Today's JAZZ playlist

Hmmmm. Somewhere in the dark recesses of my brain I seem to recall hearing that too about Fess Parker. Go figure. From Davy Crockett to Daniel Boone to real estate mogul. Well done, Fess.

Among Fess investments (besides Santa Barbara riches) is a beautiful winery in St. Ynez valley and a nice hotel (in Los Olivos). Problem is they cant seem to make a decent wine (or don't need to) and cant get the septic system right at the hotel (though this is true all through L.O.). My family sourced from a vineyard in that area and I frequented their properties often. Old Fess died about 8 -9 years ago, he was a good man.

Among Fess investments (besides Santa Barbara riches) is a beautiful winery in St. Ynez valley and a nice hotel (in Los Olivos). Problem is they cant seem to make a decent wine (or don't need to) and cant get the septic system right at the hotel (though this is true all through L.O.). My family sourced from a vineyard in that area and I frequented their properties often. Old Fess died about 8 -9 years ago, he was a good man.

Expert Witness may step down from the stand.

Phantomrebel,

Ru from Santa Barbara?
Not originally from there, but I lived in Montecito for a few years until the Thomas Fire (my fire/flood saga was shared with others in the same predicament in this thread http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/keep-santa-paula-ventura-ca-in-your-thoughts.799530/). We've since moved to the beach near Cayucos, if you know where that is (few do, which is awesome!). I also have a place in Colorado, and spend 1/2 my time there. My parents still live in SB though. You too?

Last edited:
Just wondering, I grew up in Goleta. One of these days I'll have to go visit (been a while since i've been back there).
Not sure how long it's been for you, but Goleta has changed. No longer just avocado ranches and open space (though much still exist). They put all the box stores (like Costco and Home Depot) and new high density housing developments up there that the do-gooder's wouldn't allow in Santa Barbara. Fortunately, it remains less crowded than SB and still has some of the best beaches. You should definitely visit. I grew up in Laguna Beach in the 60's...what great memories...I'm glad to have re-visited, even though you couldn't pay me to live there anymore. It helps confirm one's life decisions while providing both grounding and closure. But enough reminiscing, lets play some Jazz! Most of my LPs were damaged or lost in the fire incident, but I have a good reel tape collection in Colorado, where I am currently. Unfortunately, all my decks are in storage, ready to be moved to CA, so I can only just look at the tapes. This one I just received in the mail today and cant wait to play it, but right now, I am listening to it's digital download. Ahhh, I don't think Impulse! ever put out anything that I didn't like!
mingus.JPG

OK, another Impulse! released tape I received this week, but this time I'm listening to a good quality Flac file I recorded from vinyl (I was in the process of ripping my vinyl collection alphabetically so already had this on the drive). Still Jonesing to spin this reel though.
artblakey.JPG

WELL, sitting around waiting for the UPS guy to deliver my new Coltrane Deluxe Vinyl to my office. Suddenly an email from amazon.

ALERT - PACKAGE DELIVERY DELAYED. I was hoping against hope that it was the CD delivery slated for next TUESDAY that would be late. Nope. My Vinyl never shipped even though I got a shipping notice. New estimated delivery for the Vinyl Deluxe set is next THURSDAY JULY 5. Ouch. My Deluxe CD set will be here on Tuesday so I'll have to live with that.

So, in the mean time, I am home, listening to the regular album on my finest system (I listened to it on my patio system this morning at 5 AM). Via Apple Music Stream ---> AIRPLAY Lossless to a Wolson DAC Airplay Receiver. I'm happier than if I were not listening at all, that's for sure. I think Apple streams their Music Service around 256k, so not bad at all...... CERTAINLY BETTER THAN NOTHING.

Via Apple Music;

51r01nWf38L._SS500.jpg
Sorry to hear about that.
I got a bad pressing today. I came home and did an inspection and was not impressed at all. I had to package mine back up to take back for a refund. First record was not flat but not bad enough to return. Second disc had a noticeable warp and that killed it for me. Both records had surface blemishes as well. So all in all I'm not impressed with the vinyl pressing and will probably switch to CD to avoid another potential letdown. Impulse could have done a much better job for such an important release. They didn't even use poly sleeves. So I'm about to cue it up on Apple Music until I can find the CD to buy. I hope you get a good one.

Bummer, and sorry to hear that guys.

I got the "deluxe" vinyl double LP, and I'm just listening to Side 1 as I type. It sounds beautiful. This was a very important release.

I haven't read the liners yet, but I wonder why it never came out? The music and recording are sublime.

GJ
Thanks. I gotta say the album is fantastic. Been listening on Apple Music and really enjoying it.

Sorry to hear about that.
I got a bad pressing today. I came home and did an inspection and was not impressed at all. I had to package mine back up to take back for a refund. First record was not flat but not bad enough to return. Second disc had a noticeable warp and that killed it for me. Both records had surface blemishes as well. So all in all I'm not impressed with the vinyl pressing and will probably switch to CD to avoid another potential letdown. Impulse could have done a much better job for such an important release. They didn't even use poly sleeves. So I'm about to cue it up on Apple Music until I can find the CD to buy. I hope you get a good one.

Arc,
Thanks for your timely experience you posted. I was able to cancel my vinyl order and order CD replacement and some others at Amazon. Don't like dealing with returns either.

KSDS San Diego
Latin Grooves with Chris Springer

Last edited:
Arc,
Thanks for your timely experience you posted. I was able to cancel my vinyl order and order CD replacement. Don't like dealing with returns either.
I as well just ordered my CD off Amazon so I should have it in a few days. For such an important release I expected a much better pressing. Apple Music and Spotify have me covered until then. :)

Yeah, when you are really into the culture and training for Ironman full distance competition, it takes HUGE dedication. You push your body to the limit, and you become very lean doing it. I don't have THAT kind of drive any longer, but I still train at a much smaller level.

Bogey roles. When I was younger, "Casablanca" would be on the top. No longer. Still love him as Rick, but it's not my favorite. Favorite? Yikes. I can't think of one now. I'll have to sleep on it. "Maltese Falcon" was interesting. Loved him in "African Queen". "Key Largo" and "The Enforcer" I liked. Off the bat, I'd now have to pick his role as Queeg in "Caine Mutiny", but I may have a different opinion tomorrow. :)
Don't forget "To Have and Have Not". Slim sang "How Little We Know" for Cricket,and asked Harry "What are you trying to do,guess her weight?" when Madame DeBursac passed out from the ether. But she was never bit by a dead bee because she just put her two lips together and blew....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom