Today's JAZZ playlist

Thanks, JG. I have experience in this, and I've got two senior technicians in Audio on my side on this one. So I thought I'd get it out there. I'm not saying that there are NO rigs that do not need a re-cap, I'm saying it's way overdone. If you have a rig that is genuinely leaking on some caps, then OK, but to globally replace caps just BECAUSE you hear it's a good thing on a forum is foolish. IMO.

And, I have covertly uncovered the Lemmings by quizzing them, "So where did you get your capacitors?" If they say anything other than major outlets like Mauser or Digikey, I know they are just following the bravado, and didn't really recap their rigs. If they say Radio Shack, well, then the game is over. :)

You know Billy, I have a Sony 6060 receiver that sounds good, but I wonder if there are some caps in there that need replacing. I know absolutely nothing about working on these things. If I took some pics inside of it, would you be able to diagnose anything? For awhile, I was just using it on AUX, as the phono section was kind of cutting in and out, in that it got banged up during shipping (the volume knob got knocked off, which I probably can glue back on, if I'm careful). I will have to test that out again. But I've wanted to get this thing really operating fully, but I don't want to send it to anyone who would do anything to alter the sonic signature of this thing.

You know Billy, I have a Sony 6060 receiver that sounds good, but I wonder if there are some caps in there that need replacing. I know absolutely nothing about working on these things. If I took some pics inside of it, would you be able to diagnose anything? For awhile, I was just using it on AUX, as the phono section was kind of cutting in and out, in that it got banged up during shipping (the volume knob got knocked off, which I probably can glue back on, if I'm careful). I will have to test that out again. But I've wanted to get this thing really operating fully, but I don't want to send it to anyone who would do anything to alter the sonic signature of this thing.

No JG, photos won't help me unless there was visible smoke and I could see detail of a potential blown cap or resistor, etc. The only way to tell is to CHECK for CAPACITANCE and LEAKAGE on Caps (this is done electronically with test equipment. You'd have to take it to a shop YOU TRUST to do this, like the one I mentioned in my first post about this, that only replaces Caps if they actually NEED to be replaced. If you have HUM it COULD (maybe) be a filter cap causing the issue, but can be other issues.

You can Google "Checking Capacitors for Leakage" and you'll get a few Youtube Videos I'm sure about how this is tested. If you are interested.

No JG, photos won't help me unless there was visible smoke and I could see detail of a potential blown cap or resistor, etc. The only way to tell is to CHECK for CAPACITANCE and LEAKAGE on Caps (this is done electronically with test equipment. You'd have to take it to a shop YOU TRUST to do this, like the one I mentioned in my first post about this, that only replaces Caps if they actually NEED to be replaced. If you have HUM it COULD (maybe) be a filter cap causing the issue, but can be other issues.

You can Google "Checking Capacitors for Leakage" and you'll get a few Youtube Videos I'm sure about how this is tested. If you are interested.

Yeah, the thing is finding a shop with that philosophy. I have a nice Sherwood Solid State receiver, a 7100 that a nice sound, but it has a hum. I've always been afraid of giving that to someone, because while I would like to get rid of the hum, I don't want the sound changed.

I could try looking at some videos, but I have no electronics background. But I will look when I get a moment!

Yeah, the thing is finding a shop with that philosophy. I have a nice Sherwood Solid State receiver, a 7100 that a nice sound, but it has a hum. I've always been afraid of giving that to someone, because while I would like to get rid of the hum, I don't want the sound changed.

I could try looking at some videos, but I have no electronics background. But I will look when I get a moment!

Hum pushes suspect of filter capacitors. That's the first thing I would check, however, that does not guarantee it's a filter cap.

It's hard to find a shop that has the philosophy that they don't want to just take your money and run by globally replacing capacitors. But most shops (I would think) should be reputable enough that if you bring the rig in with HUM, that they will only address the HUM if that's what you want. My 2 cents anyway.

Hum pushes suspect of filter capacitors. That's the first thing I would check, however, that does not guarantee it's a filter cap.

It's hard to find a shop that has the philosophy that they don't want to just take your money and run by globally replacing capacitors. But most shops (I would think) should be reputable enough that if you bring the rig in with HUM, that they will only address the HUM if that's what you want. My 2 cents anyway.

Right I gotcha. I would guess that if I told the tech that I didn't want all the caps replaced, or to call me before he does anything extensive, that he would do so.

41992177_10156513105500822_8921485365508833280_n.jpg

Finding a good shop is key. And tough.
I've had really crappy experiences with the shops here. And that was with more modern stuff, which is what they should know well, being authorized service centers. No way would I trust them with my $s on vintage stuff.
I either fix it myself(if/when I can) or move it along.

I'll stick my big nose in on your issue. I have an amp I though about getting repaired. I asked about others repair experiences with local shops, at local AK member get-togethers. In the end I got conflicting opinions on shop in question and have not repaired yet.
NY area, I've seen threads of a couple regular get togethers. Maybe find good trusted shop ideas there, and maybe not.
OG

Last edited:
I'll stick my big nose in on your issue. I have an amp I though about getting repaired. I asked about others repair experiences with local shops, at local AK member get-togethers. In the end I got conflicting opinions on shop in question and have not repaired yet.
NY area, I've seen threads of a couple regular get togethers. Maybe find good trusted shop ideas there.
OG

Thanks OG. Yeah, there are going to be different ideas about all this stuff. I should really try to make it to one of the get togethers in my area. I wish I knew electronics! But your idea is well taken.

NY area, I've seen threads of a couple regular get togethers. Maybe find good trusted shop ideas there.
OG
Yeah. There might even be a member who does repairs in the area. I know there's an AKer who does(mostly?) Dual turntables there.

Thanks OG. Yeah, there are going to be different ideas about all this stuff. I should really try to make it to one of the get togethers in my area. I wish I knew electronics! But your idea is well taken.
In N. Illinois S. Wisconsin, longer time members than myself, do network, sharing sources, swapping gear. I've bought and sold couple items at them. Talk stereo for hours, have beer and lunch. Just like here, met friendly people.

Last edited:
In N. Illinois S. Wisconsin, longer time members than myself, do network, sharing sources, swapping gear. I've bought and sold couple items at them. Talk stereo, have beer and lunch.

Yeah, there are definitely some guys here who put things together on a regular basis. Might have to go upstate a little, but it would be worth it.

Hmmm, it's almost lunch time, but I better put off the beer...until later! :beerchug:

Back
Top Bottom