Today's JAZZ playlist

Such a great tune, right? You probably already know that there's a great recording of it with Bud Powell and Don Byas together. And also the Cannonball Adderley version. Barry Harris is the pianist on that recording, which leads me to a story about that. (@Kingpin5 I'm probably repeating myself here! ;)) But one night at the Jazz Cultural Theatre, the place Barry used to own and teach at on 8th Ave. and 28th St. in Manhattan, it was really late one night. Must have been like two in the morning. And someone gave Barry the sheet music to "Jeannine", which I guess he hadn't seen in a while. Well anyway, he read through the tune, and man - he just started blowing chorus after chorus on that, supported by probably some students of his on bass and drums - although, the drummer might have been Jimmy Lovelace who used to play for all of his classes. I don't know if he would have been there that late. But I just remember standing behind him and listening to him make that tune his own. It was just one of the many amazing moments being around Barry Harris.

Sidebar stories like this are pure GOLD, JG. Seriously. Thanks so much for posting these tid bits. It's the soul of what makes this awesome thread one of the best in Jazz. :thumbsup:

You have to keep busy. My father (RIP) always said he wasn't going to die a rocking chair death. He made sure he had projects every day of his retirement. Except Saturday/Sunday. Weekend days he just lounged around listening to Jazz and reading books. He used to say, "Even retirees need a weekend off."

I look forward to that. But I'm not rushing it. Retirement will be here when it's here.

Pfffffft, I'm tired of working for "the man". They've had their jackboot of oppression squarely on the neck of this worker. I'm looking forwards to revoking my amateur status and moving to professionally goofing off, full time. The sooner, the better.

Such a great tune, right? You probably already know that there's a great recording of it with Bud Powell and Don Byas together. And also the Cannonball Adderley version. Barry Harris is the pianist on that recording, which leads me to a story about that. (@Kingpin5 I'm probably repeating myself here! ;)) But one night at the Jazz Cultural Theatre, the place Barry used to own and teach at on 8th Ave. and 28th St. in Manhattan, it was really late one night. Must have been like two in the morning. And someone gave Barry the sheet music to "Jeannine", which I guess he hadn't seen in a while. Well anyway, he read through the tune, and man - he just started blowing chorus after chorus on that, supported by probably some students of his on bass and drums - although, the drummer might have been Jimmy Lovelace who used to play for all of his classes. I don't know if he would have been there that late. But I just remember standing behind him and listening to him make that tune his own. It was just one of the many amazing moments being around Barry Harris.
Thank you for taking the time to share your reminiscences jg...wonderful background jazz fleshing out and always a pleasure and a treat to read! ...:thumbsup:
I had no idea...now to chase up those recordings!

Sidebar stories like this are pure GOLD, JG. Seriously. Thanks so much for posting these tid bits. It's the soul of what makes this awesome thread one of the best in Jazz. :thumbsup:

Oh hey Billy, thanks. I love sharing some of the experiences that I was lucky to have. You know, Eddie Locke always used to drop the most amazing stories on me, giving me a window into things that I would otherwise never have had. And those stories shaped my understanding of music so much. I'll tell you a funny story he told me once. AND I may be repeating myself again! Eddie told me that Roy Eldridge, it didn't matter if there was one person in the joint or if the place were packed - Roy would play the same - ALL OUT - that Roy just LOVED to play, and one night Eddie told me Roy taught him a valuable lesson. There weren't many people in the place, and Eddie told me he was sort of coasting. And Roy turned around and asked him what was going on. Eddie said something like "well there aren't too many people here", and Roy shot back, "I"M HERE!!" Eddie never forgot that and needless to say, didn't have to be told twice.

Pfffffft, I'm tired of working for "the man". They've had their jackboot of oppression squarely on the neck of this worker. I'm looking forwards to revoking my amateur status and moving to professionally goofing off, full time. The sooner, the better.

tumblr_inline_mg4j25xqL91qabw0a.gif

My sentiments exactly! Pfffttt to all those that told me i'll be bored when i retire!
Hahaha got news for you all ..i could sit in front of my kitchen window watch the lorikeets and eastern rosellas singing whilst sipping tea indefinitely...instead of working for "the man"...

Oh hey Billy, thanks. I love sharing some of the experiences that I was lucky to have. You know, Eddie Locke always used to drop the most amazing stories on me, giving me a window into things that I would otherwise never have had. And those stories shaped my understanding of music so much. I'll tell you a funny story he told me once. AND I may be repeating myself again! Eddie told me that Roy Eldridge, it didn't matter if there was one person in the joint or if the place were packed - Roy would play the same - ALL OUT - that Roy just LOVED to play, and one night Eddie told me Roy taught him a valuable lesson. There weren't many people in the place, and Eddie told me he was sort of coasting. And Roy turned around and asked him what was going on. Eddie said something like "well there aren't too many people here", and Roy shot back, "I"M HERE!!" Eddie never forgot that and needless to say, didn't have to be told twice.

I don't remember that story, JG, so thanks for posting it! I love the fact that Roy said that. It's so true. Play because you love it. One person, 1,000 people, or just practice with the band. Play your heart out like it's the last performance. Enjoy playing for the sake of playing.

I love it. Great story.

I hear you. I used to work for the man in an executive position and believe me, it was NO picnic. Well, as my father also said, "I'm not wishing my life away, but I was BORN ready to retire!" :)
He worked as an executive for IBM, made great money, but the stress was extremely high, especially during the Apollo program. He couldn't wait to retire.

Hang in there. Happy days of retirement bliss will be here eventually.

It's really a great album, I don't have it on CD, but I do have a it on FLAC. The only bad thing is I only have one device that can play FLAC well other than my PC but that's not hooked up the system. I have a Fiio M3, that I can listen to flack on. There is not enough amplification on the player itself for it to sound good via the 3.5mm > the amp. I have it on MP3 as well, and will play it on the iPod to the system every so often. The LP is were its at. :) Id really love to find it on SACD!
If you have a disc player hooked up you could turn that FLAC into a CD for playing.
Assuming you didn't know that already, so my apologies if you do.

I think the old Sony SACD is pretty choice. I bought that one, and a good pile of the other jazz titles, back when Sony was pushing SACD.
Come to think of it, it was probably right about the same time they stopped giving a crap about pushing SACD, too. It didn't last long, lol!

If you have a disc player hooked up you could turn that FLAC into a CD for playing.
Assuming you didn't know that already, so my apologies if you do.

I think the old Sony SACD is pretty choice. I bought that one, and a good pile of the other jazz titles, back when Sony was pushing SACD.
Come to think of it, it was probably right about the same time they stopped giving a crap about pushing SACD, too. It didn't last long, lol!

I do, I just don't remember the last time I ripped a CD. I don't even think I have a CDR's.

My CDP is the Denon DVD-A 5900. Its able to play SACD, I try to collect them when I can find them..

Done.JPG

Maybe ill pick up some CDR's this weekend and give it a try. Thanks @KrisM

I don't remember that story, JG, so thanks for posting it! I love the fact that Roy said that. It's so true. Play because you love it. One person, 1,000 people, or just practice with the band. Play your heart out like it's the last performance. Enjoy playing for the sake of playing.

I love it. Great story.

tumblr_inline_mg4j25xqL91qabw0a.gif

My sentiments exactly! Pfffttt to all those that told me i'll be bored when i retire!
Hahaha got news for you all ..i could sit in front of my kitchen window watch the lorikeets and eastern rosellas singing whilst sipping tea indefinitely...instead of working for "the man"...

AMEN to all that!!! I'm so past that whole working thing! LOL @Kingpin5 and @BLAH BLAH, good for you!!

My worst retirement projects, better than "workplace with thier employee engagement acronyms."
Nothing like work for spirited discussions.

Back
Top Bottom