Today's JAZZ playlist

Where I come from the best way is to just get them together.
Don't recall any jazz, with or without strings, being involved though.:)

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaura...-Merla_Mae_Ice_Cream-Thunder_Bay_Ontario.html

Here's my jazz and ice cream story. A good 30 years back, I went up to Boston to visit a friend, and the first thing we did was find out if there was anyone playing there. We found that pianist Sir Charles Thompson was playing in this hotel. But he wasn't in any kind of a lounge or restaurant. He was socked downstairs in, as I remember it, an ice cream parlor. It might have been a place to get lunch, I don't exactly remember. But the place was so brightly lit, with white tile floors, silver type chairs, and tables - exactly the way you would picture an ice cream parlor. The place was so sterile. It was the last place you would think you would find a jazz pianist playing. And it was like 4 o'clock in the afternoon. There was some out-of-town family down there, the parents and a couple of very young kids, table full of dishes with the remnants of some ice cream sundaes. And poor Sir Charles is sitting there playing to this one family who isn't even listening. Well we come down, and we started to talk with him a little. We let him know we knew who he was. He only played a few more tunes, but I remember him saying during one, "You see, Jacquet can't play that one softly." LOL

EDIT: 30 years is a long time. I'm pretty sure that's what he said. It was definitely something like that.

DOUBLE EDIT: Just a little background... Sir Charles Thompson and Illinois Jacquet played together in a small group back in the 1940s. It was at this time that Thompson composed Robbin's Nest, I believe. He composed another line on it called "Riffin' At 24th Street". Anyway it was interesting to hear Thompson kind of give Jacquet little shot. One can only wonder at the story behind it.

Last edited:
lecuonacubanboys_salsacubana.jpg

Lecuona Cuban Boys: Salsa Cubana

Cool...

If you ever want to post some things on the "Today's Latin Jazz and Salsa Playlist", here it is. We need more people over there!

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/todays-latin-jazz-salsa-playlist.435497/

Of course, it's ok just to post here!

Last edited:
On the with Strings thing, seems like you guys about covered it. Just adding my perspective. In many but not all applications the strings seem too heavy handed and forward in the arrangements. Almost jarring to me and detracting from what I am trying to focus on. I often have a similar reaction to larger horn section orchestras. My preference, I repeat my preference is for something more understated, solo or just a couple guys playing off each other than in the en mass sound I often get from strings. I can completely appreciate why someone might have the polar opposite of an opinion on the topic, but it’s simply not the direction my tastes run in. The spacing and interplay doesn’t represent as well to me and that’s a driver for my enjoyment of jazz.

With that said a couple of the LPs I played recently went against that general statement. As mentioned Stitt with Strings and that Colman Hawkins both had strings throughout but in didn’t overwhelm the primary players and distract me from what they were doing. I suppose like everything else in music there are good and bad ways of doing things. In my experience it has seemed like more often than not I could do without the strings and be just fine.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I know what you're saying with this. Would I listen to the string arrangements on some of those recordings without the soloist. In many cases, no. But with the soloists I mentioned, the whole WORKS. At least for me. Taking into consideration what you are saying here FW, if you haven't heard the Clifford Brown with Strings album, make that your business. I'm thinking you've probably heard that, by looking at all the great stuff you post. On that LP, Neal Hefti is pretty hip. Also check out the Milt Jackson with Strings album he did for Pablo. Jimmy Jones, the great pianist, arranged that for him. Much more streamlined. And here you have a great jazz musician doing the arrangements. Milt Jackson also did another earlier album with strings arranged by Quincy Jones for Atlantic. I always loved Barry Harris' string arrangements that I heard at his concerts. You name any singer you can think of, and Barry would have written stuff for them that would have been unbelievable.

Last edited:
I've got a question for all the Las Vegas guys and gals. I'm here on vacation with the family and I've got some extra cash for some records. The problem is there are so many stores to hit. Any Recommendations? I'll have a few hours each day this week to find some new treasures. TIA and Happy ThanksGiving to all.

R-1134052-1255158313.jpeg.jpg
Are y'all waiting for that ticker to reach 99,999?
I'll move it along with the album that got me going with jazz; John Coltrane - Blue Train.
I'm going to throw a CDR of my Mofi copy into my truck player while running some errands.

Last edited:
Are y'all waiting for that ticker to reach 99,999?
I'll move it along with the album that got me going with jazz; John Coltrane - Blue Train.
I'm going to throw a CDR of my Mofi copy into my truck player while running some errands.

It's great that post 100,000 is Blue Train, but no photo yet? If I may, here's a photo of my copy, originally bought in the mid 80s when I was a young, hopeful tenor saxophonist in awe of what I was hearing.

3XWIcCb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom