Today's JAZZ playlist

v0h8777.jpg

I acknowledged our differences. It's just that this topic has been brought up a number of times and I thought I would represent the other side.

Devil's advocate, I get it. I'm not keen on the string thing. They seem to get in the way of the work. NOW, Orchestral Jazz is a whole different thing. BTW: Chocolate is the only real flavor for ice cream. All others are pretenders.

Devil's advocate, I get it. I'm not keen on the string thing. They seem to get in the way of the work. NOW, Orchestral Jazz is a whole different thing. BTW: Chocolate is the only real flavor for ice cream. All others are pretenders.

I hate to keep contradicting you, but I wasn't talking about it to play devil's advocate either. I've just seen the "not into strings" comment dropped a number of times, not only on this thread. And in the absence of a pro-strings viewpoint, I thought I would weigh in.

May everyone enjoy their chocolate and vanilla, and their music with or without strings!

I hate to keep contradicting you, but I wasn't talking about it to play devil's advocate either. I've just seen the "not into strings" comment dropped a number of times, not only on this thread. And in the absence of a pro-strings viewpoint, I thought I would weigh in.

May everyone enjoy their chocolate and vanilla, and their music with or without strings!
Where I come from the best way is to just get them together.
Don't recall any jazz, with or without strings, being involved though.:)

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaura...-Merla_Mae_Ice_Cream-Thunder_Bay_Ontario.html

On the with Strings thing, seems like you guys about covered it. Just adding my perspective. In many but not all applications the strings seem too heavy handed and forward in the arrangements. Almost jarring to me and detracting from what I am trying to focus on. I often have a similar reaction to larger horn section orchestras. My preference, I repeat my preference is for something more understated, solo or just a couple guys playing off each other than in the en mass sound I often get from strings. I can completely appreciate why someone might have the polar opposite of an opinion on the topic, but it’s simply not the direction my tastes run in. The spacing and interplay doesn’t represent as well to me and that’s a driver for my enjoyment of jazz.

With that said a couple of the LPs I played recently went against that general statement. As mentioned Stitt with Strings and that Colman Hawkins both had strings throughout but in didn’t overwhelm the primary players and distract me from what they were doing. I suppose like everything else in music there are good and bad ways of doing things. In my experience it has seemed like more often than not I could do without the strings and be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom