J.C. Moses
Piano –
Cedar Walton
Tenor Saxophone –
Clifford Jordan

Man, what a great album...

R-4128310-1356242068-6873.png.jpg
R-4128310-1467859243-1644.jpeg.jpg

I dig this album to bits! Just a great record.

Eric

Absolutely! It's really an amazing album. While I haven't heard all of Joe Henderson's recordings, I have Page One, In 'n' Out, and Mode for Joe and as well. And while they are all tremendously important recordings, McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones bring a certain magic to this date, and Henderson is just on fire—original, probing and tense. It's my favorite Henderson recording to date, though I think his brilliance may even reveal greater discoveries...

John Coltrane - Live In Japan (Disc 1)

index.php

Source: HP dc7600 Small Form Factor PC
Player: Winamp 2.95 with 250+ band Equalizer v1.62 for Winamp by Nevi
DAC: AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2
Preamplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. PT5
Amplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. ST125.2
Speakers: KLH 9154

Andrew Hill—Point of Departure

An incredible, incredible lineup. Something about Dolphy's bass clarinet playing gets me every time.

(Tip: start with side two...)

Alto Saxophone, Flute, Bass Clarinet – Eric Dolphy
Bass – Richard Davis
Drums – Anthony Williams
Piano – Andrew Hill
Tenor Saxophone – Joe Henderson
Trumpet – Kenny Dorham

R-2108087-1327360965.jpeg.jpg

R-2108087-1397552114-8237.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Andrew Hill—Point of Departure

An incredible, incredible lineup. Something about Dolphy's bass clarinet playing gets me every time.

(Tip: start with side two...)

Alto Saxophone, Flute, Bass Clarinet – Eric Dolphy
Bass – Richard Davis
Drums – Anthony Williams
Piano – Andrew Hill
Tenor Saxophone – Joe Henderson
Trumpet – Kenny Dorham

R-2108087-1327360965.jpeg.jpg

R-2108087-1397552114-8237.jpeg.jpg

I only recently got that one myself, so I've only heard it once, but it is indeed very good. The CD has a three alternate takes and was only $3! I won't complain about that . . .

Pharoah Sanders—Jewels of Thought

With this, I can sense that Pharoah really was Coltrane's standard-bearer for so-called Spiritual Jazz—this is beautiful, hypnotic, revelatory. It has "heart", if you get what I mean...

(an aside: I watched the Netflix documentary Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution last night (highly recommended), and I can't help but see all of this mid-to-late 60s Jazz as attempting to connect with and mirror that radically transforming period in American history.)

Bass, Percussion – Cecil McBee
Drums, Percussion – Idris Muhammad
Piano, African Flute, African Thumb Piano, Percussion – Lonnie Liston Smith
Tenor Saxophone, Contrabass Clarinet, Reed Flute, African Thumb Piano, Chimes, Percussion – Pharoah Sanders
Vocals, Percussion – Leon Thomas

R-6067023-1447764114-7050.jpeg.jpg

R-6067023-1447764141-4027.jpeg.jpg

I came across a copy of that in a thrift store many years ago for a buck -- I'm not sure I'll ever be able to fully appreciate the vocals, but there's enough other stuff on there that I do enjoy to give it a spin from time to time!

Funny, I actually love Leon Thomas' vocals on this and Karma. If I can take myself into a space where the normal expectations of vocalizing are allowed to be put on hold, Thomas's "soulful yodeling" washes over me and becomes just one aspect of the hypnotic cacophony (which I would guess is Pharoah Sanders' intent?)

Back
Top Bottom