Today's JAZZ playlist

Man, you hit THAT nail on the head. I'm using a pair of Panasonic Earbuds I get from Amazon for 10 bucks. They get five star reviews because they quite simply sound SPECTACULAR! The Bass thumps me in the chest. I swear I can feel it. Obviously not really, but it makes me THINK I can feel the bass. And the highs are so natural.
I have five or six pairs around the house and in the car. And honestly, they sound as good if not better than my expensive vintage equipment with expensive speakers.
Sad, but TRUE.

I even have to admit that these Panasonic buds sound as good if not better than my AKG Headphones that I paid an arm and a leg for. Technology marches ON!
Which ones are those?
I've had a cheap pair of Panasonics(I think) for years that I always brought along to places like my kid's dance class. One of the channels went out a few months back.
I've been living with the Apple buds, but I don't really care for the fit.

Warne Marsh Quartet
Music For Prancing
-VSOP-

IMG_5256_zps9ewkyywm.jpg

Grachan Moncur III
Some Other Stuff

Recorded (Van Gelder Studio) 1964
Released (Blue Note LP) 1965
Remastered (Blue Note RVG Edition CD) 2009

Grachan Moncur III (trombone)
Wayne Shorter (tenor saxophone)
Herbie Hancock (piano)
Cecil McBee (bass)
Tony Williams (drums)

29220736.jpg
After a fairly intense two weeks at work I’m catching up on a few things. I listened to this as it caught my eye and while I wouldn’t want a steady diet of avant-garde, or out, or free, or what ever you decide to call it, I do enjoy it, and I really enjoyed this. Nice surprises throughout. Would this be considered a bit more accessible than Eric Dolphy’s Out to Lunch! (which I also like) or some of Matthew Shipp’s music? Still in that realm I guess. Anyway, thanks!

I'll believe it when I see it. I have read that there are a number of independent alt-rock type groups that like to release their stuff on cassette, in small circulation only, obviously. Apparently, this is related to the fact that much of their audience drives older cars from the era when cassette decks were standard equipment, and car CD players were esoteric and very pricey. It also suggests that they're not really listening to cassettes anywhere but in the car, though . . .

Yep. I agree. Before digital, tape had a big place for Audiophiles and the general public. But with digital recording, it's simply outdated. I record a great live Jazz show digitally via TuneIn PRO every Sunday evening from 8 PM to Midnight called "NIght Train" via WLRN in Miami. I'd not be able to do that with tape, unless I slowed a reel to reel down to 1 7/8 IPS and put up with the hiss and low fidelity. And I'd still have to get up at 10:00 PM and change tape direction. Then I'd have to worry about cost of tape, and storage of all those reels.

Don't get me wrong, I still have a few cassette players and a few R2R decks on my vintage systems, and I still use them and enjoy them from time to time. I just don't see it coming back like Vinyl did.
+1
Cassette doesn't bring much to the table. I can see somebody who is already setup using it. But making a comeback? Nah.
Besides, the cool bands are about piano rolls. I still recall cracking up when I got an email about this from April 1st a few years back.

http://wilcoworld.net/the-whole-love-now-available-on-piano-roll/

Yeah, I still have a pretty good Denon cassette deck I bought in the early 90s, and it has Dolby B and C and HXPro and detects Type II and Metal tape automatically and adjusts bias. It seemed like $300 was a fortune at the time, but I've gotten more than my money out of it over the years. I put a lot of miles on it in the 90s. As a result, many of my LPs are in excellent condition, because they got played once, and put away for years.

I also picked up a couple of cheap decks at thrifts in the last few years -- one of the few kinds of audio equipment that I still occasionally see in thrifts because apparently no one else really wants them. I came across a nice Luxman deck for $8 with microphone inputs so I can record myself torturing my horn, and a $20 Nakamichi that sounded very nice for a while, but now needs repair. Probably not worth fixing, given that I don't really need it . . .
I couldn't wait to dump cassette. As soon as I bought a CD recorder it was gone.
Fast forward a few years, and I picked up really cool Sony ES deck at a thrift. No idea why, I rarely use it, but it looks cool on the rack, lol.

Not my pic, but it's this one:
338604-sony_tcwr97es_double_cassette_deck.jpg

This comeback is restricted to those who have pick-up trucks with player pianos permanently installed in the bed. Repeatedly pulling over to the side of the road to change the rolls is a major pain in the ass, or so I've heard.
Ha!

I cracked up at the hipster comment. But as I type that I can see my The Whole Love vinyl box. I didn't even buy it whole, I pieced it together over time with parts from their store!
I'm no hipster, but anyone looking at my Wilco vinyl collection would probably disagree, lol.

Record cleaning for me is hit and miss. Some days I could clean all day and really get into it and then there's the days I just want to clean what I have to.

However I will be trying some paint pads for scrubbing tomorrow along with my Spin Clean for a rinse when I get done with the vacuum. I was only using the vacuum before. So I'm actually looking forward to this round.

I switch around from what your saying. I wash in Spinclean. Then rinse with distilled, small paint pads and vac on a high torque turntable wired with a good ground. Either way works. I should put my vac in insulated box.

I've tried so many methods.... other than the very expensive vacuum systems. Wood glue, Magic Eraser, Formula 409 with Microfiber cloths on a padded stool, you name it. Spin Clean works pretty good for me as well. I've never been excited about cleaning. I always only want to do what I have to.

You guys just need to get one of these - cleaning becomes quick and easy! Seriously, the “drudgery” is no more. No setup, no cleanup, it’s always ready to go, with only minimal maintenance. Clean and play.

Your Jazz LP listening will be enhanced.

19C74FE7-25A6-412B-8970-C3603602C74E.jpeg

I keep going back and forth on the idea. I've had Apple Music in the past, and like it. I'm just not sure if I'd get value out of it.
Between youtube, and the free streaming subscription I get through my library, I'm set when I'm out and about. At home I've got more music than I have time for, so not much need there.

I struggle with this all the time, Kris.

I feel like I "need" Apple Music because I have an iPhone. As you know, Apple Music is "Integrated" into the operating system of iPhones, so it's just part of the iOS experience, because you are not running an App outside of the OS. And Apple Music is "supposed" to have the most albums available. I know that's probably debatable. I ran Apple Music on my Droid via an App. Nope. Not the same experience at all. I'd pass on it if I didn't have an iPhone. I realized I don't NEED it, I WANT it.

OK, now back to reality. It's 10 bucks a month, and very little on Apple Music is not available for free on Youtube or the free streaming from Spotify. Do I need Apple Music FINANCIALLY? Hell no. Do I want Apple Music aesthetically? Hell yes.

I know what I SHOULD do, Kris. I SHOULD drop ALL subscription services and just do Youtube and Slacker ($25 a year is too good a bargain to pass up). Plus I get Stingray Music for free because of my U-Verse Cable TV account. But then I'd miss Apple Music and Google Play Music (with YouTube RED). It's WANT vs NEED. I don't NEED any of the pay-for streaming services. I WANT them. So I struggle with this big time. I subscribe to three. That's $30 a month x 12. $360 a year thrown out the window. That would buy a lot of used vinyl! :)

EDIT:
But I also think, Apple Music is 33 cents a day. 33 cents for something that I actually USE and enjoy. Oh, the struggle continues.

Last edited:
You guys just need to get one of these - cleaning becomes quick and easy! Seriously, the “drudgery” is no more. No setup, no cleanup, it’s always ready to go, with only minimal maintenance. Clean and play.

Your Jazz LP listening will be enhanced.

View attachment 1218666

That's a very fine machine. I've seen the Youtube videos of that beast in action.

Unfortunately, it's too rich for my blood. I don't doubt that it is a supreme machine and that it works effortlessly to clean your vinyl. The cost is just too much for me personally to justify the purchase. I picked up a Spin-Clean Clone (the Studebaker) for under $50 and It works good enough for me.

Which ones are those?
I've had a cheap pair of Panasonics(I think) for years that I always brought along to places like my kid's dance class. One of the channels went out a few months back.
I've been living with the Apple buds, but I don't really care for the fit.

Just saw this Kris.

These are the ones I use. I recommended them to @Old Guy8 and he really likes them too. What's not to like? Under 10 bucks and incredible sound.

A similar pair HERE with Prime shipping and even LESS expensive.

I listed both for you because I'm not sure if both will be available in Canada. They are just about equal. The models are super close in price and performance.

I also have These with mic so I can take and make calls if I want.

You just can't beat Panasonic Earbuds (IMO) for price VS performance. They sound amazing. And they are cheap. Lose a pair or break a pair? No biggie. I've got a few other pairs laying around.

Finally, if for some reason you prefer a flat cord, I also have THESE. I've had this pair for about 5 years and it's never failed me. They are different from the models linked above, but also get stellar reviews and sound amazing. Similarly priced.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom