Today's JAZZ playlist

MI0000644870.jpg

John Hicks - On The Wings Of An Eagle

R-6375373-1417700693-2764.jpeg.jpg

There were a couple of trumpet players whose individual styles I wanted to hear more, so I picked this one up. It's really a double reissue of two separate Savoy LP's, one entitled "Trumpets All Out" and the other "Top Brass". Both LPs are arranged by Ernie Wilkins. The first LP features Charlie Shavers, Harold "Shorty" Baker, Emmett Berry, Ernie Royal, and Art Farmer. The second is with Ernie Royal again, but he is joined here by Joe Wilder, Idrees Suliemann, Ray Copeland, and Donald Bryd.

The rhythm section on "Trumpets All Out" is Don Abney - p, Wendell Marshall - b, and Bobby Donaldson - dr. For "Top Brass" its Hank Jones - p, Wendell Marshall - b, and Kenny Clarke - dr

Here are the original LP covers:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Philips seemed to had a slightly higher quality of vinyl. That's all I can throw in to account for the difference.
Yeah.

I don't have any experience with old Phillips jazz on vinyl, but I have plenty of Phillips classical. Straight up vinyl goodness on pretty much every one. It surprises me whenever one of those "best classical vinyl labels" threads pop up, and all the usual suspects like RCA LS, Mercury LP, DG, etc get raved about, but Phillips not so much.
Maybe I've just been lucky. Or maybe those plants that pressed Phillips albums back in the day had off the charts quality control.

Yeah.

I don't have any experience with old Phillips jazz on vinyl, but I have plenty of Phillips classical. Straight up vinyl goodness on pretty much every one. It surprises me whenever one of those "best classical vinyl labels" threads pop up, and all the usual suspects like RCA LS, Mercury LP, DG, etc get raved about, but Phillips not so much.
Maybe I've just been lucky. Or maybe those plants that pressed Phillips albums back in the day had off the charts quality control.

No, it's not just that you've been lucky -- of the old Philips classical LPs I have, most are excellent.

Back
Top Bottom