Today's JAZZ playlist

42831175925_4f55b6dd71_o.jpg

It's About Time

Lanny Morgan

1981 Palo Alto Jazz PA 8007

My CD/LP/TAPE Collection

Ohhh yes i do like to listen to Umm Kulthum singing...but always in the right frame of mind...
Went through a big stage of listening to her singing...sometimes she just hits the spot...
Driving through heavy traffic in a large tonnage truck the weather cold and grey with possibilty of rain...every other driver has a grudge against me for some strange reason i cannot work out...heaps of O/T worked long hours clocked up...it's nearly the end of the week...clothes dirty...feeling grimey...last drop the fork lift driver just a massive ao...that was 5 hours ago...not in a very good mood and starting to feel hungry...park near the Oasis Bakery 10 minute drive around till i can squeeze the truck into a spot...yes!!!!
Now i go in for some food just hope the boss does'nt ring me to inquire about my stop...cranky mood...not in the mood to explain my decisions...
Walk in through the door on a mission! Warm air wafts across my face...smells of fresh cooking food fill my nostrils...salivia works its magic across my tongue...and then i hear it...
I hear a woman singing over their sound system...stops my world for a second...it's so different to the music i am so used to listening...outer world harmonies...
I ask who is singing...it's Umm Kulthum...i see the cds for sale...
I check the menu...
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...R_WEBSITE_JUNE_2018_2.pdf?5036129941491741853
order my Shawarma & salad...overlook ordering the baklava yum!...buy a Umm Kulthum cd as well..
I get back into my truck unwrap my shawarma take a bite...insert the cd...
Life is good! :)

Oh yeah I dig what you are saying. Dear God, I'm thinking about what I wrote and how it might have come across. I love all different kinds of music including Indian and Kulthum. I was just kind of trying to highlight the melodic quality of Western music. But I will absolutely listen to other styles from around the world. Absolutely. I love all different kinds of music. Great story also. Thanks for sharing.

EDIT: At the computer now and it's easier to type. What I said really didn't come out right before. I didn't mean to reduce all Indian music to how I described it, nor disparage Umm Kulthum. I haven't heard her in a long time either. I just remember listening to her during a documentary years ago, and how people described the rapture listening to her. I remember thinking that maybe a large part of what we respond to emotionally, musically, could be a matter of cultural upbringing - NOT that that is an absolute as we all know. Not by a space shot. But I remember thinking that conditioning, by virtue of living in a certain culture, COULD be involved in triggering emotional responses. And this is not to say that someone outside that culture couldn't feel that. THANK GOD for all of these differences.

Regarding Western music, there is a melodic quality to it that is so beautiful, and for which I'm so thankful to have been immersed and nurtured by.

Regarding Umm Kulthum, I'm going to listen to her again real soon. I also did dig her. I hope what I have added here, clears up a little bit what I was trying to say.

Last edited:
Man, thanks for this Beau! Gonna catch up on my Eddie South, who I've been aware of all these years, but have never acquired anything of. The first song was "La Rosita" too. I have a couple of recordings of that with Coleman Hawkins, one with him playing with Ben Webster. This version by South is fantastic.
My pleasure JG . I am happy when i share this album with you :)

Back
Top Bottom