FOREST FLOWER
At Monterey
Charles Lloyd - tenor saxophone, flute
Keith Jarrett - piano
Cecil McBee - bass
Jack DeJohnette - drums

Atlantic

Art Blakey -- Thermo

Art Blakey, Freddie Hubbard, Curtis Fuller, Wayne Shorter, Cedar Walton, Reggie Workman

View attachment 1191808

Odd two-fer reissue: all of Ugetsu on one record, with portions of Caravan and Kyoto on the other, and a previously unissued take of Thermo.

Yeah, a lot of those double LPs did that where they reissued material from a number of LPs instead of reissuing the LP's in their entirety. That particular series that you have with Blakey did that quite frequently. But every now and then they may have put out an entire LP as part of the two-fer.

Late Night Jazz on Apple Music

Bedtime mellow

PLAYLIST

From Apple Music;
Some jazz just sounds better in the wee small hours of the morning. These classic and contemporary jazz cuts feature legends like Miles, Mulligan and Sinatra hobnobbing with contemporary masters like Dianne Reeves to create a luxurious, sultry soundtrack for whatever your late night entails.

Philips Recorded July, 15 1973 at Rosenberg Studio, Copenhagen, Denmark

Tracklist: A1 Another Hairdo (Charlie Parker) A2 Mode For Jay Mac (William Gault) 3:50 A3 Love Choral (Lee Konitz) 13:37 B1 Fanfare (Konitz) 21:13 B2 Du (Rain) (Gary Bartz) 27:23 B3 Hymn (Konitz) 30:58 B4 Telieledu Rama (Tyagaraja, Mariano) 34:09

Gary Bartz, Lee Konitz, Jackie McLean, Charlie Mariano (as) Joachim Kühn (p) Palle Danielsson (b) Han Bennink (dr)

I think one guy a lot of people are asleep on is Buddy Tate. I just found this clip of him playing "Jumping At The Woodside". I used to see him all the time at Sweet Basil's in NYC. That joint would be JUMPIN'!! Especially when he played this tune, which he did all the time.

Illinois Jacquet and Arnett Cobb riff behind him on this, and Frankie Dunlop is on drums. Unfortunately, the clip gets cut off in the middle of Tate's solo. Buddy Tate was one of the greatest of them all.

Back
Top Bottom