Today's JAZZ playlist

Frank Wess & John Coltrane - Wheelin’ And Dealin’

R-5755608-1457811389-7952.jpeg.jpg

Oh yeah I dig what you are saying. Dear God, I'm thinking about what I wrote and how it might have come across. I love all different kinds of music including Indian and Kulthum. I was just kind of trying to highlight the melodic quality of Western music. But I will absolutely listen to other styles from around the world. Absolutely. I love all different kinds of music. Great story also. Thanks for sharing.

EDIT: At the computer now and it's easier to type. What I said really didn't come out right before. I didn't mean to reduce all Indian music to how I described it, nor disparage Umm Kulthum. I haven't heard her in a long time either. I just remember listening to her during a documentary years ago, and how people described the rapture listening to her. I remember thinking that maybe a large part of what we respond to emotionally, musically, could be a matter of cultural upbringing - NOT that that is an absolute as we all know. Not by a space shot. But I remember thinking that conditioning, by virtue of living in a certain culture, COULD be involved in triggering emotional responses. And this is not to say that someone outside that culture couldn't feel that. THANK GOD for all of these differences.

Regarding Western music, there is a melodic quality to it that is so beautiful, and for which I'm so thankful to have been immersed and nurtured by.

Regarding Umm Kulthum, I'm going to listen to her again real soon. I also did dig her. I hope what I have added here, clears up a little bit what I was trying to say.
Hi jgannon all good...:)
I'm off to listen to...

Miles From India - Celebration of the Music of Miles Davis (2008) 03 - Ife (fast Dave Liebman: Flute Kala Ramnath: Violin Adam Holzman: Keyboards/Mini Moog Pete Cosey: Guitar Michael Henderson: Bass A. Sivamani: Percussion Vikku Vinayakram: Ghatam Gino Banks: Drums This is one of the greatest pieces from... also gorgeos tribute to Miles Davis named "Miles From India" - actually the finest of any music tributes I've ever heard. Listen carefully cause it's really mind-blowind return to '70s with much stronger eastern influence than Miles used. The double-CD set is available in e-stores.

Last edited:

0:01 Jaane tu ya jaane na - A.R. Rahman(jaane tu ya jaane na) 4:35 Muskaane jhuti hain - Ram sampath(talaash) 7:55 Khaabon ke parindey - Shankar Ehsaan Loy(ZNMD) 12:09 Kya Hai Mohabbat - A R Rahman(ek deewana tha) 16:37 Behka Main behka - A.R. Rahman(Ghajini) 21:50 Hosanna - A.R. Rahman(Ekk Deewana Tha) 27:21 Masakkali - A.R. Rahman(Delhi 6) 32:12 Sheher Mera - A.R. Rahman(One By Two) 35:46 Zohra Jabeen - A.R. Rahman(Ek Deewana Tha) 39:00 Aise Na Dekho - A.R. Rahman(Raanjhanaa) 43:16 Jab Bhi cigarette - A.R. Rahman(No Smoking)

Just got this last week and am working my way through the collection. Listened to it on the way to work this morning and will do the same on the way home. Had some of the vinyl/LPs years ago but don't remember exactly what happened to them; probably loaned them to other musicians I new and never got them back. Anyway, great stuff from a wonderful guy and very under recognized guitarist. OPG.

Attachments

• Tal Farlow CD set.jpg
    Tal Farlow CD set.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 7
Quincy Jones --Jazz 'Round Midnight

jones quincy round midnight.png

A Verve anthology drawn from a number of Mercury (and one Emarcy) big band albums from 1958 to 1964. A lot of big names sprinkled in there: among them, Harry Sweets Edison, Joe Newman, Ernie Royal, Frank Wess, Phil Woods, Zoot Sims, Clark Terry, Curtis Fuller, Jerome Richardson, Sahib Shihab, Jimmy Cleveland, Quentin Jackson, Melba Liston, Buddy Callett, Britt Woodman, Julius Watkins, Art Farmer, Lee Morgan, Al Grey, Roland Kirk, Al Cohn, James Moody . . . wait a minute -- Roland Kirk?! ;)

It doesn't really matter, but it seems kind of odd: as the notes indicate, none of this stuff was originally on Verve, but on Mercury, which was a separate company at the time, but Polygram, which now owns them both, decided to release it on Verve. Who knows why record companies do what they do?

Back
Top Bottom