Today's JAZZ playlist

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by savv, Jan 28, 2006.

1. BillyBatts

BillyBatts ALOHA! Subscriber

Jacket condition doesn't always concern me Johnny. I've found many well-loved covers that had pristine vinyl inside. Of course, there are always exceptions. You have to be diligent.

I stopped in to a Record Store during Record Store Day and the owner had graded ALL the used vinyl by putting a little note on the price sticker, like, "Plays great", or "Some surface noise but not bad" and one I bought, "Visible Scratches but PLAYS GREAT!" He was right. It played GREAT. :)

Beau Geste, Kingpin5, jgannon and 4 others like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. johnebravo

johnebravo I should be practicing

Yes, an old, old favorite of mine -- definitely among the first twenty or so jazz albums I bought in the 70s. Tyner is great on it, and Stitt is in terrific form. I've heard Just Knock On My Door a million times, and Stitt's coda still floors me when I hear it every time. Blakey's easy-going but still driving swing is amazing. I don't know if I ever noticed before -- or if I had, I'd forgotten -- that Cafe and Just Knock On My Door are Blakey originals; I don't think I've ever seen those recorded again on any other albums, but it's a shame because they're both wonderful tunes.

Beau Geste, Kingpin5, jgannon and 2 others like this.
  3. BillyBatts

I don't either. And you're the master of connecting musicians with their respective discographies. I did a quick Google Search with Wiki and Discogs and nothing stood out.

Beau Geste and arclight73 like this.
  4. BillyBatts

Great idea.

5. fuzzywobbles

fuzzywobbles Easily amused Subscriber

You read my mind. Was thinking which side? Think I settled on the logo, so iconic.

6. RhythmGJ

RhythmGJ AK Subscriber Subscriber

The worst is the opposite. Lots of decent covers with butchered LP's inside. I recently caught a dude trying to sell some desirable stuff (Dizzy, Johnny Griffin, Jimmy Smith) in nice jackets with $22 price stickers; I broke his taped seal (because I'm not paying $22 for used vinyl with no warranty that I'm not allowed to inspect)-- $5 records inside at best...

GJ

Beau Geste, Kingpin5, jgannon and 3 others like this.

7. RhythmGJ

8. BLAH BLAH

BLAH BLAH AK Subscriber Subscriber

9. BillyBatts

Good point.

Beau Geste, Kingpin5 and RhythmGJ like this.
  10. BillyBatts

Might be my last one for tonight. Suffering back pain and can't figure out where it came from, unless I overdid it in the gym today. I sometimes pull a back muscle on the weights and don't realize it until late in the day when it starts to act up. So I may have to take some muscle relaxers and hit the hay.

Jimmy Cobb - Jazz in the Key of Blue

[​IMG]

E.Auer, Beau Geste, Kingpin5 and 4 others like this.
  11. jgannon

jgannon AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well, I can't think of anything else where this player recorded! I just checked and I couldn't find anything on him. I wonder if I have anything else with him on it. I've had that record for years, and when I read your line-up, I realized that I didn't really know him. There were many musicians like that though. These guys knew musicians in every town and city. And some of them weren't recorded much or didn't get out of their local town, things like that. I remember Eddie Locke telling me about guys like Abe Woodley who was supposed to be a great pianist and vibes player who never left Detroit, etc.

Kingpin5 and BillyBatts like this.

12. flyz51

flyz51 dipolar since 1990

[​IMG]

Count Basie - Sixteen Men Swinging

Finally opened the shrink wrap on this beauty I found recently for very few $. The initial spin proves both that the title is no lie...and that I got very lucky when this stuck to my fingers when flipping through the albums in the bin.

E.Auer, Beau Geste, Kingpin5 and 6 others like this.
  13. DC

DC "Manhattan Boy" Subscriber

Feel like I’m “living” in my car lately...

6F0E9A00-D956-49B6-8463-86648D86AF09.jpeg

E.Auer, Beau Geste, Kingpin5 and 5 others like this.
  14. fuzzywobbles

25D25835-9BCE-4FCF-81FE-BF6C03FE0BCC.jpeg

Edit: Grrr, wasn’t the version I thought it was. Is now:

Blues, Jazz?! Someone needs to explain that line in the shifting sand to me. All I know is it’s fantastic.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    E.Auer, Beau Geste, Kingpin5 and 3 others like this.
  15. BillyBatts

I think you hit that nail on the head JG. There was so much networking going on, where a musician said, "Hey, I know a guy in St. Louis that plays a mean Bass, lemme give him a call."

IMO, this is one of the treasures of Jazz. The rabbit holes are so deep. It never gets old researching artists, albums, etc. Love it.

16. BillyBatts

Join the club. My Sirius XM Radio has been getting a workout.... well, the "Real Jazz" channel on Sirius XM has been getting a workout.

That looks like a Chevy/GM Dash. Am I correct?

Beau Geste and Kingpin5 like this.

17. RhythmGJ

I gripped that last year at an estate sale. $1 I think! A very worthy addition to the Basie collection.

Now Playing: Sonny Rollins, "...plus 4"

image.jpg

GJ

E.Auer, Beau Geste, Kingpin5 and 4 others like this.
  18. fuzzywobbles

19. BillyBatts

20. fuzzywobbles

Found this CD sealed, a few weeks ago. Shortly before that ran into an original press vinyl copy of one of his LPs at an antique mall. Really wish I woulda snagged that when I saw it. Plan to circle back and see if it’s still in the wild this weekend. I absolutely love the CD and need more by Hot Lips.

Edit: a couple unexpected first press Mike Bloomfield LPs came between me and it at the time.

Beau Geste and Kingpin5 like this.