Today's JAZZ playlist

I don't know of any "good" rats, in NYC!! Lol No, I haven't heard of them!

Any Thelonious Monk sounds good to me. I think I'll fire away on something online before the day is through, myself. I'll look for you later, for sure.

HA! Yes, I too have never heard of a GOOD rat in NYC. BIG rats, but not GOOD rats.

"The Good Rats" were a Rock Band from Long Island (I confirmed the location) that were popular when I was in College. We had quite a few students from Long Island in my dorm block and they played "The Good Rats" often in their dorm rooms, and as fate would have it, "The Good Rats" played our college Gymnasium. Their most popular song was probably "Tasty". Can't post a link here in the Jazz thread, but you can find it on Youtube if interested.

ccYB8no.png

Gil Scott-Heron, This sits squarely in at least 3 categories. I enjoy 70’s soul of this sort and only know of it via the movie Roman J Israel Esq. which I recently viewed on an overnight flight to Hong Kong. I found 5 or more tracks I would add to my playlist.

image.jpg .

From the less respectable novelty band extremes of hot (definitely not cool) jazz....

"The Firehouse Five Plus Two Goes to a Fire"
Good Time Jazz S10052
(12" stereo LP record)
Released 1964

Ward Kimbal, trombone
Danny Alguire, cornet
George Probert, soprano saxophone
Frank Thomas, piano
Dick Roberts, banjo
Don Kinch, tuba
Eddie Forrest, drums

The 12 tracks include: "Fire (Turn the Hose on Me)," "Flamin Mamie," "Smokey Mokes," "Fireman, Save My Child," "A Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight," "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire," "Oh, Sister, Ain't That Hot?," and "Firehouse Stomp."

From the less respectable novelty band extremes of hot (definitely not cool) jazz....

"The Firehouse Five Plus Two Goes to a Fire"
Good Time Jazz S10052
(12" stereo LP record)
Released 1964

Ward Kimbal, trombone
Danny Alguire, cornet
George Probert, soprano saxophone
Frank Thomas, piano
Dick Roberts, banjo
Don Kinch, tuba
Eddie Forrest, drums

The 12 tracks include: "Fire (Turn the Hose on Me)," "Flamin Mamie," "Smokey Mokes," "Fireman, Save My Child," "A Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight," "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire," "Oh, Sister, Ain't That Hot?," and "Firehouse Stomp."

Saw them on a video of "The Mickey Mouse Club". They and The Mouseketeers were great!

OK gents. Just got back from Record Store Day. All participating stores had 20 percent discount on USED vinyl, and they were pre-graded. Some real gems for $5 each.

I walked away with about 40 albums. I stopped at my 3rd store. I had one more store to go, but I also have 10 albums coming via mail and I'm already feeling piggish.

Here they are. It's going to take me a while to spin all these. Got all of them for under $150 out the door. The key was to find value. What albums could I find for $3-$6 that I wanted. Found quite a few as it turns out.

Almost filled an entire record box in my trunk;
IMG_20180421_151950.jpg

The selections;
IMG_20180421_152523.jpg

IMG_20180421_152324.jpg

IMG_20180421_152709.jpg

OK gents. Just got back from Record Store Day. All participating stores had 20 percent discount on USED vinyl, and they were pre-graded. Some real gems for $5 each.

I walked away with about 40 albums. I stopped at my 3rd store. I had one more store to go, but I also have 10 albums coming via mail and I'm already feeling piggish.

Here they are. It's going to take me a while to spin all these. Got all of them for under $150 out the door. The key was to find value. What albums could I find for $3-$6 that I wanted. Found quite a few as it turns out.

Almost filled an entire record box in my trunk;
IMG_20180421_151950.jpg

The selections;
IMG_20180421_152523.jpg

IMG_20180421_152324.jpg

IMG_20180421_152709.jpg

REALLY nice pick-ups!!

Back
Top Bottom