Today's JAZZ playlist

I worked in SD for a bit. From Sioux Falls to Mitchell to the Badlands. Pretty state in the summer. You can keep the winters. Saw the Corn Palace in Mitchell. Saw Buffalo roaming the prairie. Saw snow so bad they would literally CLOSE the highway to traffic and gate the entry/exit ramps. I flew into Sioux Falls one January day. Rented a car. Drove as far as Pierre. Couldn't make it any further. Blowing and drifting snow was horrific. Ambient temp was something like 5 below zero. At the exit, there was a Super 8 Motel and the Pierre Steak House. Lucky for me, plenty of room at the hotel. Walked across the parking lot and had one of the best steak dinners ever. For like $25 bucks with tip. What a great state! :)

A good dinner tastes even better when it's sub zero outside and toasty warm inside. I learned that in Fargo, ND as well one January. Talk about COLD. There it was 20 below. First time I saw a cup of hot water vaporize when thrown in the air.
Imagine if you had of gone north towards the border!

It’s been around 30c here the last few days, and I’m not too happy about it.
I had a back and forth convo about -30c vs +30c with a few parents on the playground today, and they all voted that -30c is better.
Which is bs. They’d all flip their vote in January when it’s cold!

It’s almost 30c @9pm right now, and the sun is beating down. Bleh.

I really really like his small group work. I almost prefer it to his big band stuff in some ways. I feel horrible for saying that but it's what I find myself gravitating to when I want some Benny Goodman. :dunno::)
You’re not alone. Goodman’s small group stuff is IT.

His big band material needs no explanation obviously, but make me choose? No contest, small group all the way.

I worked in SD for a bit. From Sioux Falls to Mitchell to the Badlands. Pretty state in the summer. You can keep the winters. Saw the Corn Palace in Mitchell. Saw Buffalo roaming the prairie. Saw snow so bad they would literally CLOSE the highway to traffic and gate the entry/exit ramps. I flew into Sioux Falls one January day. Rented a car. Drove as far as Pierre. Couldn't make it any further. Blowing and drifting snow was horrific. Ambient temp was something like 5 below zero. At the exit, there was a Super 8 Motel and the Pierre Steak House. Lucky for me, plenty of room at the hotel. Walked across the parking lot and had one of the best steak dinners ever. For like $25 bucks with tip. What a great state! :)

A good dinner tastes even better when it's sub zero outside and toasty warm inside. I learned that in Fargo, ND as well one January. Talk about COLD. There it was 20 below. First time I saw a cup of hot water vaporize when thrown in the air.
A friend who moved from Illinois to Colorado, says he prefers out West grass fed beef over corn fed from this corn country. Nothing like good steak.

CJ2w3wQ.jpg

Imagine if you had of gone north towards the border!

It’s been around 30c here the last few days, and I’m not too happy about it.
I had a back and forth convo about -30c vs +30c with a few parents on the playground today, and they all voted that -30c is better.
Which is bs. They’d all flip their vote in January when it’s cold!

It’s almost 30c @9pm right now, and the sun is beating down. Bleh.

South Dakota is a very extreme weather state. 95 degrees and high humidity in the summer with Deer flies that will drain a pint of blood from you in a minute. 25 below zero in the winter with 30 mph winds. It's why in the 1800s people that lived there built SOD homes out of mud and earth. Those were rugged people. I can't imagine living there without modern homes, AC and HEAT. With Screens in the windows! But I am sure it can get worse as you go north. I do remember one summer North Dakota was 50 degrees and rainy. South Dakota when I got there was 85 degrees, humid and sunny. Same day. That's a big difference for 200 miles.

I really really like his small group work. I almost prefer it to his big band stuff in some ways. I feel horrible for saying that but it's what I find myself gravitating to when I want some Benny Goodman. :dunno::)

It is completely understandable. I like his small group work. The big bad music made him popular. That's like the bread and butter, the small group work is the cream. Same with Artie Shaw, I like his small group work more.

That's the truth. John Wayne once said he could not think of a better Villain for his western movies than Boone. Boone was a fairly big guy, with that deep raspy voice. And a face that had a "Don't mess with me" look to it....with his sharp steely eyes. Loved him in "Have Gun Will Travel" but also like him in the movies he starred in, some with John Wayne. Even in "The Shootist" where Boone had a bit part, he was just perfect for that role.

He looked like booze and age had worked overtime, when he appeared in The Shootist.

Back
Top Bottom