My favorite classic Jazz female singer. I love the way she sang. Big time. What a pure tone and non-pushed quality her voice had. I have a few of her albums on CD and of course in FLAC, but none on Vinyl. I have to see about correcting this. I'd love to hear her on Vinyl.

BTW, NICE SIX-EYE! :)

Those six-eye Columbia albums sound so good, Billy! Vaughan's Mercury albums also sound good! She didn't record many albums for Columbia, mostly were for Mercury records. You definitely need some of her albums on vinyl! Sarah Vaughan and Carmen McRae have such a unique way of phrasing words, their in a class all by themselves.

I was telling Gannon how great the sound quality on these albums (vinyl) sound like after all these years. Told him those Sinatra albums I listened to yesterday along with the Sarah Vaughan album are examples of that. :music:

John Coltrane-Wilbur Harden -- Countdown

John Coltrane-ts, Wilbur Harden-flhn, Tommy Flanagan-p, Doug Watkins-b, Louis Hayes-d

View attachment 1010611

I have to say that I hadn't played this one in quite a while, and had forgotten how really good it is: six interesting original compositions, all by Harden, with three of them getting two takes. The contrast between the two horns almost couldn't be sharper. Harden is really good, although I've only heard him on Coltrane and Yusef Lateef records. He typically solos first, in a relaxed, lyrical fashion -- warm, lovely, flowing lines. Then when Coltrane enters, the explosive tension and electricity is palpable. It's pretty startling.

Last edited:
Those six-eye Columbia albums sound so good, Billy! Vaughan's Mercury albums also sound good! She didn't record many albums for Columbia, mostly were for Mercury records. You definitely need some of her albums on vinyl! Sarah Vaughan and Carmen McRae have such a unique way of phrasing words, their in a class all by themselves.

I was telling Gannon how great the sound quality on these albums (vinyl) sound like after all these years. Told him those Sinatra albums I listened to yesterday along with the Sarah Vaughan album are examples of that. :music:

Agreed indeed. I still get excited every time I find a nice Six-Eye. For all the reasons you just said!

Back
Top Bottom