Today's JAZZ playlist

Pops was such a good person. But I didn't know about the ice cream story. But it really doesn't surprise me. He had such a good soul.

Bing Crosby loved him not just as a performer, but as a human being. Bing was also a good man at heart (his losses in horse betting not withstanding), and always said how much he admired Armstrong.

I remember the first time I saw this. Kind of blew me away;

Crosby rocks this with Armstrong. "Jazz is king, jazz is the thing that folks love best!"

That was amazing...

Man, you hit THAT nail on the head. I'm using a pair of Panasonic Earbuds I get from Amazon for 10 bucks. They get five star reviews because they quite simply sound SPECTACULAR! The Bass thumps me in the chest. I swear I can feel it. Obviously not really, but it makes me THINK I can feel the bass. And the highs are so natural.
I have five or six pairs around the house and in the car. And honestly, they sound as good if not better than my expensive vintage equipment with expensive speakers.
Sad, but TRUE.

I even have to admit that these Panasonic buds sound as good if not better than my AKG Headphones that I paid an arm and a leg for. Technology marches ON!

Yeah, it's almost like I don't have to purchase the album! (Well almost). But the fidelity is amazing. That Pops/Bing clip sounded fantastic.

OK, well after @jgannon 's recommendation, now I want more Female Jazz Vocals.

Sarah Vaughan - After Hours

41TuTTO432L._SS500.jpg

Pops was such a good person. But I didn't know about the ice cream story. But it really doesn't surprise me. He had such a good soul.

Bing Crosby loved him not just as a performer, but as a human being. Bing was also a good man at heart (his losses in horse betting not withstanding), and always said how much he admired Armstrong.

I remember the first time I saw this. It kind of blew me away;

Crosby rocks this with Armstrong. "Jazz is king, Jazz is the thing that folks love best!"

Great vid.

I know, right? Bing Crosby with Armstrong. I was shocked the first time I saw / heard that.
"White Christmas" it AIN'T!

There are some recordings of Louis doing that tune with his own band, by himself. I don't know if there are videos (there could be) but I do know there is audio. "High Society" was such a great movie too. The last thing Cole Porter wrote for.

View attachment 1218390
stopped in and got a copy of this on the way home from work this morning,the vinyl version is spread over 4 disc's and is 100 aussie bucks a pop :eek2: in the shop i went in.
so settled immediately for the cd ;).
kamasi washington - heaven and earth

Nice! :thumbsup:

Apple Music just popped this up in my "FOR YOU" section as a brand new Jazz Release. So I must listen as well. I guess this JUST got released TODAY. So we are hearing a brand spanking new release in Jazz. Pretty cool.

So NEXT UP (after Sarah Vaughn finishes);

Kamasi Washington - Heaven and Earth
vie Apple Music

416TRk2dd6L._SS500.jpg

There are some recordings of Louis doing that tune with his own band, by himself. I don't know if there are videos (there could be) but I do know there is audio. "High Society" was such a great movie too. The last thing Cole Porter wrote for.

I really like that movie, JG. I have not seen it in a very long time. I'll put it on the list for tomorrow. I'm sure I can watch it on Amazon Fire TV. Gotta' love technology.

That was very cool! Barrett Deems killed that break...

Bing has always been silly to me. But he did a lot to expose people to some real wonderful talent, he had good taste in music, and he had the best pals-- Louis Armstrong, Les Paul, and David Bowie.

GJ

Well, I'll agree with you on Deems, but disagree with you on Bing. Bing could deliver the goods.

But of course, we all are going to have different opinions...

Oh my. As they used to say on the sitcom "MASH", you really have some High Class Hooch there! I think I got a buzz just LOOKING at your post! :biggrin:
And I see you are imbibing with moderation. Looks like two fingers. Save the three finger pour for your true Friday.
Thank you sir.
Whiskey especially Japanese and Scottish single malts are a weak point for me. Now if I could only transport myself to Japan or the Sottish Highlands to enjoy one of these. :) I have always wanted to visit Japan and hang out in some of the jazz clubs and sip whiskey all night and visit some of the amazing audio shops during the day.

Last edited:
Well, I'll agree with you on Deems, but disagree with you on Bing. Bing could deliver the goods.

But of course, we all are going to have different opinions...

Tony Bennett said of Bing, "He had a voice that sounded so relaxed and so natural and he realized that with a microphone, he didn't have to "push" his voice. He made singing sound so easy like anyone could do it, but of course, everyone can't. No one sounded like Bing".

I've got that quote fairly close. It's from a Bing Crosby documentary I saw about four years ago.

Thank you sir.
Whiskey especially Japanese and Scottish single malts are a weak point for me. Now if I could only transport myself to Japan or the Sottish Highlands to enjoy one of these. :) I have always wanted to visit Japan and and hang out in some of the jazz clubs and sip whiskey all night and visit some of the amazing audio shops during the day.

I hear you. SWMBO is going to Tokyo in a few months. Solo. I posted this earlier, but again, I am burnt out flying around the globe. I don't enjoy travel like i used to. But world travel is SWMBO's hobby. It's what she does instead of golf. I told her she has to bring me back some Japanese Jazz albums, and a bottle of Yamazaki 12 year old Scotch.

Another MASH line I loved;

A visiting General to Henry Blake: "That's 12 year old Scotch. It goes down real smooth."

Henry Blake: "Well at THAT age, it should know the way!" :)

Tony Bennett said of Bing, "He had a voice that sounded so relaxed and so natural and he realized that with a microphone, he didn't have to "push" his voice. He made singing sound so easy like anyone could do it, but of course, everyone can't. No one sounded like Bing".

I've got that quote fairly close. It's from a Bing Crosby documentary I saw about four years ago.

Yeah, what a round and beautiful baritone, he had. Is mellifluous an apt adjective here? Bing has got his own thing altogether. For me, he might not get to me the way Frank does, but he gets his points across. When you hear him sing "I'll Be Home For Christmas", for example. I think you know what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom