Today's JAZZ playlist

Do you guys remember Radio Shack's "SUPER TWEETERS"? I have to use them paired with my Optimus 10 speakers because Op 10s only have 10-18k frequency response. I love Optimus 10 speakers because of the very tight and impressive bass response (8" woofer and 10" drone - or passive radiator for you younger guys), but the highs suck. With Super Tweeters, they rock.

Super Tweeters are long gone (expect for the occasional eBay listing) but Amazon is selling a knock off, the Pyramid TW-28s, for $18 with prime shipping.
I ordered a pair for my Bedroom surround system (Kenwood 50 watt AV Receiver and Onkyo surround speakers) because the Onkyo speakers are like the Op 10s. They really lack high frequency response being designed for surround audio and not high fidelity music. With these tweeters, they sound awesome. These LOOK and SOUND like the old Radio Shack Super Tweeters, and for under 20 bucks, they are amazing. I would say that some may think our older ears need these to boost the high frequencies, but honestly, I needed them on some speakers when I was 17, so it's not just age.

41saX6LUWiL._SX450_.jpg

LINK TO AMAZON HERE

With the Onkyo Main speakers in my bedroom;

IMG_20180923_140327.jpg

I need a set of these. I have a set of Realistic Nova 7B's and a set of Nova 8's that have great bass response also, but rolled-off highs. I thought about the old Super Tweeters but the eBay pricing is discouraging. I was considering trying to replace the tweeters, but this is a much better option.

Do you connect these in parallel with your main speakers, or do you connect them to separate speaker output on your amp? I suppose you could use an L-Pad for balancing output if needed?

@tomcatmixd , I tend agree with the above.
I'm NOT saying disregard the 'all in one' solutions. I don't have experience with them, and I'm not the type to dismiss something I don't know.
But, I HAVE done a lot of ripping, and have done it without much expense. I use a Windows machine, with EAC for ripping(to FLAC) and MP3Tag for fixing any mucked up tags. There are tons of playback options.
There are plenty of options out there,obviously. One of the go-to rippers is dbPoweramp. It will cost a bit, but if you're doing a huge library it may be worth it for you. It also brings other tools to the table.

Am I an expert at this? Heck no. I'm just a regular guy with regular computer skills.
There are guys over on the digital forums that know a lot more than I do. At the same time, I've noticed that many of these newbie threads end up with a few people claiming their way is the best, and the OP gets lost in the shuffle.

One massive thing I'll say about this, and it applies to the all-in-one units, any operating system, and any software. Tagging things to how you want it/them is an absolute must.
A lot of claims will be made about how "my way is the best, it tags automatically". Bullshit. Noway nohow can a program get it right every time for how YOU want it.
From the start, sort out how you want it done, and stick with it. Here's an example:

John Coltrane, Blue Train MFSL cd.
I go with John Coltrane as the artist. Some may go with Coltrane, John.
Some go with whatever artwork pops up, I go with the cover that looks like the CD issue.
Some go with the year that the CD was released(1994-ish?), I go with what year the album was released.
Some might just use Blue Train as the title. I use Blue Train (1994 MFSL) as the title.
Some leave the comments empty. I think that's a waste of a resource, and make sure I put Blue Note, and MFSL there. It makes searching for either easier.
Genre is another one. Do you want to sort you collection with every sub-genre of jazz? Some do, but I don't. Bop, big band, vocal jazz, guitar jazz, whatever. It's all just jazz in my collection.

And yeah, like Tom said, make sure to backup.

Really appreciate the feedback @KrisM, @Phil-from-Tn, @BillyBatts, and @arclight73!

And yeah, @KrisM, I'm pretty much a regular guy with regular computer skills like yourself...so I'm relatively confident that I can put together a solution that works (although, I'll be looking for the Mac OS versions of EAC, MP3Tag, and dbPoweramp, etc). Also really appreciate the tips on tagging...although I wish there was a way to link the media to my Discogs database. ;)

Assuming that something like @Phil-from-Tn's 4TB drive will suffice for media storage(?). Lots of choices for that, I know.

Thanks again for all the info,
TL

P.S. That Blue Train MFSL pressing must sound sweet!

I need a set of these. I have a set of Realistic Nova 7B's and a set of Nova 8's that have great bass response also, but rolled-off highs. I thought about the old Super Tweeters but the eBay pricing is discouraging. I was considering trying to replace the tweeters, but this is a much better option.

Do you connect these in parallel with your main speakers, or do you connect them to separate speaker output on your amp? I suppose you could use an L-Pad for balancing output if needed?

You just connect them in Parallel. I remember years ago connecting the super tweeters to the B speaker side of my Yamaha CA-810 amplifier on top of my Optimus 10 floor speakers, so I could cut them in and out, but that's a waste of time and speaker wire because you ALWAYS want them IN. I believe these have a crossover (in circuit) inside the case, so I don't think you need an L-Pad. Just hook them up in parallel with a 2' section of speaker wire and enjoy. They do come with a template for taking the tweeters out of the case and mounting them directly into a speaker set, but it's just too easy to set them on top of your speakers and be done with it.

What is the deal with rolling-off highs with those old Radio Shack speakers? I am very familiar with Nova 8s and 7bs as well as Optimus 10s. To design a speaker system with a top range of 18k was very odd. It's almost like they WANTED you to have to purchase super tweeters to complement the sub-standard high-range of their off-the-shelf speaker sets.

Well, anyway, I've been delighted with these for under 20 bucks a pair. No complaints from me. Hope they work for you.

Last edited:
Move quickly without forward address, before 750 people find you, asking for a mil. And every relative. Don't think I'd invest in a Jazz record company. Oh, miss read, Blue Note Jazz Club! That could be fun.

KSDS San Diego for now

Yes, you'd have to isolate yourself a bit. Everyone and their brother in your life would have their hand out for a Mil her and a Mil there.

Investing in a Blue Note JAZZ CLUB would be a blast. You'd get to see live Jazz performances, and MEET the performers because you owned the club. Putting one in Disney Village would certainly guarantee a full house every night. That place is wall to wall tourists. With that kind of money, you have a world of possibilities.

You just connect them in Parallel. I remember years ago connecting the super tweeters to the B speaker side of my Yamaha CA-810 amplifier on top of my Optimus 10 floor speakers, so I could cut them in and out, but that's a waste of time and speaker wire because you ALWAYS want them IN. I believe these have a crossover (in circuit) inside the case, so I don't think you need an L-Pad. Just hook them up in parallel with a 2' section of speaker wire and enjoy. They do come with a template for taking the tweeters out of the case and mounting them directly into a speaker set, but it's just too easy to set them on top of your speakers and be done with it.

What is the deal with rolling-off highs with those old Radio Shack speakers? I am very familiar with Nova 8s and 7bs as well as Optimus 10s. To design a speaker system with a top range of 18k was very odd. It's almost like they WANTED you to have to purchase super tweeters to complement the sub-standard high-range of their off-the-shelf speaker sets.

Well, anyway, I've been delighted with these for under 20 bucks a pair. No complaints from me. Hope they work for you.

I believe I saw the power handling was 300 watts on those tweets. Robust, for that price.
I think the sound level of speaker and tweeter in parallel may depend a lot on thier relative efficiency, IMO. Might need some kind of added resistance if not right balance?
I have two pair different version ADS in parallel, having same SPL rating. Think have similar volume.

Last edited:
Yes, you'd have to isolan'tte yourself a bit. Everyone and their brother in your life would have their hand out for a Mil her and a Mil there.

Investing in a Blue Note JAZZ CLUB would be a blast. You'd get to see live Jazz performances, and MEET the performers because you owned the club. Putting one in Disney Village would certainly guarantee a full house every night. That place is wall to wall tourists. With that kind of money, you have a world of possibilities.

I'd join you in that jazz club investment , If had capitol. They just couldn't depend on my business decisions for survival.

Really appreciate the feedback @KrisM, @Phil-from-Tn, @BillyBatts, and @arclight73!

And yeah, @KrisM, I'm pretty much a regular guy with regular computer skills like yourself...so I'm relatively confident that I can put together a solution that works (although, I'll be looking for the Mac OS versions of EAC, MP3Tag, and dbPoweramp, etc). Also really appreciate the tips on tagging...although I wish there was a way to link the media to my Discogs database. ;)

Assuming that something like @Phil-from-Tn's 4TB drive will suffice for media storage(?). Lots of choices for that, I know.

Thanks again for all the info,
TL

P.S. That Blue Train MFSL pressing must sound sweet!
Glad to be of (any) help.
I'm not up on the Mac OS side of things, but no doubt there are people here who are.

I think 4TB drives are kinda the sweet spot for music storage right now. TONS of room, and not too expensive. Affordable enough that a 2nd drive(or more) for backup won't break the bank, either.
One thing you might to consider is a quick calculation of how much music you plan to rip, and get a drive that will hold that, and give you plenty of room to add to it. If you go with FLAC, a really rough guide is about 300MB per 'regular' jazz album. Or just think of it as 3 albums per GB. Obviously stuff like double disc sets and boxsets would take up more room. And that is at CD resolution. If you end up downloading ri-rez stuff it'll take up more space. Same for putting any files with video on there.

There are plenty of playback options. That would depend on how you want to get things setup, and your gear.
I use a really simple solution for playing back FLAC files on my music hard drive.
https://www.stratospherix.com/products/filebrowser/
They don't make a big deal out of it in their literature, but I just browse to an album folder I want to play on an ios device, click on the first track and it plays the album. It's a really bare bones playback chain, but it works for my needs. I'm not much of a 'playlist' kinda guy.
The same company offers a more dedicated music player app, too.

Yeah, that Blue Train is great. One of the first jazz discs I bought way back when I got into jazz, along with Giant Steps and a 2 disc Coltrane comp.
It is solidly in that "pry it from my cold, dead hands" category.

Anyway, there's a lot of info to sift through when getting started with this stuff, but it's not daunting. It just takes a bit of research to sort out how you want to go about it.
And honestly, the good thing about the free(and almost free) software is that you can dip your toes into the water, and then go from there.

Back
Top Bottom