Today's JAZZ playlist

R-5250721-1434978334-7344.jpeg.jpg

Ok, now you talked ME into it!!

I have the reissue you have, and this is what my cover looks like.
All this Hawk talk made ME pull out some for my commute.
I grabbed my two-fer CD of Alive At The Village Gate & Hawkins! Eldridge! Hodges! Alive At The Village Gate!

All this Hawk talk made ME pull out some for my commute.
I grabbed my two-fer CD of Alive At The Village Gate & Hawkins! Eldridge! Hodges! Alive At The Village Gate!

Oh yeah, the Hawkins, Eldridge, Hodges LP is great! I love Roy's solo on "Perdido". The climax on that is unbelievable. BTW, Eddie Locke told me that that was recorded during the gig that the Coleman Hawkins Quartet had at the Gate. The "Alive At The Gate" LP was recorded during the same engagement. Hodges and Eldridge came in specially to record the record, for just one night (I believe it was one night only). Also, Eddie told me that he was playing on Frankie Dunlop's drums, in that Thelonious Monk's Quartet was playing opposite them. Can you imagine going out to a club to hear all that? Also, I don't know if it was during this engagement, but Eddie also told me that there would be a comedian on the bill sometimes, and he said there were times Bill Cosby or Flip Wilson was the comedian.

Oh yeah, the Hawkins, Eldridge, Hodges LP is great! I love Roy's solo on "Perdido". The climax on that is unbelievable. BTW, Eddie Locke told me that that was recorded during the gig that the Coleman Hawkins Quartet had at the Gate. The "Alive At The Gate" LP was recorded during the same engagement. Hodges and Eldridge came in specially to record the record, for just one night (I believe it was one night only). Also, Eddie told me that he was playing on Frankie Dunlop's drums, in that Thelonious Monk's Quartet was playing opposite them. Can you imagine going out to a club to hear all that? Also, I don't know if it was during this engagement, but Eddie also told me that there would be a comedian on the bill sometimes, and he said there were times Bill Cosby or Flip Wilson was the comedian.
That's some cool info!

I can't fathom what it would be like to be at that joint on a night like that.
The music world is such a weird thing. Back in the late 60s, or more likely the early 70s, my dad saw guys like Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker at this joint. Cover free as long as you bought a drink. What the hell?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_Tavern

I think I've only been to one music gig where there was a comedian as the opener. I'm not 100% sure, but I wanna say it was Jeff Beck. Or maybe Bo Diddley? Either way, it was just odd. It was like sitting down at a fancy restaurant and being offered a complimentary serving of cotton candy before the meal came.

That's some cool info!

I can't fathom what it would be like to be at that joint on a night like that.
The music world is such a weird thing. Back in the late 60s, or more likely the early 70s, my dad saw guys like Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker at this joint. Cover free as long as you bought a drink. What the hell?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_Tavern

I think I've only been to one music gig where there was a comedian as the opener. I'm not 100% sure, but I wanna say it was Jeff Beck. Or maybe Bo Diddley? Either way, it was just odd. It was like sitting down at a fancy restaurant and being offered a complimentary serving of cotton candy before the meal came.

Yeah, the world has gotten a little more cost-prohibitive since then. You get clipped wherever you go, even if the music is really worth seeing. At least most of the times. The clubs are so clinical now, also. Used to be a lot more relaxed.

Yeah, the world has gotten a little more cost-prohibitive since then. You get clipped wherever you go, even if the music is really worth seeing. At least most of the times. The clubs are so clinical now, also. Used to be a lot more relaxed.
Yeah, so true.

I haven't been there for awhile, but there's a blues club here that is still old school.
Back in the late 90s and well into the 2000s the cover was usually about $3. And the music was almost always really good. I recall hearing that it was the last Canuck blues club that regularly booked bands to do full week runs.

Blackbirds of 1928.JPG

Lew Leslie's Blackbirds of 1928 Columbia OL 6770 Mono
a recreation of the Broadway show that uses songs by Duke Ellington, Cab Calloway, The Mills Brothers, Don Redman, AND Ethel Waters. Hits from this included, I Can't Give You Anything But Love, Doin' the New Low Down, Diga Diga Do, St. Louis Blues...Plucked form 78 rpm recordings of the songs, none no later than 1933, gives you the flavor of the show. including Bill Robinson's tap dancing on a reprise of Doin' the New Low Down. Diga Diga Do!!

Back
Top Bottom