Today's JAZZ playlist

I have to say this is an album I'm not familiar with. Thoughts would be appreciated. Fan of Blue.

If you like Blue Mitchell in general, I would think you would like this one. It's from 1966 apparently, and according to the notes, by this time he and Junior Cook had been playing together for 8 years including the time in Horace Silver's band, and they're clearly comfortable together. They're both, to me, reliable, effective horns and complement each other well.

Mitchell has a nice bright tone and plays sharp, concise lines -- economical, but effective statements. I usually enjoy Cook; he has a full, bluesy, rough and ready tone, although there can be moments when he can seem somewhat uninspired -- I don't mean just on this record, but just generally when I've heard him. But that's a minor quibble overall. Neither of these guys are ones to go for dazzling displays of technique -- they seem to aim more for measured, thoughtful, well-proportioned solos. Harold Mabern also comes across quite well; he's really enjoyable. Interesting material, including two Mitchell originals and two good Jimmy Heath compositions. To me, it's a solid if unspectacular album; the kind of thing we've all heard before from Blue Note, but still sounds good one more time. ;)

619XG-uJ4UL._SS500.jpg

Gene Ammons & Dodo Marmarosa - Jug & Dodo

Back
Top Bottom