Today's JAZZ playlist

m1ujwv7.png

Ronnie Ross & Allan Ganley (Atlantic)
View attachment 1302560
View attachment 1302561
New to me - swinging, happy West coast style jazz - great way to start my day!

Hmm! Always something new to learn!

^^^^Both are new to me as well, but I will be on the lookout. Thanks guys...

They keep saying Jeff Healey's show is currently "ON HIATUS". So evidently JUST A PAUSE! Let's hope it comes back.

That's what I was talking about a few weeks back. It seems to start/run/stop in fits with no real plan. I think they might use it to fill in gaps in other programming. I wish it was available as a regular podcast. Maybe we need to lobby the Healey family (!).

May I ask was it the commute, or the album that was "Not without it's challenges"? I find Shepp to be hit or miss for me.

The music. I mentioned something similar to your sentiments above in another thread-- "uneven." But that depends on where you're coming from; your "musical worldview," I suppose. I like "outside" music that keeps one foot firmly inside. Which is why I dig Dolphy and Pharoah Sanders most of the time, Shepp and Braxton some of the time; rarely the AEofC or intense Albert Ayler, almost never someone like Cecil Taylor. Even Coltrane, a supreme favorite of mine with nearly 40 albums in my collection, will lose me in the "Sunship"-and-beyond era. Squeak, Squonk, Billadiddle-la-bleh.

But, I do like to keep an open mind, and to be challenged sometimes too.

GJ

For sure, not everyone.

But Bird's darker influences were pervasive, no?

Well, I wouldn't lay that at Bird's feet. Yeah, I guess there were some, who erroneously thought that if they used, that would elevate their playing and they would become more like him. But I don't think we can blame the whole drug scene on Charlie Parker! Or just heroin. Of course, there were all different drugs around, and many musicians partook. I haven't read up on the experience of everyone, but it would seem that many, if not all, the people in Mal Waldron's circle, were into them, according to Waldron.

That's what I was talking about a few weeks back. It seems to start/run/stop in fits with no real plan. I think they might use it to fill in gaps in other programming. I wish it was available as a regular podcast. Maybe we need to lobby the Healey family (!).

GJ

I really treasure many of CJRT's programs. "Big Band with Glen Woodcock", "Dinner Jazz", and for sure "My Kind of Jazz with Jeff Healey".
I would love a podcast of them. CJRT has the archives, but they don't share them anywhere on social media. No Youtube, no Mixcloud, nothing.

Well, I wouldn't lay that at Bird's feet. Yeah, I guess there were some, who erroneously thought that if they used, that would elevate their playing and they would become more like him. But I don't think we can blame the whole drug scene on Charlie Parker! Or just heroin. Of course, there were all different drugs around, and many musicians partook. I haven't read up on the experience of everyone, but it would seem that many, if not all, the people in Mal Waldron's circle, were into them, according to Waldron.

I think lots of folks wanted to emulate Bird, but they didn't realize his genius wasn't manufactured in a lab, and it was all of that practicing he had done that created amazing facility, not wishes. He would have been _better_ straight, which is something to think about!

Pops (Armstrong) was a pothead, he loved what he called "muggles." So I guess if we were looking to lay blame...

GJ

Back
Top Bottom