Today's JAZZ playlist

Ben Williams - State Of Art -

BWSOA.png

Tidal 24/96

Part-Time Eric

Phineas Newborn Here is Phineas.JPG

Another recent acquisition. Here is Phineas- Phineas Newborn Jr. I had not owned any PN Jr, previously. I had his name in the back of my head and so I took a dip, WOW. Cat can play. I had notion that he cracked up and after some Internet look up, I confirmed he couldn't take the rejection of his playing. Really tough story. A missed artist.

Gil Evans Jimi Hendrix.JPG

I know Jimi ain't Jazz, but Gil Evans sure as heck is.... I'd seen this LP years ago when I was working in the records biz and it struck me odd. I repatriated this copy and on the first listen it is freaking brilliant Jazz-Rock-Fusion to 11!. In my "purist" youth, I'd have let it slip through my hands as it wasn't "authentic" jazz. Only cats I see in the ork lineup I know are Lew Soloff and David Sanborn (!!). The 70s were a great time in the record biz, anything went and this went strong and long. Loving it.

That's a great one for when you're in the mood for some Ella that isn't swingin'.
Features the great, under appreciated Paul Smith on piano, too. Not enough of him out there, IMO.

Search out Paul Smith on the Oustanding Records label. His stuff COOKS! He is often overlooked as not being Jazzy enough, he even said, '....I couldn't be a Jazz pianist, it would take too much time' [paraphrasing from memory]. I've made a point of looking for his stuff every time I hit a store. You'd be surprised, they are cheap and available. At least, that has been my experience.

Search out Paul Smith on the Oustanding Records label. His stuff COOKS! He is often overlooked as not being Jazzy enough, he even said, '....I couldn't be a Jazz pianist, it would take too much time' [paraphrasing from memory]. I've made a point of looking for his stuff every time I hit a store. You'd be surprised, they are cheap and available. At least, that has been my experience.
I'd believe it. He's one of those guys who really flies under the radar.

View attachment 1087203

Another recent acquisition. Here is Phineas- Phineas Newborn Jr. I had not owned any PN Jr, previously. I had his name in the back of my head and so I took a dip, WOW. Cat can play. I had notion that he cracked up and after some Internet look up, I confirmed he couldn't take the rejection of his playing. Really tough story. A missed artist.
Oh man, Newborn is the friggen' business!
If one were to make an argument for the most underrated jazz pianist ever, he'd be right in the mix if you ask me. Of course he's been hyped as being way underrated for so long that you could argue that he isn't anymore, lol!

I think I've got close to twenty of his releases.

Oh man, Newborn is the friggen' business!
If one were to make an argument for the most underrated jazz pianist ever, he'd be right in the mix if you ask me. Of course he's been hyped as being way underrated for so long that you could argue that he isn't anymore, lol!

I think I've got close to twenty of his releases.

His demise was one of the reasons http://jazzfoundation.org/ got started.

Eric

Bing was a Superstar, before the term was coined. I listened to a BBC documentary about how Bing was the KING of Radio. He was a difficult man in personal life, but in professional circles, he excelled. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09jvgph . His Kraft Music Hall was the thing. Even in the thirties my mom was hooked, she told me she'd run home after school to catch his show. His singing, a bit dated for me, was the sound of the first half of the 20th century. Frank, OTH, was alternately cool beyond belief and a bore. Hard to accomplish, but he did it. But, MAN, did he swing. With Basie's band behind him, the Sands was the place. I've listed to that album hundreds of times, it never ceases to bring joy to the house.

Linda Ronstadt did a little show on Sinatra for XM/Sirus. She said Frank did his homework before every recording session. He wanted to get each song on first take to keep it fresh.
Never was a fan. Must be all the jukebox exposure in youth. Today I respect him for his talent.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom