Today's JAZZ playlist

More work today with the Xaphoon (the pocket Sax). I'm repeatedly amazed at how easy it is to play and how big the sound is for such a little instrument.

I ordered a synthetic reed from Amazon and it's amazing. The Xaphoon takes a TENOR Sax Reed and I like the 1.5 stiffness. Back when I dabbled in Alto Sax, there were no synthetic reeds. It's nice having a reed that needs no soaking, withstands a lot of abuse, won't split, chip, splinter or tear, and lasts an extremely long time. It's so nice just being able to grab the instrument and immediately PLAY without having to fuss with the reed.

Early synthetic reeds were just plastic, but the new ones are aerospace composite compounds and perform at very high levels without fail. Unlike cane (wood) reeds, they have no bell curve of sweet play. They sound great from the moment you start blowing to the time when they finally need to be replaced. No issues with changes in humidity and/or barometric pressure. To clean them you just rinse them under hot water, and they are good as new. You can't do that with cane. Technology can be a wonderful thing. Yes, they cost 10 times as much as cane reeds, but they last 10 times as long with no hiccups or other issues like break in and bell curve sweetness. Plus you have no "duds". Goofing with cane reeds was the biggest bugaboo I had with playing Sax.

This one's for @jgannon - Sinatra's "My Way" on the Xaphoon. A big warehouse is perfect for natural reverb. I guess that's why most of us play in the bathroom. :)

Last edited:

Track listing: "I Will Say Goodbye" (Legrand) – 3:30 "Dolphin Dance" (Herbie Hancock) – 6:04 "Seascape" (Johnny Mandel) – 5:23 "Peau Douce" (Steve Swallow) – 4:18 "Nobody Else But Me" (Hammerstein II, Kern) – 5:06 Bonus track on CD reissue "I Will Say Goodbye" [Take 2] (Legrand) – 4:51 "The Opener" (Bill Evans) – 6:13 "Quiet Light" (Earl Zindars) – 2:29 "A House Is Not a Home" (Bacharach, David) – 4:38 "Orson's Theme" (Legrand) – 3:47 Bonus track on CD reissue

Gorgeous. :thumbsup: Congrats!

You absolutely need to do a YOUTUBE video of it for us so we can hear it play.

WOW...very nice...beautiful condition! :thumbsup:

Thanks guys! I will try and post up a video once I get it home. I am still down in St Louis. And as mentioned the condition is pretty spectacular given it’s age, that’s what made me snag it. Came with a few other pieces of early memorabilia as well...

D36C284A-6299-41AE-88E8-D962F8F78C5B.jpeg

I have a picture of my grandfather with a similar instrument at a picnic with my grandmother (probably when they were both about 18). You are a lucky man having this instrument.

The photo of my grandparents is a very early photo and not super clear, but at least I have it. Better than no picture at all. It must have been amazing back then to have music on a picnic. For the first time without having a band of musicians with you.

You own a piece of history.

I have a picture of my grandfather with a similar instrument at a picnic with my grandmother (probably when they were both about 18). You are a lucky man having this instrument.

The photo of my grandparents is a very early photo and not super clear, but at least I have it. Better than no picture at all. It must have been amazing back then to have music on a picnic. For the first time without having a band of musicians with you.

You own a piece of history.

All ready for the picnic. :beerchug:

2A3BDFFC-6E04-485C-9DD9-FE96673667F3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom