Today's JAZZ playlist

Never heard of it.
:rflmao:

The drum sound on that, though?!
Every time I hear shit sounding drums on a recording I feel like passing that one along and saying, "Here. Be more like this".

It has to be the Columbia studio engineers, capturing those skins. Sam Woodyard and Jimmy Johnson did the drum work.

I'm always amazed at the notes on so many of these albums, not just Ellington's, but so many others that we spin and listen to on this forum. I am in awe that they are recorded in a day MAYBE over two days (as this classic was). Yes, there are plenty that took a month or two to get people in the right place, but the level of the musicianship and their professionalism as just amazing.

But back to this LP, just re-listening to this while typing....I have to ask, 'What were people listening to, other than great music like this?'. I know my parents weren't, I know that even during the 50s and early 60s, the music industry was fragmented, not just between Sweet and Hot, but polka, mood, lounge, ethnic, R&B, R&R, bop, hard bop, swing-ish left overs, Dixieland (I really hate to even use that word). But album like this just stands above others. Just My Two Cents

P9208406.jpg

SOMETHIN' ELSE
Cannonball Adderley – alto saxophone
Miles Davis – trumpet
Hank Jones – piano
Sam Jones – bass
Art Blakey – drums​

Blue Note

It has to be the Columbia studio engineers, capturing those skins. Sam Woodyard and Jimmy Johnson did the drum work.

I'm always amazed at the notes on so many of these albums, not just Ellington's, but so many others that we spin and listen to on this forum. I am in awe that they are recorded in a day MAYBE over two days (as this classic was). Yes, there are plenty that took a month or two to get people in the right place, but the level of the musicianship and their professionalism as just amazing.

But back to this LP, just re-listening to this while typing....I have to ask, 'What were people listening to, other than great music like this?'. I know my parents weren't, I know that even during the 50s and early 60s, the music industry was fragmented, not just between Sweet and Hot, but polka, mood, lounge, ethnic, R&B, R&R, bop, hard bop, swing-ish left overs, Dixieland (I really hate to even use that word). But album like this just stands above others. Just My Two Cents
I've mentioned a few times over the years how I don't find much jazz when I go searching through the thrifts. I just shrug it off.
What I don't get is how a flat out gem just pops up out of nowhere in the middle of all the bleh that is the usual? Or, how does something like Roland Kirk's I Talk To Spirits show up in a pile at a Goodwill with NOTHING even close to it in the bins? :dunno:

I've mentioned a few times over the years how I don't find much jazz when I go searching through the thrifts. I just shrug it off.
What I don't get is how a flat out gem just pops up out of nowhere in the middle of all the bleh that is the usual? Or, how does something like Roland Kirk's I Talk To Spirits show up in a pile at a Goodwill with NOTHING even close to it in the bins? :dunno:

The charity shop gods are notoriously fickle. We must have too many vultures around here to even allow such gems to appear. The best I get to see is Perry Como Christmas and Eddie Rabbit cast offs.

Back
Top Bottom